1 2 3
singleslammer
singleslammer UltraDork
6/17/15 10:01 p.m.

Its currently on sale from Steam. I got it.

failboat
failboat UltraDork
6/25/15 4:25 a.m.

The original game is fun and plenty challenging with the maps and trucks provided. When i first started trying out mods, I was only trying out new trucks, and most of the time I felt like they took away from the game because they NEVER got stuck. If you want a challenge with new trucks you have to get some of the community made maps too.

Here's a handful of screenshots from the Blackwater Canyon map I downloaded. The map comes with 3 new trucks, the Peterbuilt, the Dually, and a YJ Jeep Wrangler. I've replaced the wrangler with the F-250. This map is huge, and aside from the easily visible roads on the map there are a ton of side trails everywhere that are muddy and challenging. The more main roads are narrow and bumpy, its easy to roll a truck if you choose a poor line or get too close to the edge, and if you mess up, easy to get into situations you probably can't get out of.

Rolled down a hill to a point this truck is unrecoverable (using other trucks)

Just rescued one F-250 with another...

...then minutes later rolled one down a hill. Wont be able to recover this one.

Thankfully this map has a ton of unlocked trucks scattered around it you can switch to.

singleslammer
singleslammer UltraDork
6/25/15 9:50 a.m.

I am having trouble opening up the garages or finding trailers. Might have to do some googling.

failboat
failboat UltraDork
6/25/15 10:42 a.m.

on each map you should start out at a garage. whatever truck you choose to drive, if you stop in the boxed area of this unlocked garage, a menu should pop up allowing you to add or remove attachments from your truck. you'll see some attachments dont work with others, and some require other attachments in order to be installed.

to unlock other garages, youll have to attach a garage carriage (2 points) or garage trailer (4 points) to a truck and haul it to the other garage. you need 4 points to unlock a garage. this opens the garage for repair and parts swapping.

you should also be able to install the various log trailers at an open garage. The 2 small trucks dont have trailers. The small blue truck can haul logs but its also only 2wd so I found it pretty useless most of the time.

When you drive into the logging site area, once you get the truck lined up just right with the trailer (which is sometimes a bitch) you can auto-load the logs. You can also find loose logs scattered around the maps that you can manually load with the crane attachment. Its tricky at first but kind of fun. Load 3 logs and get them lined up right and it will prompt you to load the trailer and you'll have a full load of logs. You'll also have to do this if you accidentally tip your truck over and dump the load out.

singleslammer
singleslammer UltraDork
6/25/15 11:07 a.m.

Got it, I was running the flood map which didn't start me at a garage. I will try a different map.

failboat
failboat UltraDork
6/30/15 12:43 p.m.

playing with some more trucks and maps.

solfly
solfly HalfDork
10/26/17 6:12 a.m.

this comes to consoles next week, anyone going for it?

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
10/26/17 8:04 a.m.

It does? I sort of lost track of it a while ago. Might be worth it. 

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
10/26/17 8:15 a.m.

In reply to solfly :

I played it for close to 20 hours after getting it on PC. I really enjoyed it. If you like technical games, this is for you. 

gunner
gunner Reader
10/27/17 6:53 a.m.

Looks like the new version -Mudrunner- will be out Halloween. 

failboat
failboat UberDork
10/27/17 9:04 a.m.

From a FAQ on Steam:

Spintires: MudRunner is the ultimate version of Spintires. Developed not only for PC but also for the first time for PS4 and Xbox One. It's a huge upgrade over its predecessor, as this edition comes complete with "a brand new Sandbox Map joining the original game's 5 environments, a total graphical overhaul, a new Challenge mode with 9 new dedicated maps, 13 new vehicles and other comprehensive improvements." Original Spintires players on Steam will get 50% off MudRunner as a loyalty discount.

A map editor is confirmed for PC version.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/675010/discussions/0/1471969431583286140/

well 55% off on steam since have the original game, I went ahead and purchased it for PC. Never played online before on spintires but might as well jump onboard with the new release. 

solfly
solfly HalfDork
11/1/17 6:06 a.m.

i bought it but have not had power since sunday night

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
11/1/17 9:01 a.m.

In reply to solfly :

WTF happened there? That is a long time to be without power. 

failboat
failboat UberDork
11/1/17 12:26 p.m.

Several steam reviews detail why Mudrunner seems to just be picking up where the Spintires off:  

"The Developer, Pavel Zagrebelny, owns the rights to the game engine and has done some work on it despite not being paid by the original publisher Oovee. For him to give us these updates, he had to go through a DIFFERENT PUBLISHER to get it out to us. The original Spintires will NEVER receive an update ever again as Oovee has taken the money from that game and started an entirely new business that has nothing to do with video games."

I did get home and tinker with Mudrunner for about 20 minutes on my lunch break. It is more polished than Spintires for sure. Controller support seems to be much better implemented. It worked really well before but there were still things that were easier to use the keyboard and mouse for. It appears that this has been improved to where you can kick back in your recliner or on your couch and only need your controller.  Overall its the same game but with some additional content and improvements, the graphics were pretty good before but they are even sharper now.  

