aircooled MegaDork
May 1, 2017 12:08 p.m.

For Wednesday: Mini's at Brands Hatch:

MINI - Mini Cooper 1.3i - 1998

We will start with 480pp and CS tires to start (full tuning).

https://www.youtube.com/embed/v4BXd3nzo-w

We will also try to get some of this in:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/T8SR_B91FX4

MercedesC111 New Reader
May 1, 2017 5:16 p.m.

Cool! I better get myself one, that'll be seriously different challenge. Driving the 2011 Mini Cooper in the race last night was fun but a whole new technique to master going fast in FF.

aircooled MegaDork
May 1, 2017 9:53 p.m.

Did a bit of testing. We probably need to bump the tire up a bit. Dirt, is uh... challenging (make sure you know where your e-brake button is). Snow is pretty fun, not sure about visibility.

Make sure to try and paint your car some suitably 60's color.

dean1484 MegaDork
May 2, 2017 8:46 p.m.

I have to remember to set up the e brake. I have never used it.

dean1484 MegaDork
May 2, 2017 8:48 p.m.

I have to back and look at my cars in order of when used I seem to remember there being a couple that I think would make for great non tuner cars.

aircooled MegaDork
May 6, 2017 12:16 p.m.

I think the idea of using a series of spec cars is good. We have gotten bored with a single car before. Some sort of theme of course would be nice. E.g. We once did an air cooled series that started in bugs and ended in 911's

The other issue we have is the small number of regulars. I am thinking because how good most of the online drivers have been (the nice thing about the game being so old, the F you mother crowd has moved on) we probably want to run the series rooms as open.

I don't want to try and track a bunch of random people for points though, so there will need to be some sort of standard (e.g. I won't track someone unless they have run at least twice)

dean1484 MegaDork
May 6, 2017 6:49 p.m.

Like that very much

dean1484 MegaDork
May 8, 2017 8:02 p.m.

So last night only dan showed up and the I got booted clear out of the game and off the PSN. So I parked it for the evening.

dean1484 MegaDork
May 14, 2017 12:40 p.m.

So for tonight we are going to be testing corvettes. Get the cars in the photo and the tune is simple. Sports Soft and add a six speed trans. If the car comes with a tunable trans then set it to stock. That is it. No other changes. I just tested all of them and they are all entertaining. They are all different. I think this could be fun to run a series with two races in a car then we jump to the next one and run two races. HC would be applied by adding/subtracting weight and/or adjusting the limiter.

Here is the list.

e30Matt Dork
May 17, 2017 9:27 a.m.

So, what's on the docket for tonight? Hopefully I can both see and be seen this time, and if very lucky maybe even heard consistently.

dean1484 MegaDork
May 17, 2017 9:30 a.m.

Sauce,

is it your PS3 or is it something with you ISP?

dean1484 MegaDork
May 17, 2017 9:31 a.m.

Are you hard wired or are you using WIFI?

dean1484 MegaDork
May 17, 2017 9:32 a.m.

Ohhh one other if you are hard wired are you going to the router provided by the cable people or do you have a 2nd router? I had a 2nd router and if I went through that my connection was wonky.

aircooled MegaDork
May 17, 2017 10:37 a.m.

I am looking to try and re-create this:

I am considering using the Riverside track I created, but it's not terribly exciting and we can't change tracks if I do that.

These are the cars we have to work with. It would be easiest to work with stock cars, but they are not very even. Maybe add power to the vetts? What I am looking for is the classic power vs handling, which historically and slightly counter intuitively was power for the Cobra and Handling for the Vette (the original Cobra had a horrible suspension). The Cobras power is generally hard to control in corners, so maybe that will do it?

