1 2 3 4
Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
11/6/18 3:54 p.m.

As stated above, a missing suspension link in the rear prevents down the road rolling. Also I would seriously suggest new tires. 

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
11/6/18 3:57 p.m.

As far as weight... I don't have scales. Not a lot, probably about 1k lbs? I know running vintage racers weigh 1400 with stock drive train.

dherr
dherr HalfDork
11/6/18 4:04 p.m.

First of all, I second the question, why someone has not yet picked this up? But having put an RX7 Turbo II rear sub frame in a Spitfire, and having seen people try it with the Miata, it is not that simple. both are way too wide, and yes, you can have the tires sticking out, but  you still have to deal with the front. Couple of thoughts here having just done something similar.....

1. Stock rear will be too weak, even for a bike motor, Spitfire stock had 50ish HP and 60ish pounds of torque..... and they still break all the time, so no good for an engine swap.

2. Rear suspension is not ideal, specially if you are increasing the power, axles, hubs all light duty stuff.

3. Swapping to a better differential (R160 Subaru is often used), CV axles and GT6 Rotoflex parts, is ideal, but you are not likely to do this on a challenge budget unless you have your own machine shop and can source all the rare bits. I spend around $2,000 to do mine, turned out great, but not cheap even with used parts.

4. The body on frame part is why I love these cars. You do have the ability to build the rolling chassis and then mount the body with modifications as necessary. Since this is likely a challenge car, you could cut out the entire back of the trunk/floor area and weld in what you need to fit an alternative rear suspension and differential. Cheap solution is a solid axle cut down to fit the width and a custom rear suspension design. Harder solution is to use a subframe from something else. Miata is 57" wide, Spitfire is something like 50". BMW 2002 rear looks to be 52" or something similar, perhaps an old 70's Datsun 510 (good luck finding one) as it is supposed to be 50"

Performance calculations sound correct, mine should weigh in around 1,750 pounds, with 220 HP, I am still tuning it but am quite confident that it would kill an Elise in a straight line.

dherr
dherr HalfDork
11/6/18 4:12 p.m.

In reply to Apexcarver :

Let me know what is missing, as I should have it in my garage, free to the person that picks up the car!

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
11/6/18 4:17 p.m.

Idea was miata front subframe too. Sawzall the fenders and keep it low with tires sticking way out there. Moto engine likely affords some packaging simplicity. For added fun, convert to rhd and pit the engine in place of passenger footwell. Would balance well with driver offsetting engine that way.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
11/6/18 4:18 p.m.
dherr said:

In reply to Apexcarver :

Let me know what is missing, as I should have it in my garage, free to the person that picks up the car!

Will try to get a pic of the rear suspension soon.  Just found out my 4 month old is sick, so bear with time wise.

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
11/6/18 5:29 p.m.

I have convinced myself that this is a horrible idea given my current project load

accordionfolder
accordionfolder Dork
11/6/18 5:45 p.m.
Apexcarver said:

As stated above, a missing suspension link in the rear prevents down the road rolling. Also I would seriously suggest new tires. 

You said "is missing a suspension link in the rear (rolls just fine)" is why I asked! Tires were the next question :) Oof on the four month old, you are giving surprisingly lucid responses for someone with a baby! I'll wait in the wings for now, but this may vecomb too tempting...

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
11/6/18 6:29 p.m.
Patrick said:

I have convinced myself that this is a horrible idea given my current project load

Totally understand.  Wish you could, I know you would have been able to do it justice. 

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
11/6/18 6:33 p.m.

In reply to accordionfolder :

Meant roll as in an on and off a trailer sense. 

All I can say is my wife deserves to be sainted. If you saw my shop you would understand

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
11/6/18 7:02 p.m.

Missing rear suspension part is passenger side toe link and body bracket for it.

dherr
dherr HalfDork
11/6/18 8:44 p.m.

Yup, radius arm and bracket. I have that, I am downtown tomorrow, but home on Thursday, will pull it and we can figure out how to get it to you. With that installed, the car can be towed with a dolly, that is how I got mine home, which also had the engine  removed. 

