7/9/17 9:18 a.m.
BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo MegaDork
7/9/17 9:32 a.m.

Isn't that where they normally happen?

APEowner
APEowner Reader
7/9/17 9:46 a.m.

Load the bike with too much weight up high and towards the rear, ignore all the signs that somethings not right and just keep riding till things go all to heck. He probably had bad or missadjusted steering head bearings as well.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro PowerDork
7/9/17 10:10 a.m.

Pipes weren't loud enough.

bentwrench
bentwrench Dork
7/9/17 10:16 a.m.

The most common cause,

LOW TIRE PRESSURE!

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett MegaDork
7/9/17 10:17 a.m.

Ouch!

RealMiniParker
RealMiniParker UberDork
7/9/17 3:05 p.m.

He almost pulled out that 360.

Almost.

But yeah, could be a number of contributing factors, mentioned here. Overloaded in the rear is probably the leading cause.

I read elsewhere, that the person shooting the video saw him get a little wobble earlier, and the guy ignored it and kept on going.

lrrs
lrrs Reader
7/9/17 4:10 p.m.

Bump, while not being relaxed on the bars, then fighting it.

Nick (Bo) Comstock
Nick (Bo) Comstock MegaDork
7/9/17 6:31 p.m.

In reply to lrrs:

His left hand wasn't even on the bars until well after it started to really weave.

Sure looked like he was grinding his face into the asphalt for a long time after his failed 360 grind attempt.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/z3OQTU-kE2s

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
7/10/17 10:24 a.m.

That was brutal to watch. The road rash must have been horrendous.

Good supporting evidence for a pro-gear argument. What might have been a basically injury free accident will probably involve skin grafts, months of misery, and a lifetime of heavy scarring.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
7/10/17 10:31 a.m.
dculberson wrote: That was brutal to watch. The road rash must have been horrendous. Good supporting evidence for a pro-gear argument. What might have been a basically injury free accident will probably involve skin grafts, months of misery, and a lifetime of heavy scarring.

Same thing I thought.

My kids see someone riding down the street like that and immediately point out how silly it is.

NEALSMO
NEALSMO UberDork
7/10/17 11:29 a.m.
dculberson wrote: That was brutal to watch. The road rash must have been horrendous. Good supporting evidence for a pro-gear argument. What might have been a basically injury free accident will probably involve skin grafts, months of misery, and a lifetime of heavy scarring.

First thing I noticed was the pudding bowl helmet, jeans, and a wifebeater. Thank goodness he didn't look like some dork wearing a fullface helmet and hi-viz protective gear.

Huckleberry
Huckleberry MegaDork
7/10/17 11:35 a.m.
lrrs wrote: Bump, while not being relaxed on the bars, then fighting it.

^this

Something happened to upset the bike and he tried to fight it fixing itself. He should have left his other hand off rather than grabbing it tightly with both. Stiffening up on the bars is the worst thing you can do to a wobble. Unless it was a mechanical problem (flat, bearing, etc) - the bike is more stable without a rider.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
7/10/17 1:25 p.m.

Skinned knees and rounded off shoulders are OK-ish, but scuffing your palms along the ground; you find out who your REAL friends are when you have to pee.

oldtin
oldtin PowerDork
7/10/17 2:15 p.m.

biggest issues - ignoring what the bike is telling you and wifebeater as protective gear. Guy was lucky to not make a page on daily gore.

java230
java230 SuperDork
7/10/17 3:20 p.m.

Ouch Ouch ouch. That looks really painful....

Comments said it had been wobbling on/off for awhile.

MulletTruck
MulletTruck Reader
7/10/17 3:59 p.m.

Or you could be messing around.

A video I filmed about 17 years

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YD6jruSIELA

Cooter
Cooter HalfDork
7/10/17 4:18 p.m.

ATGATT

NEALSMO
NEALSMO UberDork
7/10/17 4:55 p.m.
MulletTruck wrote: Or you could be messing around. A video I filmed about 17 years https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YD6jruSIELA

hotlink

Play stupid games win stupid prizes?

MulletTruck
MulletTruck Reader
7/10/17 5:03 p.m.

He has a trophy case full of them!

NEALSMO wrote:
MulletTruck wrote: Or you could be messing around. A video I filmed about 17 years https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YD6jruSIELA
hotlink Play stupid games win stupid prizes?
WOW Really Paul?
WOW Really Paul? MegaDork
8/17/17 10:55 p.m.
bentwrench wrote: The most common cause, LOW TIRE PRESSURE!

Nailed it.

I've had a rear go down at around 75 and had to deal with the rear tramlining. Also had a wicked slapper on initial throttle up while on brand spanking new tires. It's not fun.

Sorry for bumping a month old thread, I don't get around here very often anymore.

Nick (Bo) Comstock
Nick (Bo) Comstock MegaDork
8/18/17 6:00 p.m.

In reply to WOW Really Paul?:

Glad to hear from you! Hope all is going well!

You heal up and get back on the bike yet?

WOW Really Paul?
WOW Really Paul? MegaDork
8/18/17 7:34 p.m.

In reply to Nick (Bo) Comstock:

Finally, I didn't ride at all last year aside from a farewell trip around the block to the green 10r. Then life hit me with a career change. Managed to get out this year every chance on the Muzzy bike. It's a bit faster than before thanks to a better tune....

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/18/17 10:01 p.m.

Nice!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
D0yHm5Ojg742CCNjKMuLuuq1wPRxETwiIcOy5FysrlYUKrfztNFnnMkDpJV7pHeg