Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy PowerDork
6/26/17 10:35 a.m.

Yes, it is probably fairly nasty. You were probably just going to throw it out.

However, as a splash guard for draining your coolant, ATF or other messy job, it works really well.

Donebrokeit
Donebrokeit Dork
6/26/17 10:55 a.m.

And moving "expired" hookers.

Huckleberry
Huckleberry MegaDork
6/26/17 11:09 a.m.

There are many uses.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo Mod Squad
7/3/17 9:10 a.m.

You can throw plastic shower curtains in the washing machine with a few hand towels. With hot water and some bleach they come out surprisingly clean. Use the delicate cycle to keep the agitation speed low. I toss mine in the dryer for a couple minutes on low to get the wrinkles out. Clean enough to reuse as a shower curtain and certainly clean enough for use in the garage.

759NRNG
759NRNG HalfDork
7/11/17 9:30 a.m.

Mine covers surrounding benches etc. when the saw dust machinery is in use.

wsouders
wsouders New Reader
9/28/17 11:44 p.m.

I use mine as a regular drop cloth for just about everything around the house. They work great when trimming bushes as the little needles from them slide right off into our recycle bag.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
6/7/18 9:03 a.m.

I've been using two old ones for years to do oil changes. 

Professor_Brap
Professor_Brap Reader
6/7/18 9:17 a.m.

I normally buy them at the dollar store and keep a few around to do oil changes and coolant work. 

NOT A TA
NOT A TA Dork
6/7/18 9:38 a.m.
Professor_Brap said:

I normally buy them at the dollar store and keep a few around to do oil changes and coolant work. 

^^^ I agree, just buy. It's only like $3.00 for a shower curtain liner. I'm cheap, but have my limits. By the time a shower curtain liner is soap covered and/or moldy and needs replacement we don't even want to touch it in the shower, so certainly don't want to store it, handle it, and lay on it under a car. 

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler UberDork
6/7/18 10:00 a.m.
Donebrokeit said:

Call girl, Cyril! Trinette takes pride in her work.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
6/7/18 10:25 a.m.

they also make a pretty good masking barrier if you are painting something large. 

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler UberDork
6/7/18 10:32 a.m.

Serious question: Do they do anything a cheap 5x7 tarp wouldn't do just as well?

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy PowerDork
6/7/18 7:53 p.m.

Don't throw out your old 5x7 tarp, either. It does many of the same things but it slightly less waterproof.

bluej (Forum Supporter)
bluej (Forum Supporter) UberDork
2/10/21 7:42 a.m.

They're probably a good solution for lining your canoe.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
2/10/21 8:18 a.m.

Some time on and under due reflection...  getting the heavier gauge shower curtains from lowes or home depot is so much nicer than messing with the cheapie thin ones. 

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
5/1/21 11:24 p.m.
thashane said:
Tom_Spangler said:
Donebrokeit said:

Call girl, Cyril! Trinette takes pride in her work.

No Cyril! When they're dead they're just hook are's.

Really not cool guys. 

They're someone's family too. You  probably know someone who is a sex worker and don't even know it.

thashane
thashane New Reader
5/2/21 3:19 p.m.
Really not cool guys. 

They're someone's family too. You  probably know someone who is a sex worker and don't even know it.

The Cyril reference is a quote from the hillariously offensive animated show "Archer".  No intent to shame sex-work as I consider it to be the eldest profession. I' imagine it'll be legal in the next 10 years. I'll delete my post, but it's now immortalized in quotes.

amerson
amerson New Reader
5/19/21 1:59 a.m.

I use an old shower curtain as a cover for the floor while changing the oil.

robertdavid8520
robertdavid8520 None
7/15/21 3:38 a.m.

I use mine as a mechanic apron. It does help me a lot while dealing with messy tasks. 

Barb_Dwyer
Barb_Dwyer New Reader
7/31/21 8:51 a.m.

In reply to Brett_Murphy :

Plastic shower curtains and hand towels can be washed in a washing machine. It is surprising how clean they are after a hot water and bleach wash. Maintain a low agitation speed with the delicate cycle. After I have tossed my sweater in the dryer, I will iron it on low for a few minutes to remove wrinkles. Cleaning the garage and bath curtains is not a problem.

DarkMonohue
DarkMonohue Reader
8/1/21 10:54 a.m.

An old shower curtain also makes an excellent cover for a canoe.

DylanWelch
DylanWelch New Reader
8/5/21 8:08 a.m.

I agree with you. :)

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3uyvNz2InXDvidIuImQbbTdfcjVicTfaJMRvCBJgRC98w3l9KoWMDJlvKLZN7FJo