Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
8/12/16 10:39 a.m.

We've talked about the ClampTite here before. It's basically a tool designed to let you strap things together with safety wire.

I've been using mine on and off around the garage, and I figured I'd share a success story. I needed to clamp a couple of pieces together for a fuel pump housing. Basically, a cylindrical filter/pump assembly and a flexible ring that is supposed to clip around it. I was mixing and matching parts, so the molded in clips didn't work.

Since it would spend the rest of its life immersed in gasoline, a number of adhesives were off the table. I didn't know the specifics of the material other than it felt kind of like UHMW, very slippery. All-metal hose clamps were out of the question as there wasn't a straight band around the pump housing. All the solutions we came up with were either high effort (with questionable success) or simply questionable. We needed something fairly quickly as the car had a dyno appointment, and we needed something permanent.

Two quick passes with the ClampTite with stainless safety wire and it's solid. This puppy isn't going anywhere. A big win for the funky little tool. If you've been considering one, take this as a recommendation. It's not the right solution for every job, but in this case it was definitely the best choice.

I have no affiliation with ClampTite, I'm just a happy customer. This was done with one of the fancy pants CLT01 small tools.

java230
java230 Dork
8/12/16 10:42 a.m.

These are on my wish list since they are just so cool.

turbo_bird
turbo_bird New Reader
3/6/17 10:38 p.m.

I've had one for years, they're pretty handy. It was a souvenir from Australia. I didn't know anything like it was available on this side of the world though.

Kristian

Robbie
Robbie UberDork
5/12/17 9:56 p.m.

I just used mine to fix the big end of a CV boot. I messed up the real clamp being dumb and the clamp Tite really worked great.

I love that you can vary the tension from "almost loose" to "cut your finger off".

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
5/12/17 11:52 p.m.

I can tell you that the repair shown in the original post is still holding strong. It's inside the fuel tank of our prototype ND V8 Miata, which has not had an easy life in the past 6 months

jere
jere HalfDork
5/16/17 8:36 a.m.

Oh man another tool I gotta buy...

I think I have just used plastic cable ties in that situation

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo Mod Squad
5/16/17 6:23 p.m.

We have one and I love it. Used it a few months back when the exhaust system on my 4Runner developed a containment issue due to the pipe bone no longer being connected to the muffler bone. A can of Fosters and a few clamp tite clamps later and she was ready to go. Chose Fosters for the thicker can, then cut it in half and used both layers. Worked great and had not failed when I was able to get it to the local muffler guys a few days later. They chuckled but said they'd seen much worse.

APEowner
APEowner Reader
5/16/17 6:29 p.m.

I think I need one of those in the race hauler.

CrustyRedXpress
CrustyRedXpress Reader
12/20/19 5:06 p.m.

Has anybody tried these to replace t-bolts around silicone hoses for turbo applications? 

EDT
EDT Reader
12/20/19 5:37 p.m.

In reply to CrustyRedXpress :

I have. It worked great for me, I was just sure to do a double loop to minimize the risk of the wire cutting through the silicone. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
12/20/19 5:40 p.m.

The fix in the first post finally got retired in the past year. Not due to failure, but because it bothered some people mentally that it was in there :)

Patientzero
Patientzero Reader
12/20/19 5:47 p.m.

I made my own out of some 1/2" square tubing.  Not *quite* as easy to use as the real thing but it works just the same and it was free.

Not my picture but just like this.

CrustyRedXpress
CrustyRedXpress Reader
12/21/19 11:05 a.m.

Thanks everyone.

My challenge car runs about 10 psi and I have about 25$ of Chinese t-bolts that i'd like to eliminate from the budget.  Will report back if I start to blow off piping.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
NsO9WjzmKWQUnFIa0FDVwlkEXZDmlzjf6qQbTMkBz6zDZkZhiHtOXKSC5fW4k79f