jh36
jh36 New Reader
3/6/17 7:08 a.m.

I've never had a great system but I now have hope. I have two of these in my shop now. [URL=http://s349.photobucket.com/user/jack127/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2017-03/E8EE3FDA-8DFB-4AF2-8356-4624E593C83F_zps5msemcfd.jpg.html][/URL] One on either side of my bench. Major sections will be metric, standard, nails, screws and car specific bits. I removed the center bolts that held the cards and made sheet metal bottoms so small bits won't get jammed into the runners. [URL=http://s349.photobucket.com/user/jack127/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2017-03/53574851-702A-4903-909E-28C2A690CDBB_zps5lci0yzp.jpg.html][/URL] It was cold enough yesterday that enjoyed this type of work by the fire. Hopefully this marks the end of my random coffee can system.

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
3/6/17 7:39 a.m.

Dude, those are gorgeous. They take up a ton of room but they make your shop 1000% classier. I have a microfiche cabinet for my tools and a large card file for my supplies so something like that would fit right in. ;)

jh36
jh36 New Reader
3/6/17 7:44 a.m.

Hey thanks....these would fit in perfectly with your shop then! They do take up some space but I will be able to get rid of a couple of crappy open metal shelving units so at least some gain. And hopefully I can have enough self control to keep it organized so hunting for the right (bolt/washer/nut/sparkplug/rotor) makes the job faster and more pleasant. I hate hunting for things I know I have. Then buying them again. Then finding the original. Over and over.

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
3/6/17 9:06 a.m.

I love the little pull out shelves, they would work great for sorting tables. Just make sure not to pile them up with stuff permanently! The constant battle in the shop, right?

pkingham
pkingham New Reader
3/6/17 9:28 a.m.

To keep it organized, you might dedicate one drawer to 'to be filed'. When it gets full, or you just want to do something mindless in the shop, you can still be productive and put the individual items in the right drawers.

jh36
jh36 New Reader
3/6/17 10:13 a.m.

In reply to

Yes! And they pull in and out without binding which is nice. I had a small one in my wood shop years ago and they had a tendency to get stuck. They eventually broke....these are way smoother.

jh36
jh36 New Reader
3/6/17 10:14 a.m.

In reply to pkingham:

Genius. Thank you. I will absolutely do that. Drawer A1.

Huckleberry
Huckleberry MegaDork
3/6/17 10:15 a.m.

For posterity you should use the Dewey Decimal System to organize everything.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve MegaDork
3/6/17 10:27 a.m.
Huckleberry wrote: For posterity you should use the Dewey Decimal System to organize everything.

Beat me to it.

jh36
jh36 New Reader
3/6/17 11:20 a.m.

In reply to Huckleberry:

Would be nice to be among the last men standing in that regard.

CWR67
CWR67 New Reader
3/6/17 7:09 p.m.

I would love to find some of those. If I ever do, and for a price I'm willing to pay, I'm pretty sure they would never make it into the shop. My wife would immediately claim them under the "what's mine is mine and what's yours is mine" marital contract.

jh36
jh36 New Reader
3/6/17 9:05 p.m.

In reply to CWR67:

I hear you on that....I have a very accommodating wife when it comes to my car hobby but I Should shift some energy back to the primary abode to keep it that way....after work I got a start on the metric nut and bolt section. I made good use of Christmas gift from my kids....a metric/standard nut and bolt identifier.

[URL=http://s349.photobucket.com/user/jack127/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2017-03/43C0AF95-FF8A-4C73-87A4-11BB580DBDEE_zpshssksvtt.jpg.html][/URL]

759NRNG
759NRNG Reader
5/18/17 11:37 a.m.

Pssst not as classy as the little draw thingy's , but as functional just the same...I present to you the quart size egg drop soup (insert your fave here) container from your local 'golden dragon'. Oh and the smaller spicy guacamole/pico de gallo's work as well too.

jere
jere HalfDork
5/26/17 10:54 a.m.

In reply to 759NRNG:

I will have to look into those are they round or rectangular?

I've been using milk crates with pre made broth boxes/almond milk boxes with the tops cut off. They fit perfectly in the crates and the crates stack well but take up too much space.( And the warning labels about it being a crime to be in possession of them )

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
CbUxXPQDNKPpJAN6ImjsGc0d05fI9I0jbeD5lyMrUP2ZNl4RzxLM7wWGInsybjQB