1 2
Nick (Bo) Comstock
Nick (Bo) Comstock MegaDork
4/25/17 7:01 p.m.

Apparently the handle bar can fall off.

Anyway I called the dealer to set up an appointment and they said that they won't even order the parts until they have the bike there and will not release it until it's done. They gave me no timeline on how long it takes to get the part.

Is that a common practice?

Luckily I bought the civic because it was my only form of transportation until then. I highly doubt they would have offered a rental or loaner because motorcycles are seen as toys by most people.

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
4/25/17 8:07 p.m.

In reply to Nick (Bo) Comstock:

That seems E36 M3ty. I would wait until it is winter before turning it in. How do the bars fail?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperDork
4/25/17 8:13 p.m.

Tell them they can order the parts, give you a loaner, or eat a big steamy pile of poo? I wonder if a call to Yamaha would straighten things out.

EDIT: Looked it up, I think the recall should just involve some threadlocker and maybe sanding the lower handlebar clamp. Maybe they replace the whole clamp and bolts instead? Either way you should be in and out in under an hour, I can't imagine why they would need to steal your bike while they order the parts.

HappyAndy
HappyAndy PowerDork
4/25/17 8:14 p.m.

In reply to Nick (Bo) Comstock:

Explain to them that you use it as a DD and need as fast a turnaround as possible. If they seem unsympathetic call another dealer and pit them against the first one.

They may not make money on this repair, but they should know that treating you right will bring you back for paying jobs. If they don't understand this they don't deserve your business.

Nick (Bo) Comstock
4/25/17 9:02 p.m.

In reply to ¯_(ツ)_/¯:

They replace the lower clamp. I don't really have a problem with dropping it off and leaving with them. It just seemed odd that those were the first things out of his mouth. I'm going to have the sync the TB's while they have it in anyway as I have yet to buy the tools and have been too lazy to do it myself.

singleslammer wrote: In reply to Nick (Bo) Comstock: That seems E36 M3ty. I would wait until it is winter before turning it in. How do the bars fail?

"Multiple three-cylinder motorcycle models from Yamaha are about to be recalled for a safety issue. The recall concerns the lower handlebar, which may have been improperly painted, and as a result the stud bolt threads may not have had enough thread-locking agent applied.

This means that if the handlebar is struck hard enough, the paint on the handlebar holder might be damaged, which in-turn could cause there to be enough of a clearance difference on the stud bolt to allow it to loosen itself from engine vibration.

Since this could cause the handlebar to come loose (or off) while riding, it poses a safety hazard to the rider, and Yamaha intends to recall the affected models, which includes the 2015-2017 Yamaha FJ-09, 2014-2017 Yamaha FZ-09, and 2016-2017 Yamaha XSR900.

The remedy for affected machines is to install a new handlebar lower. We expect Yamaha and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration to announce this recall in the next few weeks, so stay tuned for more information."

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
4/25/17 9:29 p.m.

Got it, I would just keep an Allen key handy and tighten before each ride until the dealer removes their head from their ass or find another dealer. I would also be hard pressed to pay them for any other work if they can't be bothered to order 100 dollars in parts that Suzuki told them they had to replace.

Huckleberry
Huckleberry MegaDork
4/25/17 9:40 p.m.

For some reason Japanese bike dealerships are anti-customer. No test rides. No loaners. No good faith orders. No berkeleying courtesy whatsoever. I'm berkeleying 48 and have cash and they are still unreasonable twats.

My local place Will let me loose on a Duc or an Aprilia costing double the Yamaha for a couple hours... But no berkeleying MT-10 test rides. No sir. Because Japanese!

Oh... Edit: I'd just fix it myself. It's a clearance issue. You fabricate stuff. You got this. Why waste your time berkeleying around.

Nick (Bo) Comstock
4/25/17 10:11 p.m.

In reply to Huckleberry:

It's a liability thing. I don't think the NHTSA will approve of my backyard hackery. And I know an insurance company wouldn't.

pres589
pres589 PowerDork
4/25/17 10:14 p.m.

Had any issues with the clutch cable yet? If you've posted on this already and I missed it, I apologize.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
4/25/17 10:17 p.m.

How do they expect you to get the bike to the dealership safely?

Nick (Bo) Comstock
4/25/17 10:28 p.m.

In reply to pres589:

Nope.

Nick (Bo) Comstock
4/25/17 10:29 p.m.

