1 2 3
Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
11/13/14 3:40 p.m.

Anyone else sneak off to the woods for lunch? It was 35F and overcast today but not windy at all so I tossed a leg over the bike and had me a sammich out on the reservoir. I'm going to try to go someplace new every time I can sneak away. I go a little batschit working from home these days.

Nick_Comstock
Nick_Comstock PowerDork
11/13/14 4:28 p.m.

Nice!!!

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
11/13/14 4:59 p.m.

I'm 15 feet from the beer fridge if I'm working from home. State law.forbids me from.operating a motor vehicle in most cases.

octavious
octavious HalfDork
11/13/14 7:15 p.m.

I don't do it but I should start. Although I do work in a regular office, and there are many days when even a 30 minute break would do me good. I'll try and grab some pics if I get the chance.

Cotton
Cotton UltraDork
11/14/14 11:08 a.m.

I rode the k1300s in, but no sneaking off for lunch yet. It was a balmy 28 degrees for the 36 mile ride in. FogX is really pissing me off. I have to apply every morning and its good for like 20 miles, then for the other 16 I'm cracking the visor occasionally, which sucks at this temp and is only going to get worse. In the past I just dealt with it, but I'm tired of freezing my ass off every winter, so would love to be able to keep my shield closed and not be forced to use a face mask when it gets in the teens and below.

octavious
octavious HalfDork
11/14/14 1:04 p.m.

I rode in today too. No lunch pic though. What is this lunch you speak of? My ride in at 25 was pretty chilly on my hands. Everywhere else I was pretty warm. Knock on wood I only had fog issues when I would get to a stoplight and forget to flip the visor up a notch. Other than that it was good.

yamaha
yamaha UltimaDork
11/14/14 2:07 p.m.

My god, all this talk about helmets brings tears to my eyes...

11/14/14 2:39 p.m.

Found a gate open to the top of the mountain for a late lunch today.

11/14/14 3:08 p.m.
FogX is really pissing me off.

Try polishing the inside with Dawn liquid.

11/14/14 8:21 p.m.

In reply to octavious:

Get thy self some brush busters. Getting the wind off your fingers is almost as awesome as heated grips.

jstand
jstand Reader
11/14/14 8:34 p.m.

Have you guys looked to see if there are any double layer or heated shields for your helmets?

I know I was able to get a double shield for my HJC to use when snowmobiling to avoid fogging.

Toyman01
Toyman01 UltimaDork
11/14/14 9:27 p.m.

Stop posting these. I'll be wanting to buy a bike next.

That does look like fun. You need to check out the Mobius Trip thread on advrider. It's inspiring.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7038210

12/6/14 4:12 p.m.

No picture... but Thursday nite I was in S Jersey with the bike to attend my companies' holiday party. Friday I took the slow boat home up RTE 29 along the Delaware river, chilled at Washington's Crossing for lunch (hence lunch trippin' entry) then up and across at Frenchtown NJ, up PA RTE 32 to 611 and thru the Delaware Water Gap. I was having a great time until I got across the Water Gap and it started to drizzle. I looked down at my dash and it said 34F. E36 M3. Better get out of here. Hopped on the highway to blast the last hour home at top speed but as I went across I80 and up to I380 the drizzle turned to light rain and the indicator said 30F. Ice was forming on my windscreen. Got a big wobble trying to slow down and get off to the side without being run over by trucks. Fuuuuuuuuuucccccccccck. I managed to make it over the mountain using salt/sand on the shoulder at barely above walking speeds white-knuckling it all the way. The remaining ride after that it was warm enough to only worry about the bridges but raining harder. Ending the drama here - I lived.

I watched the news last night ... 30 minutes after I rode thru there was a 7 car pile-up on the ice.

Note to self: Check the weather at the highest elevation of your trip before berkeleying off at historical sights until it's almost too late to sneak by

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
12/6/14 5:08 p.m.

In reply to Giant Purple Snorklewacker:

You need to ask Santa for a Nikon AW120 waterproof/shockproof camera for Christmas. I promise you, will shoot a lot more pictures when you aren't worried about getting the camera or phone wet/nasty. I love mine.

I'm pretty sure ice and motorcycles don't mix.

Petrolburner
Petrolburner Reader
12/9/14 12:54 p.m.

Or a Lumix TS4, I love mine.

