stanger_missle
stanger_missle Reader
6/22/13 7:51 a.m.

NMNA but I've always had a fascination with these little cars. Needs transmission but seems pretty clean.

1988 Mazda 323 GTX

Donebrokeit
Donebrokeit HalfDork
6/22/13 8:24 a.m.

That is a WHOLE lot of fun sitting there

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 SuperDork
6/22/13 10:22 a.m.

Isn't the transmission made of unobtanium though?

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
6/22/13 2:13 p.m.

Yep. And it's made of glass.

That looks more like a $500 car.

Donebrokeit
Donebrokeit HalfDork
6/22/13 3:14 p.m.

Most parts are gone, if you buy one you better have a good machine shop on call.

stanger_missle
stanger_missle Reader
6/22/13 3:30 p.m.

I figured as much

No wonder why nobody sees these anymore

crazycanadian
crazycanadian Reader
6/25/13 9:18 a.m.

Most of the parts aren't that bad to find... You can still buy rebuild kits for the transmissions... 2wd drive gear sets 1 - 5 all interchange, but the counter shaft its self is different.. So is the center diff/transfer case...

Lots of stuff from the miata interchanges over for the motor.. You can still get parts if you switch to some of the JDM stuff, but it can get costly..

I miss my old GTX.. :(

11s42k
11s42k New Reader
6/25/13 9:06 p.m.

I have a complete tranny and transfer case for this car if somebody wants to bring it back to life. I've had 3 of these and worked on a few others. They are really fun, especially on ice or gravel. Up here they rust to death. Email me if interested: lawsoe "at" q "dot" com.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
6/25/13 10:44 p.m.

You used to be able to get JDM BPT (1.8) engines and transmissions on eBay without much trouble. Stronger trans, bigger turbo, bigger engine. I had an engineless one that I planned to fix up with one, but other things happened.

Fun cars to drive. Just the right size, a surprisingly hefty feel, drives like a rally car. Put a Miata bottom end in it to bump up the compression so the thing isn't so desperately doggy off boost...

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
pNp4EAOmRV3kzVXR5P8mHrDYGPLmCP3htiGdprIWfcdkLzFLkoJ7lne1sfO2HppS