Jerry
Jerry Dork
1/27/14 5:41 p.m.

Seems like someone needs some AW11 in their life, Chump car?

CL ad Cincinnati

"1985 Toyota MR2 was originally purchased as a project car. The engine that is in the car has a knocking rod, included is a used engine with 70K miles. Unfortunately the car is not drivable as the fuel pump gave out and I didn't have the proper tools to replace it. The 5-speed manual transmission and clutch have 15K miles on them. The interior is in excellent condition. I have just about every possible part needed to complete the car rebuild."

$500

Jerry
Jerry Dork
1/28/14 8:16 a.m.

(Workday morning bump)

ultraclyde
ultraclyde SuperDork
1/28/14 8:22 a.m.

wow. Lotsa potential. How do you buy a project car and not have the tools to change a fuel pump, or be willing to buy the tools? Is there some unicorn MR2-fuel-pump-tool of which I am unaware?

Jerry
Jerry Dork
1/28/14 3:37 p.m.

He was going to swap an engine, but couldn't do the fuel pump? I'm no mechanic but that sounds infinitely simpler to do.

Ashyukun
Ashyukun HalfDork
1/30/14 1:22 p.m.

IIRC on the Fiero, you had to drop the fuel tank to get to the pump so it's possible that's the case here too, but that still should be easier than an engine swap.

So, for those who know these cars better- does the rust/damage on the driver's side back look outrageous to fix? I'd love one of these to play with in general and as a potential Challenge car, and this is close enough and cheap enough it might be worth the effort to drag it back home and store it for a little while if it isn't too terribly rusted out.

Cotton
Cotton SuperDork
1/30/14 1:54 p.m.
ultraclyde wrote: wow. Lotsa potential. How do you buy a project car and not have the tools to change a fuel pump, or be willing to buy the tools? Is there some unicorn MR2-fuel-pump-tool of which I am unaware?

I got a free BMW from a guy with a similar story. He bought a 633i project and started buying cosmetics like new roundels, but the car was rusty as hell and didn't run right. He pretty much gave up after buying the new roundels and that's where I came in. I got it running and driving and traded it for a semi restored Husqvarna 390.

stan
stan UltraDork
1/31/14 6:59 a.m.
Ashyukun wrote: IIRC on the Fiero, you had to drop the fuel tank to get to the pump so it's possible that's the case here too, but that still should be easier than an engine swap. So, for those who know these cars better- does the rust/damage on the driver's side back look outrageous to fix? I'd love one of these to play with in general and as a potential Challenge car, and this is close enough and cheap enough it might be worth the effort to drag it back home and store it for a little while if it isn't too terribly rusted out.

That rust is pretty typical for these cars, especially in Ohio. The other side doesn't look as rusty though, so you might have a decent candidate for a Challenge car. Suspensions are usually pretty safe from rust. Lots of useful parts to go with the car too.

I might be able to have a friend go and have a look-see if you're really interested. Just let me know.

Stan

Jerry
Jerry Dork
1/31/14 7:14 a.m.

I was going to offer the same opinion on the rust, but left it to someone that might have more to say as far as suspension/chassis integrity at that location. That's definitely the most popular area to rust, I got lucky finding one that had been brought back from FL recently.

(It looks like it's close to where I work, might be able to help in the evening sometime)

Ashyukun
Ashyukun HalfDork
1/31/14 8:43 a.m.

Thanks guys. I'm probably going to try and get in touch with the owner and ask a few questions and see how malleable he is on the price. If the weather looks like it's not going to be too horrible tomorrow, SWMBO is hoping we can go up to Cinci to meet up with an old friend of hers to go to IKEA and lunch, so if we go I'll try and work out making a detour to look at the car and talk with the owner. I'll have to work out getting it back down to Lexington though, but I think that shouldn't be entirely too difficult.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve MegaDork
1/31/14 10:06 a.m.

Having bought a 1985 PA MR2 with similar rusty appearance, I can tell you that about 93% of the car is rusted beyond hope. You need a shell from AZ as the start for any MR2 project.

Flynlow
Flynlow Reader
1/31/14 2:29 p.m.

In reply to Ashyukun:

Source for patch panels for the rusty quarters:

http://twosrus.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=21_26

If you don't end up using all the spares, specifically the engine that's got a knock, let me know. I could use a rebuildable core for my '85 and would throw some $$ your way.

Ashyukun
Ashyukun HalfDork
1/31/14 2:39 p.m.
Flynlow wrote: In reply to Ashyukun: Source for patch panels for the rusty quarters: http://twosrus.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=21_26 If you don't end up using all the spares, specifically the engine that's got a knock, let me know. I could use a rebuildable core for my '85 and would throw some $$ your way.

Cool, thanks! If I get it depending on what route I end up deciding to go I may not use either engine- I'd love the challenge of stuffing a 6-port Renesis into the back of one for the Challenge, though sourcing one for Challenge money may be difficult.

Unfortunately, so far I've not heard anything back from the seller after texting him earlier today. :/

Ashyukun
Ashyukun HalfDork
2/1/14 12:42 a.m.

Still nothing from the seller. I did look up changing the fuel pump, and it does look like it's quite a pain in the ass since it requires dropping the fuel tank and clearing everything under it out of the way. Still would be easier than swapping an engine, of course...

Ashyukun
Ashyukun HalfDork
2/2/14 11:12 p.m.

Never heard anything back and the listing has been deleted. Oh well...

Flynlow
Flynlow Reader
2/3/14 6:39 a.m.

No worries man, they're getting rare, but not yet expensive. I'm sure you'll find another.

Ashyukun
Ashyukun HalfDork
2/3/14 10:03 a.m.

Probably for the best- would be much wiser to wait until I both have the Elky finished and am in a new place with a garage on-site where I can work on a new project. This would have had to sit around for a while- outside- until I could get anything done on it, but with the spare engine sounded like it would have been a great starting point for a Challenge car.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
iU1tVHClJO2wtafFAIfwavbgOkwFnMmWcP1xtwXNrNBWOD7Wbr1cY9TJO5QuDX5H