nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan Dork
12/2/17 1:36 p.m.

Looking for something small and cordless.  Doesn't actually have to be a Dremel product.  Looking to stay under a hundo but will pony up to $200 if it's a you won't regret ever buying it product.

Needs to be cordless as I am an apartment dweller and the item will be cleaned in situ.  The small job I reckon I have to do is the flange on the downpipe for one of my cars.  Clean it up and maybe reuse the bolts at least for now.  Sorry for the lack of info.  First time job for me.

But.  Any sage advice on Dremel style tools would make for a great topic.  Just not about dogs toe nails as that appears to be a lot of the Amazon 5 star reviews. smiley

rustyvw
rustyvw Dork
12/2/17 2:18 p.m.

If it's for one job, I would just get a cheap one from Harbour Freight.  That's what I do if I'm not sure about a new tool.  If it turns out that it's useful, then I'll get a better one after the cheap one dies.  

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan Dork
12/2/17 3:00 p.m.

Good idea.  Harbor Freight run next Saturday it is then.  Only day off. smiley

boxedfox
boxedfox New Reader
12/3/17 5:06 a.m.

I've owned a number of Dremel-type rotary tools, and I've found that the actual Dremel-branded ones suck. They have such low duty cycles they all burned out within a year of me using it. I was especially mad when my new Dremel 8050 overheated and fried itself. That sucker was expensive.

The best cordless rotary tool I've worked with was a 12v Milwakee branded one. It felt ridiculously powerful for a rotary tool and the ergonomics of the grip felt great. I think it's this one but I'm not 100% sure.

That said, my go-to rotary tool is a corded Black and Decker from Home Depot. It was $30 when I bought it 5 years ago and it takes a pounding.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
12/6/17 6:56 p.m.

I've beat the hell from my cordless Dremel. The HB one I have (pretty sure it's the same one they've always had) sucks balls. I'm sure the shaft is oval. If you aren't trying use it to port smog era heads, a Dremel will last for ever. 

Apexcarver
Apexcarver PowerDork
12/7/17 10:39 a.m.

Have a cordless dremel.   Recently bought a corded dremel because replacing batteries sucks.   

Pushrod
Pushrod New Reader
12/9/17 2:08 p.m.

For years Dremel offered their 380, great moto-tool (my last one lasted 18 years) with a dial up speed control, stout design, etc. But the company got sold to Bosch and now here we are with a catalog of (for the most part) very marginal Dremel crap. I didn't realize how far we'd slid until I found out my local hobby shop wouldn't even carry Dremel. Proxxon has their own motor tool - #D-54343. Excellent quality and bang for the buck. Do a Google search, they're all over.

pheo
pheo New Reader
12/9/17 8:41 p.m.

I know you want a cordless dremel type tool. But you may consider a flex shaft tool like this:

Foredom Flex Shaft

It has a chuck like a drill so it can take various size bits. Small drill bits are easier to use than with a drill. The torque is way better than a dremel of any type. I have the arm thing it hangs from mounted on my work bench and I have never regretted the purchase.

I have had mine for, 16 -17 years at least. They hold up.

Just a thought.

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan Dork
12/9/17 11:14 p.m.

Some good suggestions.  Added to an Amazon list for later. smiley

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0ldN2wra9DSZm2l89Lzuod3WG2jVv8QtNsBL9IdhHBbdDriwJnOcxXVSY67zrbY0