Classic Motorsports Car Catcher: TR4 Time Capsule

Date Jan 17, 2017

Written by Ed Higginbotham

Love a car with an interesting backstory? This 1962 Triumph TR4 might interest you. Bring a Trailer is auctioning it off this week. As the story goes, the car actively competed through the 1970s and part of the ‘80s but then never saw the track again until last year at the Jefferson 500 at Summit Point Motorsports Park. That event didn’t go according to plan. The car overheated and after piecing an engine back together, the owner is selling. It comes with many spares, including more of those massive fender flares. What do you think it will sell for?

Get all the latest Classic Motorsports news in your mailbox six times a year. Subscribe now.

Join Free
Join our community to easily find more Triumph news.

Reader comments:

LanEvo
LanEvo Reader
Jan. 9, 2017 3:50 p.m.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention...don't know how I missed it!

I've been looking for a TR6 project but I'm going to bid on this.

LanEvo
LanEvo Reader
Jan. 12, 2017 11:32 a.m.

I went ahead and bid.

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy Dork
Jan. 12, 2017 12:59 p.m.
LanEvo wrote: I went ahead and bid.

If you do end up winning it, let me know. I'd be interested in buying a set of those flared fenders for my TR4. (or making a set from the molds). . . Good Luck

LanEvo
LanEvo Reader
Jan. 12, 2017 4:31 p.m.

I'm a little nervous since it doesn't look like the car can run with most organizations without modification. As it stands, it's limited to groups like VARAC G70+ in which it would be totally uncompetitive. Besides, I do already have a vintage racecar built for that class ... so it doesn't really make much sense.

I've got to figure out what I'm going to do (and how high I'm willing to bid).

What I really need is a second street car. It would be more reasonable to find a clean TR6, which was my plan in the first place.

fasted58
fasted58 UltimaDork
Jan. 12, 2017 4:54 p.m.

Those classy looks, bet that'd be a hoot to race. BAT questioned the fiberglass fenders as being eligible. Not being up on historic sanctions and rules is this a big deal? Would hate to have to convert it back to steel fenders, looks awesome as it is.

Not a lot of spares, stock top end (although ported head and race cam included), will this hold the sale price down? Bet you could recoup some money w/ those molds tho.

$3600 current bid w/ under 24 hrs left.

LanEvo
LanEvo Reader
Jan. 12, 2017 6:04 p.m.

It's neither fish nor fowl at the moment.

Too modified to run with the real vintage groups. Not modified enough to be competitive in classes like Group 70+ where it would be up against the likes of the E30 M3, 944/968, and 964. You couldn't get a current SCCA or NASA logbook without totally redoing the cage.

Kind of falls between the cracks.

You'll need to log in to post.

The Latest

Get a Free Glovebox Companion

5 hours ago in News

Get a free copy of the Classic Motorsports Glovebox Companion.

Volvo's Rearview Mirror

2 days ago in Articles

Looking Forward While Remembering the Past

The Art of Karting

3 days ago in Articles

Perhaps a vintage kart for your next project?

Show Us Your Shop and Win Prizes

3 days ago in News

3-car? 1-car? parking lot? We want to see where you mess with your car. Our favorites win some major prizes.

Crowdbidding

3 days ago in Articles

Are Classic Car Investment Groups Changing the Game of Buying at Auction?

Discounted Ticket Rates End Soon for Hilton Head Island Motoring Festival & Concours d'Elegance

6 days ago in News

The 2017 Motoring Festival is expected to be bigger than ever.

Fighting Fires

1 week ago in Articles

Fire in a race car is a dangerous and undoubtedly terrifying experience.

Mlassic Motorsports Magazine

Also get your instant access to the digital edition of Classic Motorsports Magazine!

Learn More