1 2
dlmater
dlmater New Reader
12/27/08 2:51 p.m.

In reply to Daddy_Rocket:

Glad it has moved to a good home.

Thanks again for helping me push my new project ('78 Vette) into the garage while you were here.

Black Stig
Black Stig Reader
12/27/08 3:50 p.m.

darn, LOL! Congrats dude! good buy!

Carson
Carson HalfDork
12/27/08 5:14 p.m.

In reply to dlmater:

Are you going to put a BMW 6 in that 'vette?

dlmater
dlmater New Reader
12/27/08 5:33 p.m.
Carson wrote: In reply to dlmater: Are you going to put a BMW 6 in that 'vette?

That would be the thing to do to restore the natural Yin-Yang balance of the universe. But nothing refined and/or civilized as a BMW motor will be used. My goal is brute-force trauma...500hp big block.

Daddy_Rocket
Daddy_Rocket New Reader
12/28/08 10:09 a.m.
dlmater wrote: In reply to Daddy_Rocket: Glad it has moved to a good home. Thanks again for helping me push my new project ('78 Vette) into the garage while you were here.

No problem! Next time, bring out the muscle earlier.

Daddy_Rocket
Daddy_Rocket New Reader
12/28/08 10:10 a.m.
dlmater wrote: That would be the thing to do to restore the natural Yin-Yang balance of the universe. But nothing refined and/or civilized as a BMW motor will be used. My goal is brute-force trauma...500hp big block.

The world thanks you! When it starts to slow down and global cooling begins, you will be called upon to restart the Earth's rotation.

Delmer
Delmer
7/17/10 7:20 p.m.

Dimater or Black Stig.. I'm looking into doing this swap to my 85 eta. I wonder if you have some quick tips on the mounts used, or the oil pan selected. Any info regarding the most difficult aspects of the swap would be appreciated.

Some background- I was in the middle of an M50 swap and my S10 Blazer 4.3 lost it's transmission so I have a donor all ready.. was going to give the truck to the scrap man after I scavenged a few things but the engine wasn't one of them until I did this search and found this car.

It wouldn't be for sale would it?? :) :)

Thanks guys.

-Dave

gr8acclaim
gr8acclaim
2/15/11 9:08 p.m.

I signed up here so I could ask about this myself. Anyway, I'd be interested in hearing more about motor mounts too.

dlmater
dlmater New Reader
2/16/11 8:32 a.m.

The motor mounts were garage made. I used the top plate from the stock 4.3l motor mounts and fabricated a steel plate to bolt to the stock BMW frame mounting points. Positioned the motor where I wanted while hanging on a crane, then measured, cut, and welded steel tubing to "connect" the upper and lower mounting plates.

The oil pan was the stock 4.3l, rear sump truck pan. The rear of the BMW front crossmember had to be notched to allow sufficient clearance. If budget had not been an issue, I would have converted the distributor ignition to crank trigger to allow moving the engine back another two inches or so.

Tbroadbent97
Tbroadbent97
5/4/21 9:33 a.m.

In reply to dlmater :

Hello! I'm starting on a 87 e30 project just wondering if you around to answer some question 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xPQxQ00mhFkYK5OuPa5kkqPJaDEWjddGbhbRj2uWbJE1Vpe2psABw8Ww4j2hfTAz