sobe_death
sobe_death Dork
6/15/17 10:22 a.m.

Is there a motorcycle-equivalent website out there to car-part.com? I've been trying to search craigslist and FB marketplace, but any time I google for a salvage yard near Denver it just sends me to used motorcycle dealers.

Alternately, any place where motorcycle engines are easily attainable?

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
6/15/17 1:35 p.m.

Sport Wheels in Jordan, MN is one of the biggest motorcycle salvage yards around, and I believe they have a search function on their website.

However, you're probably better off trolling your local Craigslist for entire bikes where you can harvest the engine. I usually see a lot of bikes that are only good as parts donors in my area.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve MegaDork
6/15/17 3:20 p.m.

There is a huge yard here in the PGH area that has tons of classic and late-model bikes, except they are complete Richards and don't want to sell to anyone but their friends. Which would be fine if it were a personal collection, but they advertise themselves as a business! I drove an hour to visit their lot for parts for my CX500 (at the time) and they just acted like ass-hats and turned me away. Why have a sign out front and an "open" sign if you are a bunch of inbred yahoos who only sell to your wife/sister?

Other than that rant, I have no assistance.

benzbaronDaryn
benzbaronDaryn Dork
6/16/17 3:53 a.m.

What do you need? I went to cycle salvage and they didnt have nothin for my bike.

sobe_death
sobe_death Dork
6/16/17 12:30 p.m.

In reply to benzbaronDaryn:

I'm looking for an engine for a BEC project. Preferably a VFR1200, or the ol' reliable Hayabusa. None of my typical Craigslist cities have shown any promise and SearchTempest doesn't seem to be so reliable at getting matches anymore.

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
6/16/17 12:45 p.m.
pinchvalve wrote: There is a huge yard here in the PGH area that has tons of classic and late-model bikes, except they are complete Richards and don't want to sell to anyone but their friends. Which would be fine if it were a personal collection, but they advertise themselves as a business! I drove an hour to visit their lot for parts for my CX500 (at the time) and they just acted like ass-hats and turned me away. Why have a sign out front and an "open" sign if you are a bunch of inbred yahoos who only sell to your wife/sister? Other than that rant, I have no assistance.

Where was this yard at? just in case I need to avoid it.

I bought a wrecked FZR as an engine donor from Norm's in Homestead before, they were really OK. Adam's Cycle is closed now I believe.

Graystang
Graystang New Reader
6/24/17 8:44 p.m.

Wish there was a car part.com for bikes:( I would say the closest thing would be ebay, as much as I hate to recommend them anymore

MulletTruck
MulletTruck Reader
6/24/17 9:52 p.m.

Try the boards of the bikes you want to get engines from. Coparts is a good place to look for crashed bikes. Also add the Suzuki Bandit 1250 to your engine search. Excellent engine for cars.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
C5yI9IgGbRAFd800SPgg1oGnhI5BJbBtmNPV0Bqq1TAEOXC15sOXgBVWljjuviq9