RevRico
RevRico UltraDork
11/1/17 12:44 p.m.

Wow. Looking at those early screenshots and missions I'm going to have to look for this on the One. 

ahutson03
ahutson03 Reader
11/1/17 7:18 p.m.

Just downloaded it today, I love it, but it is also one of the most frustrating games I’ve ever played. You really get the sense when things go wrong that, yep, this is going to take some time to get right...

ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
11/1/17 7:34 p.m.

The trailer doesn't seem to do a good job of communicating what you actually do in the game.  What is the objective?  It looks fun and challenging, but I'm not really into sandbox games.

failboat
failboat UberDork
11/2/17 6:44 a.m.

At its core its a logging simulator. Drive truck to logging site and load up the logs, deliver to another site. There are other objectives like unlocking garages on the map which you can use to swap out parts and components on your trucks. 

You'll certainly be spending time using multiple trucks, often to rescue one that you got stuck somewhere. Or you might start out with a map where one of the trucks you NEED is fully damaged, or out of fuel, and you have to either bring repair parts or fuel to it.

When you start looking at user made content like additional trucks and maps, that is where it can become more of a sandbox type game. Some maps get designed simply for exploring or challenging off roading. (those screenshots from the original Spintires above are user made DLC content) But there were plenty of maps built with similar logging objectives. 

ahutson03 if its your first time playing, the Challenge Mode offers up some smaller maps and focused objectives to sort of get you used to what you can do in the game. It will certainly gear you up for taking on a full map with no guidance. 

RevRico
RevRico UltraDork
11/4/17 2:52 p.m.

Bought it today, been playing about an hour so far.

The camera sucks, driving in first person isn't bad, but dealing with a trailer or trees males 3rd person necessary and it just sucks. The map is neat, but the navigation nodes are terrible and difficult to use.

Other than those two not so minor complaints though, this is awesome. Winching all over the place, dragging trucks around, I haven't even bothered getting the lumber I need for the big map just screwing around. 

I'll be very interested to try multiplayer.

ahutson03
ahutson03 Reader
11/6/17 10:24 p.m.

Once I got used to manipulating the camera I liked it a lot more, I could start to tell why they did it the way they did.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Digital Experience Director
11/7/17 12:25 p.m.

I've put a few hours into it on Xbox One now, and I've gotta say it's exactly what I expected–good and bad. I can already tell I'm going to love it, though. Driving through the woods is boring. Losing all of your trucks in a river and fishing them out is exciting!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UltraDork
11/7/17 12:57 p.m.

In reply to Tom Suddard :

If driving through the woods is boring you're not trying hard enough- yesterday I got a truck with a load of long logs through like 300m of dense foliage with nothing but a winch and an ironclad refusal to turn around just because the trail didn't go where I wanted.

boaty mcfailface
boaty mcfailface UberDork
11/8/17 10:05 a.m.

left and right dpad buttons quickly cycle through your default camera locations (left dpad truck cameras, right dpad trailer cameras),  While driving I use the right thumbstick to push the camera forward and up top of the truck, then tilt it down so i can see the front of the truck. kind of like a roof cam so to speak.  I honestly think the interior cam is completely useless with no working mirrors. 

I mostly used the default camera setting on the previous game, but this time around feel like I can see a little better with my makeshift roof camera. 

Steam tells me I have about 10+ hours into the game. I got 3 stars on all the challenge mode maps. I think I played the first single player map on casual in about an hour.

Started the 2nd single player map on hardcore, and also set my available starting trucks to the 2 most basic trucks (jeep like thing and the blue stakebed truck) figuring I could just explore the map to unlock the trucks I needed for logging. Probably have almost 3 hours into that map now, about 20 minutes more needed to get the final log delivery done.  That yellow bulldozer like truck is almost like cheating, the tires are huge. Easy to pull the garage trailers to unlock garages. Good for recovering stuck or rolled trucks.

artur1808
artur1808 New Reader
11/15/17 7:21 a.m.

Just got this the other day and decided to give it a shot. I'm not a big gamer but this game pulled me in and took hours from my life. 

Anybody have any tricks on how you're supposed to align your trailer at the logging station? Seems like I end up wiggling it back and forth about 20 times before I satisfy some sort of mysterious requirements for loading a trailer. 

RevRico
RevRico UltraDork
11/15/17 7:31 a.m.

In reply to artur1808 :

Practice. 

Until I decided to just use the small truck and take multiple trips, I had a heck of a time getting the trailers figured out. What I learned:

The trailer itself needs to be level with the truck bed, but the truck itself doesn't have to be level. 

Don't be afraid to use the winch instead of trying to drive either. Especially when the arrow looks like your close, I found slight pulls on the winch much much easier than trying to turn around and level up again. 

My big problem with the trailers is tipping over after they're loaded and then needing to recover the logs or go get loaded again. I can't for the life of me use the crane or log moving thing (k700) in any sort of efficient manner. 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XGM5wCQmNCTFi2lVi066NfPSolx4tgI0Hr8SOehF9WzyQB0uaCzEnU6VkA0n0M7g