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
1/4/15 1:21 p.m.

Someone needs to clean the ice off his bike and get out there.

1/4/15 9:43 p.m.

"Someone" thought he was going to get out and ride a few muddy roads in the 52F drizzle we had going on today... but instead of drizzle we got hard rain and then salt trucks in anticipation of tonight's freeze.

It's going to be a high of 21F tomorrow, then teens, then single digits by Thursday. I am hearty stock but no masochist. I'll wait for mid-thirties and sun before I suit up again.

Nick_Comstock
Nick_Comstock PowerDork
1/4/15 11:02 p.m.

Was mid 40's today but wicked windy. I tried to get out on the road to test out the adjustments I made to the suspension but was getting blown all over the place and couldn't get a good assessment on the changes. I stuck to the neighborhood to evaluate the ride over the speed mounds they have every thirty feet. I'm hoping I didn't mess the geometry up enough to get a high speed wobble. Will have to wait for a less windy day.

3/11/15 5:13 p.m.

Time to hit resume on this one...

It was sunny and in the upper 30s / low 40s today. After the weather we have had it felt downright balmy. I wasn't even wearing any layers under my pants or jacket.

There is a little place on Lake Winola that I remembered as having a good lunch type menu so I headed out that way. The roads were mostly good except a cinder (or salt) berm in the middle of each lane that formed by traffic pushing the dirt around as the snow melted. That made moving outside/inside across the middle in the twisties a bit of a gamble. The bike slid around a little on it but nothing worse than a dirt road would. I wasn't exactly laying it over on the pegs though, just whisking along enjoying the sunshine.

The place I was looking for was closed and either for the season or for good... couldn't really tell but the sign was gone. So lunch was just a peanut butter Clif bar and a water from the marina gas station.

I need at least one picture to make this worthwhile so... here is the lake. I thought it would be neat to ride out in the middle for a pic but all the ice fishing huts were missing and there was open water at the inlet across the way. I figured maybe it wasn't such a great idea to take a 500lb bike out there afterall. I'm a week too late I guess. So here is the boat launch with it's Cold Water Kills! sign.

On my way around the rest of the lake, I found a hole-in-the-wall pub called the Blue Pelican that was open. Too late for me to stop and test the burgers... gotta get back to work!

octavious
octavious HalfDork
3/11/15 8:15 p.m.

Is it similar to "The Blue Oyster Bar" from Police Academy?

3/11/15 10:03 p.m.

In reply to octavious:

Not sure. I didn't go in but I could hear YMCA playing on the jukebox

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
3/12/15 6:55 a.m.

Nice trip. Glad to see things a finally melting up there.

3/16/15 6:47 p.m.

Today's pointless exercise in lunch was actually a trip to get a drug screen done to meet the requirements of a work contract. It was low 40s and partly sunny when I set off on my quest to pee in a cup using the least efficient routing possible.

Very nice weather for a ride.

Enroute I swooped through a State Park and spotted people out on the ice...

Some fishing in a little hut and some just standing out there in the sunshine.

On the way back out to the main road I came across a flashback from my childhood. I haven't seen Smokey Bear in a long time!

The hockey goals are gone. I didn't see any "Thin Ice" signs but there were no takers on the rink on a warm monday afternoon. This was only 200 yds from the ice fishing spot but a few miles around to the other side.

After I took care of business it was getting late so... might as well take the long way home, no? I saw a story in the local Sunday paper about ghost towns that reminded me of a place my grandfather and I hunted rabbits when I was too young to hunt rabbits. He told me a story about it being an abandoned town for slaves who took the underground railroad to the area. I rode around and around but couldn't find the dirt road that led to the spot... quite possibly because the last time I was there was something like 37yrs ago... but I think I'm on the right track!

Maybe next time. My google fu wasn't good enough to find any mention of the old town and my grandfather is long gone.

In any case... the sun and the temps were setting so I hit the grocery store on the way home and called it a day.

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
3/16/15 6:56 p.m.

Very cool. Thanks!

3/17/15 8:35 a.m.

You guys know this thread is supposed to be collaborative, right? Somebody post a pic beside me, today, huh?

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
uCtfOSiX0Dp8SRkqvhcv2hURhjUUChoL7WF2rcxZcCV3avOkI4kQPFIv7YJZB7DV