1 2 3
Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
11/5/18 11:34 a.m.

Located in Southern MD

Acquired this spitfire roller for $40, had a kid and decided that I'm never going to be able to find the time to build it and have gone in a different direction with my racing efforts.  Selling for what I have in it and I am even throwing in the pressure washing I did for FREE.  Oh and hey, IT HAS A TRANMISSION, so resell that and you can have $0 tied up in it!. 

No engine, no interior, brakes dont work, is missing a suspension link in the rear (rolls just fine)

NO TITLE

Plan was to graft on Miata subframes, poking tires out past the fenders and power with a motorcycle engine.

I will throw in the following NA1.8 miata parts for an extra $250:  Rear subframe with open diff (minus one driveshaft, one upright and one brake assembly) Two Miata front corners with brakes. (NO springs/shocks for front or rear, had thought about using motorcycle units, also no steering gear, but could put you in touch with someone for a front crossmember and rack)

An extra $50 gets you a racing seat.  Physically a Cobra Monaco, but was sold through the Konig style shop as a V-racing (all parts labeled Cobra, only stitching says V-Racing) Yellow and black. 

Plan was to build to use 13 inch rims and American Racer tires poked well past the fenders and not worry about reverse. 

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
11/5/18 12:14 p.m.

Just the bumpers are worth the asking price.  I wish I was closer and had storage space.     

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
11/5/18 12:42 p.m.

Damnit. I wish I had room for this as well.  

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
11/5/18 12:44 p.m.
spitfirebill said:

Just the bumpers are worth the asking price.  I wish I was closer and had storage space.     

Wish you were too! I need some space back.

I dont think its possible to get a better deal than this!  

Perfect start for a challenge build!

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
11/5/18 12:50 p.m.

Ugh... yeah... it's a crazy-awesome deal.

I think the rear bumper is from a '74, going by the Triumph badge.  

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
11/5/18 12:57 p.m.

I say 75? because I think its a Bitsa.   Bits of a few cars put together. 

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
11/5/18 1:01 p.m.

Oh yeah - after 40+ years, I don't assume any usual year-indicators to be taken as gospel. However, I understand the '74 bumper is among the most desirable - the plate light is in that Triumph bezel, correct?

dherr
dherr HalfDork
11/5/18 3:32 p.m.

Yeah, that looks like my 1972 bumper, so MK4 or perhaps very early 1500? I though they added the center piece to the bumper by 1975, so different lighting. The lights on the very early one are behind the Triumph bezel. That is a screaming deal for a rolling bodyshell!

NermalSnert
NermalSnert Reader
11/5/18 3:40 p.m.

941 miles dived by 15 mpg going up = 62.7 gallons and 941 miles divided by 11 mpg coming back is 85.5 gallons. So, 148.2 gallons of gas at , say, $2.50/gal average is $370.50 plus a tow dolly. I'm real tempted. That would make a fun minimalist sports car!

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UltraDork
11/5/18 3:42 p.m.

In reply to NermalSnert :

Just do it already!!!!

NermalSnert
NermalSnert Reader
11/5/18 3:46 p.m.

Ha Ha! SWMBO would kill me. Too many irons in the fire now.

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
11/5/18 3:58 p.m.

Mr Mustangboy, when does it need gone?  I’m not coming your way anytime soon

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
11/5/18 4:27 p.m.
Patrick said:

Mr Mustangboy, when does it need gone?  I’m not coming your way anytime soon

Sooner is better. But I may be able to hold it a bit for a friend, especially if someone makes the plan I had for it a reality. That said, if it's in my garage come spring, it's scrap. I really want someone to make something of it besides a fridge.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
11/5/18 4:29 p.m.
NermalSnert said:

941 miles dived by 15 mpg going up = 62.7 gallons and 941 miles divided by 11 mpg coming back is 85.5 gallons. So, 148.2 gallons of gas at , say, $2.50/gal average is $370.50 plus a tow dolly. I'm real tempted. That would make a fun minimalist sports car!

I would advise getting the missing suspension link and new tires at a minimum for a tow dolly... or trailer it.

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
11/5/18 4:41 p.m.

I’ll sleep on if this is a great or stupid idea and let you know tomorrow, don’t hold anything on my account.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
11/5/18 5:09 p.m.

Part of the brilliance of my initial plan.  It's body on frame...

Oh yeah, windshield is cracked.

Biggest challenge with bec is gearing. I have a spreadsheet I worked on and happy to share data complete with thrust calculations. Theoretically, it will weigh about 1400LBS

glueguy
glueguy Dork
11/5/18 5:21 p.m.
Patrick said:

I’ll sleep on if this is a great or stupid idea and let you know tomorrow, don’t hold anything on my account.

It’s a great idea. Trust us. 

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 SuperDork
11/6/18 7:45 a.m.

I'd possibly be interested in the racing seat. Got any pictures?

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
11/6/18 9:30 a.m.

Will try to get some tonight. Friday at latest.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
11/6/18 1:35 p.m.

So, if the motospit were built with a 2007ish Yahama R1...

Stock Miata 4.1 diff and American Racer 20.0/8.0-13S tires (20.4 inch dia).     1st gear goes to 53mph, 2nd to 65mph.  (rev limited top speed: 106)

Get a 1.6 diff (4.3) and its 1st gear to 50.6mph, 2nd to 62.2mph   (rev limited top speed: 101mph)

There are options of 3.9 and 3.6 rears for miatas which bolt in too, depending on how fast you want to go.

Thrust calculations show acceleration better than a lotus elise..

Robbie
Robbie UltimaDork
11/6/18 2:17 p.m.

how is this still available?!?!

Someone drop this on my driveway and I'll hand you $500. The 11hr 700 mile drive one way is not something I can swing anytime soon unfortunately. Not to mention I should be focusing on my current bike engine car project...

Robbie
Robbie UltimaDork
11/6/18 2:20 p.m.

why not just use the existing diff? Should be about the right ratio...

http://www.triumphspitfire.com/diff.html

Or just drop in a miata takeout.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
11/6/18 3:08 p.m.
Robbie said:

why not just use the existing diff? Should be about the right ratio...

http://www.triumphspitfire.com/diff.html

Or just drop in a miata takeout.

Because swing axles, idea was to graft complete subframes and gain miata suspension goodness in a package that's 1000lbs lighter with the graft made easier through the body on frame design of the spit.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
11/6/18 3:14 p.m.

BTW, have driven an Exocet with 15inch American racer tires. They grip almost as well as Hoosiers, but (for the 15s mind you) were reportedly $600 a set. Don't know price for the 13s, but they might be even cheaper.

accordionfolder
accordionfolder Dork
11/6/18 3:39 p.m.

How much does it weigh currently (ballpark)? Would it roll happily on the rear wheels? I might be able to convince the wife a road trip in the speed3 (or CX-5 for that matter) with a tow dolly would be a good idea - not that I need another, another project ;) 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/HGfiUMZFZSxvt9BM7

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
K0JCZYYN9T9MFAMPAiEfQ0i1Bhf7O80Y4CwoQIQUsOMARwLWEUORXbiGWQUVK0QM