jv8
jv8 Reader
9/19/16 8:14 a.m.

Anyone racing in VR?

I built an Oculus Rift setup specifically for racing. So far it's been a major bust. Two problems:

1) I love sim racing on an old school 90" 2D projection screen... but in the 3D head-tracking VR world I get motion sickness! I've been playing 3D games on 2D screens since Wolfenstein 3D. This is the first time I couldn't stomach the disconnect between my eyes and lack of real G forces.

2) The 3D VR system works great for objects up close (cockpit, etc). But when staring out in the distance the lack of resolution really shows. The road ahead looks noticeably pixelated. It's also too far away to benefit from stereoscopic 3D and head position cues. VR works much better for simulating "being in a room".

I could probably get used to #2 but #1 is a deal-breaker.

I wonder if a motion seat/chassis would make VR sickness better or worse? On one hand it's more not-exactly-true-to-life stimulus... but on the other hand if I could connect some real G forces with visual stimulus maybe my brain & stomach would be happier.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
9/19/16 8:37 a.m.

I need to take on of our headsets and give this a shot. What game were you playing? I have no issues with resolution in VR. But then again, I'm not a graphics junky. LFS is probably my favorite PC race sim, and it very dated from a graphics standpoint.

jv8 wrote: This is the first time I couldn't stomach the disconnect between my eyes and lack of real G forces.

You ever done one of those "rides" at an amusement park where you sit on a platform that tilts/pitches while you look at a screen in front of you which is supposed to be the windshield of a plane or something to that effect? Most sickening ride possible at a park...

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
9/19/16 8:37 a.m.

Kind of related but I was watching a show last night on drone racing and they use headsets with cameras on the drones. It looked REALLY cool. They did note that motion sickness was a problem for some people.

xflowgolf
xflowgolf Dork
9/19/16 8:39 a.m.
ProDarwin wrote: You ever done one of those "rides" at an amusement park where you sit on a platform that tilts/pitches while you look at a screen in front of you which is supposed to be the windshield of a plane or something to that effect? Most sickening ride possible at a park...

Ugh. Yes.

If there's any disconnect in the perceived visual inputs and the motion inputs... bad things happen.

jv8
jv8 Reader
9/19/16 8:55 a.m.

I'm running project cars (which I play on the PS4 no problem).

One other note - I haven't yet moved my wheel/pedal setup over to the VR PC. So not being used to the controller I left the track more than I would normally. Spinning out in VR was nauseating. I will have to try with the wheel/pedals and see if it gets better.

I'm okay with the titles they label "moderate" comfort (like the Lucky's Tale platformer). Project Cars was my first "intense" comfort level rating.

BradLTL
BradLTL SuperDork
11/27/16 8:33 a.m.

I got to sample the PS VR this weekend. Just playing with the demo disc games, I found that I adjusted to the motion disconnect ok after a lap or two, mainly it was hills that messed with me.

The resolution issue was something. The Driveclub demo looked ok up close, but at a distance it looked like an average PS3 game.

I'm not going to write it off yet. Other games didn't seem to have the same resolution issue. Rigs and EVE Valkyrie were impressive.

Argo took it home with him and ordered GT Sport. I'll be interested to hear his review on it.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
11/28/16 7:11 a.m.

I was messing with LFS and the DK2 last weekend. Resolution wasn't an issue, but the 'screen door' effect sure was. The edge of the draw distance was distorted enough that it makes it difficult to see the next corner. Not good for a track you aren't familiar with.

I know the CV1 and Vive are supposed to be better in this regard, but haven't put either to the test with a car sim.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
2/1/17 9:14 p.m.

I should update this. I tested out Project CARS with a Vive last weekend.

Draw distance is much better, screen door effect is reduced. That said, after playing back to back with it on a monitor... its better with a monitor. The FOV is reduced way too much by the VR headset, to the point where I need to physically turn my head to right to even see the tach/speedo. Its probably 70% of what you would see on my old 16:10 monitor. Now I'm running a 21:9 monitor and it feels phenomenally better.

What did feel fantastic in VR though... Sublevel Zero

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
2/2/17 10:24 a.m.

Of note: It is expected that approximately 15% of people will get motion sickness from VR headsets.

TRY BEFORE YOU BUY!

ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
2/2/17 10:27 a.m.

Yes. Both of my friends experienced some level of motion sickness from it.

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
2/2/17 10:49 a.m.

CXC now offers a rig designed for VR Simulators. The seat is suspended on acutuators to help resolve the disconnect between what you see and what you feel. The price tag starts from $50K though so the product is really intended for entertainment venues.

Simcraft's rigs are a fraction of the price, but they don't yet offer an integrated VR package. I bet their base offering could be adapted for VR for about $5K all-in.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
BYzje53sGCJeAZHky9C46CzP1RwdiUlrIpUYdqZUbDQlj9nz4O0pMM8Rjh6FKV2H