FSP_ZX2
FSP_ZX2 Dork
8/19/17 10:54 a.m.

I have seen in other corners of the interwebz that it is pretty popular to use diesel oil (Rotella/Delo/Delvac etc) in wet clutch motorcycle applications.

I have also heard that the diesel oil is not necessarily good with catalytic converters (which are on most light duty diesel vehicles nowadays).

Am I looking for trouble if I use one of the above in a late-model bike? My bike calls for 10W-30, and as motorcycle oils go, that is an unusual weight. Its readily available in Diesel oil.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
8/19/17 11:26 a.m.

Like everything on the Internet, you'll find some vocal opinions either way. With wet clutch bikes I personally tend to stick with m/c specific oil, but that's just me. Any reason you can't just use 10W40 instead of 10W30?

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo MegaDork
8/19/17 11:38 a.m.

Diesel oil isn't loaded with ZDDP anymore (which is bad for cats if you're burning oil), with the new CK4 spec anything gas/diesel dual rated is 800ppm phosphorus max, Rotella is a bit higher since they dropped the gas rating from most of their oils. They've moved on to better ep wear additives.

Rodan
Rodan Reader
8/19/17 3:30 p.m.

I've been using Rotella T6 (synth) in all my street bikes since ~ 2000. No issues, although the only bike I've owned with a cat is my current ride ('15 FJ-09), which only has ~12k miles. Working great so far.

cabbagecop
cabbagecop New Reader
8/19/17 4:30 p.m.

Most of the Rotella oils are JASO rated which is the Japanese motorcycle wet clutch spec so they should be ok.

WOW Really Paul?
WOW Really Paul? MegaDork
8/20/17 1:02 a.m.

In reply to cabbagecop:

Surprisingly not all of them, it is a look closely type of thing.

Huckleberry
Huckleberry MegaDork
8/20/17 6:54 a.m.

Amazon makes finding the right oil easy as pie. Why not just get what it calls for?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cmELxFl4J8RfSTExyYI2bto7oUfYRKZVgycFKuQEny6V2pder7OACt23XfMb0D6O