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
11/6/18 9:03 p.m.

A couple of longer bolts through the hood hinges with appropriate extra nuts/washers and a tow bar lets it flat tow nicely. Then of course you only know about the old tires self destructing while you drive down the highway when they launch the pieces high into the sky because its so narrow you can't see it in your side mirrors. surprise

Claff
Claff Reader
11/6/18 9:33 p.m.

I probably don't want to know the answer to this question but feel compelled to ask

How hard is it to get a title for an old car with no title?

dherr
dherr HalfDork
11/6/18 10:44 p.m.

Since you are in MD, technically you cannot purchase a car that is not titled. But you can purchase parts, and for the price and what is missing, this is a parts car. Go find another parts car with a title (or a rolling chassis with a title) and combine the two and you are good to go. You can find Spitfires that are rusted to death cheap, but have titles, so not a problem. Not too many Triumphs have numbers matching engines, transmissions, differentials, etc.... and many have had the bodies swapped due to rust, so "original" is pretty rare at this point.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
11/7/18 4:10 a.m.

Dave, does downtown mean DC? And do you end up near the navy yard at all?

Be fun to meet up for lunch. Last I heard your old e30 went up north and is a few owners on from me and is black now, but it served me well in college.

dherr
dherr HalfDork
11/7/18 5:47 a.m.

Arlington, down there one a week, typically on Wednesday.

Great to see that the e30 has continued to have a few "lives" left in it, fun cars!

I'll get the parts on Thursday and we can see how best to get them to you.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
11/7/18 5:56 a.m.

If you are up near Frederick, you could give them to a friend of mine at the autocross at Harry Grove on Saturday?

dherr
dherr HalfDork
11/7/18 11:26 a.m.

Yup, that is right in my backyard, been meaning to stop by some Saturday anyway but avoiding it as I need to get my Spitfire done :-)

I can drop it off early on Saturday morning, PM me your friend's info and I'll get the parts pulled and over to him.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
11/7/18 3:11 p.m.

No PM needed, give it to the Club President, Ed.   He will be there. Ask any organizer.  

He also has a fairly awesome fuel injected TR6 that you have seen some build information on here for.

Robbie
Robbie UltimaDork
11/7/18 4:00 p.m.
Apexcarver said:

As far as weight... I don't have scales. Not a lot, probably about 1k lbs? I know running vintage racers weigh 1400 with stock drive train.

I have scales. I guess someone will have to bring it here after all. ;)

dherr
dherr HalfDork
11/7/18 5:46 p.m.

Perfect, can't wait to see the TR6 and meet everyone. Been meaning to do so, now I have an excuse :-)

I'll pull the parts tomorrow and send you a picture, but 99.999% sure we are talking about the same thing. 

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
11/9/18 6:10 a.m.

Talked to Ed and its all good, however the TR6 wont be making it. His truck blew a brake line and is in the shop, so he cant tow it up. 

dherr
dherr HalfDork
11/9/18 6:52 a.m.

In reply to Apexcarver :

Bummer, was looking forward to seeing it. Parts are ready to go, will stop by in the morning on Saturday

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
11/9/18 11:34 a.m.

So, parts being acquired to make it a tow dolly worthy roller.  

So all that said. THIS IS STILL AVAILABLE.

I really could use the space for another project, things are getting cramped in my shop! 

Alan, There is a possible way to get a title, but I cant promise anything (and at this price, you can understand if I wont be putting much work into it).  If you want to come take a look this weekend...  

For someone coming some distance, while time is challenging for me (hey, I have a 4 month old kid), i CAN put this on my 4 post lift for more detailed pictures. (I really only want to do this for someone very serious though, admittedly, the car is acting as a very full table right now).

If you have something neat (and of substantially smaller size, I dont want a car for a car here! and I need another project like I need a hole in the head) I will consider/entertain trades for any/all parts. This could make your GRM challenge budget EVEN CHEAPER. 

Dont make me beg! come and take this away!

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DS5WoCgNVbmZEldGrjFJkiwxDURG5nXRiHQaiSwQjB12a7MkXPebA1aVAvIOYIhN