2002colossalfailure
2002colossalfailure Reader
10/31/17 11:21 a.m.

I have to remove and replace both doors on my 1996 Dodge Neon.  Driver's side is rusted through and Passenger's side is smashed in.  I have replacements, and since it's a 2-door they're awkward.  Is there a specific way I should approach this job?  I expect there is an order I should follow to make sure I don't bend or otherwise damage anything.  

NEALSMO
NEALSMO UberDork
10/31/17 11:53 a.m.

Floor jack to support the bottom and adjust height and a second person to stabilize.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver PowerDork
10/31/17 2:33 p.m.

Managed to fly solo and secure the doors on my spitfire a few months back flying solo with a jack.  Took a couple trys to have them adjusted just right though.  (more shutability than gaps, because british racecar)

RevRico
RevRico UltraDork
10/31/17 2:36 p.m.

If you even think you're cross threading a bolt, STOP.

Passenger door on the miata was cake, drivers door I crossed one bolt(of 6) and it's been stiff to open and close since. Stiff meaning leave the window down so you can yank on the door to open it. 

A second person would really help, but a floor jack and patience will get it done. 

2002colossalfailure
2002colossalfailure Reader
11/1/17 5:22 p.m.

Thanks, I have a floor jack and labor I can conscript plus a Haynes.  Hopefully that will be enough.

noddaz
noddaz SuperDork
11/18/17 10:58 a.m.

Late to the party here..  (As usual)  But one thing that helps on a job like this.  Screw a two or three inch stud in the upper hinge hole.   Work the door over to the opening and "hang" it on the stud.  Use a nut on the stud if you want to keep the hinge from sliding off.  This will hold some of the awkward weight of the door while you start other bolts.

RicardoMcGraw
RicardoMcGraw New Reader
2/2/18 1:09 a.m.

As you have to replace two doors, and since you are having the replacements one thing you can do is buy one similar to other or exchange it else you can try something to make door similar but it may lead to damage to those you can contact the experts.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
FTbrWLQcDWcnkSxQyudYOFfjuZd4njcNdurzJel6Q2Fpc3gPd8CwvhyWuOr1RFpA