• Shelby Cobra 427 - 1966 536pp
  • Shelby Cobra 427 S/C Chrome Line 540pp
  • AC Cars 427 S/C - 1966 518pp

• Chevrolet Corvette Coupe (C2) - 1963 430pp

• Chevrolet Corvette Z06 (C2) - Race Car 1963 580pp
  • Chevrolet Corvette Stingray L46 350 (C3) - 1969 464pp

I am pretty sure this is a picture of the Cobras front suspension (!): (editing as I am going along here)

It looks like the rear setup is similar. Hey, it's actually IRS!! (similar to the Vettes actually)

e30Matt Dork
May 17, 2017 10:40 a.m.

In reply to dean1484:

It's my isp. I'm on wireless but wired doesn't change anything. I'm using my own router, but it is the same that I used at my last 2 residences with no issue. I've also tried factory reset of the router, fixed IP, and everything else I could find on Google. No matter what I do I'm stuck with NAT type 3, which I believe is the problem.

dean1484 MegaDork
May 19, 2017 7:16 a.m.

So for Sunday any ideas? We could do more testing of the classic car series we did on Wednesday.

I know we did this already but a hot hatch face off between the civic and the focus could be fun.

aircooled MegaDork
May 19, 2017 4:05 p.m.

There is still work to be done with the classic race cars if you can't think of anything else. We have not tried tuning or tire wear. I would be interested to see what the Cobra does with a tune (suspension is super sloppy stock).

bslate3 New Reader
May 19, 2017 10:10 p.m.

Define Classic Race Cars. The Nissan R32 Race Car is a blast with a good tune.

aircooled MegaDork
May 20, 2017 12:14 p.m.

We were doing more pre-70's cars, but that R32 looks interesting. Can it be painted?

dean1484 MegaDork
May 24, 2017 7:20 a.m.

What is the plan tonight air??

aircooled MegaDork
May 24, 2017 12:00 p.m.

Well, I seem to be influenced what I see on TV recently. Yesterday I was watching that Wayne Carini show and he found a very low mileage version of one of these:

I want to look at the R32 Race car that Slate mentioned also. It may not be paintable though:

dean1484 MegaDork
May 24, 2017 12:14 p.m.

Ohhhhh the Dino is one of my "best" cars. I have one tuned that is excellent. Used it in the CSC series that Argo put together.

dean1484 MegaDork
May 24, 2017 12:15 p.m.

I think there is a paint-able version of the R32. Maybe a chrome line or something?

dean1484 MegaDork
May 24, 2017 6:10 p.m.

May run a little late tonight I am at a concert with family (school event).

dean1484 MegaDork
May 25, 2017 8:22 a.m.

Air,

The 561 Cars were a lot of fun and it seemed that we had a great group of different cars that were mixing it up. Definitely need to do more of those.

I could see a series of the 561 cars for sure!!!

10 11 12 13 14 15 16

You'll need to log in to post.

Also on Classic Motorsports

Pretty in Pink: An Unlikely Austin-Healey Story

1 day ago in Articles

Don't be fooled by the unlikely livery: This one-off show car was also a Healey works racer.

Classic Motorsports Car Catcher: Alfa Spider

1 day ago in News

Looks like a good car for a cross-country drive to us.

2018 Monterey Car Week Moved a Week Later

1 day ago in News

Monterey Car week will move one week later in 2018.

Window Shopper: Porsche 964

2 days ago in Articles

More features, less money.

Coming Up for Advanced Distributors: The Bonneville Salt Flats

2 days ago in News

A Datsun puckup truck running on the Bonneville salt flats?

Restoration Impossible: Gauges Like New

4 days ago in Project Cars

Nisonger brings our Elan's destroyed gauges back to life.

Kick off Monterey Car Week Right

4 days ago in News

Save the Date: Our Monterey Welcome Party Will Visit Pacific Grove, California, on August 15.

Mlassic Motorsports Magazine

Subscribe Today

Also get your instant access to the digital edition of Classic Motorsports Magazine!

Learn More
ZXlZ92DB1QLn48g9oR5xeXsYHeIOWcc1