In reply to Woody:

Trailer it I guess.

I checked the offending nuts and it's all tight. I'll ride it up there on Saturday.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
4/26/17 6:41 a.m.

Guess you should have stuck with the Hog?

FlightService
FlightService MegaDork
4/26/17 6:46 a.m.

"THE RECALL: Yamaha Motor Corporation, USA (Yamaha) is recalling certain 2015-2017 FJ-09, FZ-09, and XSR900 motorcycles. The lower handlebar holder may loosen due to a painting issue and the inadequate application of the thread-locking agent."

I think your dealer is a berkeleying shiny happy person that is trying to get you to buy a different bike by sowing a seed of distrust in your current ride through the disappointment of missing part of the riding season and thought of crashing the bike.

I would call Yamaha directly and ask them if it is the SOP for them to refuse to order parts on a suspect unit until it is at the dealership.

FlightService
FlightService MegaDork
4/26/17 6:47 a.m.
Appleseed wrote: Guess you should have stuck with the Hog?

That would have been a great idea...LMFAO

Huckleberry
Huckleberry MegaDork
4/26/17 7:00 a.m.

Buy a BMW or KTM. They never recall anything. They just deny there could be anything wrong and charge you full price for the same flawed part that broke.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
4/26/17 7:04 a.m.
Huckleberry wrote: For some reason Japanese bike dealerships are anti-customer. No test rides. No loaners. No good faith orders. No berkeleying courtesy whatsoever. I'm berkeleying 48 and have cash and they are still unreasonable twats. My local place Will let me loose on a Duc or an Aprilia costing double the Yamaha for a couple hours... But no berkeleying MT-10 test rides. No sir. Because Japanese!

This. My dealer sells Jap and Euro stuff. Anytime I bring my bike in for service they're offering to let me try to the newest Euro bike, but there are ZERO Jap bikes in the demo fleet. $20k Duc? Yeah have at it.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
4/26/17 9:37 a.m.

In reply to DaveEstey:

I suppose that's why there are Ducatisti, and then there are fat berkeleys on Hondas.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
4/26/17 9:58 a.m.

i bought mine very lightly used for that reason. Screw them.

Although, the local dealer up north does allow test rides on their used stuff. But nothing new.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
4/26/17 10:00 a.m.
Appleseed wrote: In reply to DaveEstey: I suppose that's why there are Ducatisti, and then there are fat berkeleys on Hondas.

Hey, I represent that comment. Even though I finally sold my Honda and went back to my roots... Yamahammer.

MulletTruck
MulletTruck Reader
4/26/17 10:04 a.m.

I have worked for a Yamaha and a Suzuki dealer for a whole lotta years. The recall is there forever. Keep an eye on the offending bolts and turn it in when the weather gets bad or wait a while and let the rush die down then take it in.

The manufactures have taken the low road on producing a quality product. Very little R&D on their part, bare minimum. Most electrics produced in China, Even Hardley is sending bikes in boxes to India to be assembled.

After having a Hayabusa, SV650, SV1000, GSXR1000, GSF1250 all made after 2005 and they all had recalls.

HappyAndy
HappyAndy PowerDork
4/26/17 10:42 a.m.
Huckleberry wrote: Buy a BMW or KTM. They never recall anything. They just deny there could be anything wrong and charge you full price for the same flawed part that broke.

Did they learn that from Honda, or did Honda learn that from them?

Apexcarver
Apexcarver PowerDork
4/26/17 11:29 a.m.

Call Yamaha customer service. 1-800-962-7926

Complain about the dealers approach.

You will get further talking with the manufacturer than a franchise, especially if the franchise views themselves as only selling toys.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
4/26/17 1:38 p.m.
Bobzilla wrote:
Appleseed wrote: In reply to DaveEstey: I suppose that's why there are Ducatisti, and then there are fat berkeleys on Hondas.
Hey, I represent that comment. Even though I finally sold my Honda and went back to my roots... Yamahammer.

I don't recall ever seeing Honda's valve train tattooed on someone's arm, but, hey...

FlightService
FlightService MegaDork
4/27/17 10:39 a.m.
Appleseed wrote: I don't recall ever seeing Honda's valve train tattooed on someone's arm, but, hey...

https://www.youtube.com/embed/b2pSt2gACrc

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
82baraNk6aaUFLgcITP9WTMYMf2VqtRnUBznE4clF58O2NYy5n11byfOTsKHQtDh