Classic Motorsports Car Catcher: Not-So-British Jaguar

Date Jan 9, 2017

Written by Ed Higginbotham

This one’s a little different. And honestly, we really enjoyed the seller’s (Streetside Classics) first paragraph in the description:

Ok, everyone be cool. This 1964 Jaguar XKE coupe isn’t for purists. It is for the guy who loves the shape but wants to live a little outside the box. It has just 18k believed original miles, a reliable and potent Ford 5.0 power and a few tasteful body modifications.”

It’s being offered for $56,995. So does it peak your interest or make you shake your head?

Get all the latest Classic Motorsports news in your mailbox six times a year. Subscribe now.

Join Free
Join our community to easily find more Jaguar news.

Reader comments:

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
Jan. 9, 2017 1:38 p.m.

I'm not so sure "tasteful" can accurately be applied as an adjective to that hood scoop.

wspohn
wspohn HalfDork
Jan. 12, 2017 4:59 p.m.

In reply to Ed Higginbotham:

"So does it peak your interest or make you shake your head?"

I think the word you were searching for was 'pique'. In fact it doesn't get my interest - just another butchered XKE, so I guess I am shaking my head.

Would have been a heck of a lot more interesting with a modern high tech straight 6 like the 2JZ Toyota and with a 5 or 6 speed manual rather than a slush box. The scoop is a bit of an aesthetic faux pas, too.

pres589
pres589 UberDork
Jan. 12, 2017 5:12 p.m.

That's so sad. Honestly, look at that thing, it's like someone tried to make an E-type of of orange Play-Doh.

Ransom
Ransom PowerDork
Jan. 12, 2017 5:24 p.m.

I had to go look at another picture of an E type to confirm that it was just the scoop ruining everything. And I'm not sure about removing the bumpers.

That scoop really makes the whole car look wrong.

APEowner
APEowner New Reader
Jan. 13, 2017 2:51 p.m.

I'm not digging the hood scope or the auto trans but otherwise, I like it.

D2W
D2W Reader
Jan. 13, 2017 3:51 p.m.

I find it interesting. At one point XKEs were just old cars with poor engines and electronics. Nowadays there are any number of straight six powerplants that would make this more interesting. I like the lightweight no bumper treatment, but the hoodscoop has to go.

TR8owner
TR8owner HalfDork
Jan. 13, 2017 11:08 p.m.

I'm sure the hood scoop is the only way that the air filter would fit under the bonnet. Other than that, I really like it. Can't go wrong with a 'murican V8 in a British car.

slantvaliant
slantvaliant UltraDork
Jan. 17, 2017 10:23 a.m.

Aside from that thing on the hood, I like it. There are air cleaner options now that might make it unnecessary, but restoring the hood might be tough.

Yes, I'd much prefer a big Jag six. At least there isn't another 350 or LS in there. I wonder how many people would fawn over a long stack of rotors in there?

What happened to the turn signals and brake lights? Flush-mounted and painted over?

Adrian_Thompson
Jan. 17, 2017 10:36 a.m.

I have no issue with an old E type running a Ford or Chevy engine assuming it was either done 20+ years ago or was purchased without an engine in poor condition. There's no reason to bastardize a nice car these days.

WRT this car. Way to go on making a beautiful metal car look like a fiberglass kit. First operation would be to de-JC Whitney the bonnet which shouldn't be too hard. Next step is to try and save the rear end. It doesn't need to be stock, but it does need to be almost anything except that. Final step is to fit a more period correct looking shifter even if it is auto. How about a nice thin chrome stick with a wooden or Bakelite knob on top. Overall 10/10 for potentially saving a car that would have been lost, but 3/10 on execution.

You'll need to log in to post.

The Latest

Get a Free Glovebox Companion

5 hours ago in News

Get a free copy of the Classic Motorsports Glovebox Companion.

Volvo's Rearview Mirror

2 days ago in Articles

Looking Forward While Remembering the Past

The Art of Karting

3 days ago in Articles

Perhaps a vintage kart for your next project?

Show Us Your Shop and Win Prizes

3 days ago in News

3-car? 1-car? parking lot? We want to see where you mess with your car. Our favorites win some major prizes.

Crowdbidding

3 days ago in Articles

Are Classic Car Investment Groups Changing the Game of Buying at Auction?

Discounted Ticket Rates End Soon for Hilton Head Island Motoring Festival & Concours d'Elegance

6 days ago in News

The 2017 Motoring Festival is expected to be bigger than ever.

Fighting Fires

1 week ago in Articles

Fire in a race car is a dangerous and undoubtedly terrifying experience.

Mlassic Motorsports Magazine

Also get your instant access to the digital edition of Classic Motorsports Magazine!

Learn More