SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy SuperDork
9/25/11 12:12 p.m.

Well, I'm back in school to finish up my degree, and the part time job situation around here is pretty much the worst its ever been. So it's time to start letting go of the toys to pay the bills...I could use a car for the drive to school on cold winter days more than this wonderful bike. So I am willing to give it up for $2011 to GRM members, trust me, it's worth a lot more than that, or I am also willing to trade for a GRM-ish vehicle. I have an A2 VW itch these days, but also love BMWs, Saabs, the usual Japanese suspects (Miata, Z-car, GT-S, etc.)

Photobucket

Due to financial hard times I am considering the sale of my beloved 1989 Honda Hawk GT NT650. Yep, this is the rare and infamous RC31 with the Elf Pro-Arm single sided swingarm, 647cc V-Twin, and aluminum frame. It's like a much more advanced SV650, but from 15 years earlier.

Unmolested Honda Red, the bike looks fantastic other than 1 crack in the tail section where the previous owner had a ladder fall into it. 14,xxx miles on it. Almost new Dunlop Arrowmax GT501 tires; front has about 200 miles, rear has about 1000. Goodridge braided stainless brake lines front and rear; new rear brakes this summer. Only Repsol brake fluid & synthetic oil has ever been used during my ownership. Bike has K&N pod filters and a Vance & Hines collector-back exhaust, and has been professionally re-jetted to take advantage of these. It is a VERY quick bike. I put a set of clip-ons on it, but I will include the stock bars if you find the clip-ons uncomfortable (and I will happily install them for a serious buyer with cash in hand). The only problems I can think of with the entire bike is that it will likely need a new chain next season; I adjusted it last week with the factory gauge and adjuster (complete factory tool kit & manual included) and it is just about at the "replace" mark. The previous owner also broke the kickstand, so it currently only has a center stand (never mattered to me). It still runs and rides excellent, though. Clear title as well.

I am asking $2011 FIRM TO GRM PEOPLE ONLY I ride it every day that I can, so expect the miles to keep going up. Feel free to e-mail, or call me at 414.699.9487 for a quicker response.

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Woody
Woody SuperDork
9/25/11 12:17 p.m.

My street bike days are behind me but that's a smokin' bargain.

Racer1ab
Racer1ab Reader
9/25/11 2:36 p.m.

Any chance you'd be interested in trading for a 1997 Lexus ES300 with 206k miles?

SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy SuperDork
9/25/11 2:47 p.m.
Racer1ab wrote: Any chance you'd be interested in trading for a 1997 Lexus ES300 with 206k miles?

Thanks for the offer but that's not what I'm looking for.

I should also add that the bike is on eBay with a $2500 buy-it-now and a starting bid of $1750. If I don't get a good offer or a trade I like by 1 week from today, it will go to the highest bidder. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250899364919

redrabbit
redrabbit Reader
9/25/11 4:39 p.m.

If you are looking for a bike that can do it all, here's your chance ! I had one for 4 years. I loved mine. I needed downpayment for car, so it had to go. Mine was red too.

HappyAndy
HappyAndy HalfDork
9/25/11 6:19 p.m.

I owned one of these for years, it was fully awesome! The top speed was slow by the standards of 4 cyl sports bikes of the period, but how fast do you really want to go on a naked bike? On twisty rural roads it could hold its own against almost any bike, even with my lard a$$ in the saddle. Hawk GTs definitely punch above their weight, so I guess its not out off order to call them the miata of the sport bike world. SV 650s are probably faster, but will never be as cool. Oh and they are wheelie machines too, if you're into that sort of thing. Not only that, but they are forgiving enough for novice riders in stock form.

So if any GRMers even think that they want a NT650/HAWK GT/RC 31 they are definitely worth it!

I am not a commissioned salesman and have no affiliation to this seller.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
9/26/11 9:26 a.m.

Why are you selling the one bike that i have a true lust for, at a time where i don't have the time, space, or money to deal with it?

Awesome bike!

alex
alex SuperDork
9/26/11 9:38 a.m.

I kinda miss the days when my Hawk was stock. Now it has a GSXR600 front end, CBR tank, Monster seat, underbody exhaust, and should be getting a Hord motor this winter. I love it to death, but it says something that the stockers are still appealing.

Good luck with the sale. Good price, nice looking bike.

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Web Manager
9/26/11 10:42 a.m.

Ummm....Dang. I want this very badly. As always, it's a matter of timing.

PHeller
PHeller Dork
9/26/11 2:31 p.m.

Ditto. Though I'm sure selling my XS650 could get me at least half-way there...

and I've got friends in Milwaukee!

SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy SuperDork
10/2/11 1:02 p.m.

Wow. Bike sold for $1750 on eBay. Hawks must really be worthless these days.

HappyAndy
HappyAndy HalfDork
10/2/11 1:46 p.m.
SlickDizzy wrote: Wow. Bike sold for $1750 on eBay. Hawks must really be worthless these days.

Wrong time of year maybe?

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
10/2/11 3:21 p.m.

Oh that makes me mad.

alex
alex SuperDork
10/2/11 6:44 p.m.

Yeah, that's gotta be an anomaly.

Or, I just found my next few project bikes.

rotard
rotard Reader
10/2/11 7:40 p.m.

Dang, I have the money, but you're too far away. These are excellent little bikes.

nocones
nocones HalfDork
10/2/11 8:31 p.m.

Don't feel to bad I'm going to end up giving away the zrx1200 for a similar amount for a bike ~3x as powerful and 12 years newer... Crazy market right now.

alex
alex SuperDork
10/3/11 9:20 a.m.

Gah. I guess I'd better hang on to my TL streetfighter until springtime in that case.

SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy SuperDork
10/3/11 9:27 a.m.
alex wrote: Gah. I guess I'd better hang on to my TL streetfighter until springtime in that case.

Yeah, don't make my mistake. I should have just flipped this thing when I bought it in July. I'm close to breaking even, at least (paid $1400 for it and did about $450 in work). Alas, it is too cramped for a 6'2" guy like me, even with the clip-ons, and the vicious Milwaukee traffic has led me to take a temporary break from riding.

The winner on eBay has yet to put down the $500 deposit I require within 24 hours, so if that doesn't happen by noon, this thing will be back on the market.

dculberson
dculberson HalfDork
10/3/11 2:56 p.m.

Fall/Winter is a bad time to sell motorcycles.. unfortunately I have one or two that might be hitting the market soon. Might have to wait for the right price, though. :(

SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy SuperDork
10/3/11 6:41 p.m.

Still for sale. Buyer backed out. $2011 obo. :(

mw
mw HalfDork
12/28/11 9:20 a.m.

In reply to SlickDizzy:

I sent you a message. If you didn't get it send me an email. Michaelbrucewolfatgmaildotcom

SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy SuperDork
12/28/11 11:17 a.m.

Bike is loooooooooooooooooooooooooong gone. Sorry, forgot to update thread.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
eJEwlydMUy5eryFGmJ6jyp7MIk7hkDaCw2Pe45cYlDcTPdS3t5naLwOmXjqTgnrR