Nashco
Nashco SuperDork
8/8/10 1:58 p.m.

I'm selling my Olds Achieva SCX. GRM folks get the friends and family discount, check out my craigslist ad and contact me if you're interested:

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/cto/1886917050.html

Bryce

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
8/8/10 2:03 p.m.

didnt GRM do a writeup on one or have a project SCX in ...like...the second issue or something?

Nashco
Nashco SuperDork
8/8/10 2:31 p.m.

Yeah, GRM had one of them way back in the day, before the ACR Neon existed. Their car might have even been one of the uber-rare C41 cars with the Torsen, IIRC.

Bryce

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 HalfDork
8/8/10 2:31 p.m.

Wow a manual Oldsmobile!!! Can't be many of those from that era.

Platinum90
Platinum90 SuperDork
8/8/10 3:43 p.m.

wow, that thing is mighty beautiful. If it weren't on the other side of the country from me, I would be flipping couch cushions to try to find the funds.

MA$$hole
MA$$hole New Reader
8/8/10 8:20 p.m.

These are fun little cars, my friend had a black one in high school. Very hard to find now. If I had the cash I would jump on this.

Good luck with the sale.

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo Reader
8/8/10 9:24 p.m.

What a shame that a car like that only pulls $2000. If I had a nice climate controlled pole barn, that car would be in it!

hrdlydangerous
hrdlydangerous Reader
8/9/10 8:50 a.m.

Reading this post makes me even sadder to have seen this in a junk yard last fall.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 HalfDork
8/9/10 9:19 a.m.

Is that a factory moonroof,or aftermarket? Is it powered,or just a tilt up rear? How does the engien sound when revved to that 7000 rpm redline? Does it sound like it going to come apart,or is it singing?

Chris

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
8/9/10 9:33 a.m.
Mazdax605 wrote: Is that a factory moonroof,or aftermarket? Is it powered,or just a tilt up rear? How does the engien sound when revved to that 7000 rpm redline? Does it sound like it going to come apart,or is it singing? Chris

It's a Quad4. It probably doesn't sound REAL great, but it WILL get up there.

pete240z
pete240z Dork
8/9/10 9:35 a.m.

nice car - i like it - but it is too "high".

This should help....... Tire Rack Eibach Springs

pete240z
pete240z Dork
8/9/10 9:44 a.m.

The Tire Rack even has Brembo Brakes for $11.00 for this car.......well, okay Brembo brake pads.......

Brembo Brakes

Nashco
Nashco SuperDork
8/9/10 10:31 a.m.
93gsxturbo wrote: What a shame that a car like that only pulls $2000. If I had a nice climate controlled pole barn, that car would be in it!

Feel free to offer more than $2000 if you think it's worth more.

hrdlydangerous wrote: Reading this post makes me even sadder to have seen this in a junk yard last fall.

If it makes you feel any better, that one might have been a fake based on the stickers. If you look at the pictures of my car, you'll see where the SCX and W41 stickers are supposed to be when original.

Mazdax605 wrote: Is that a factory moonroof,or aftermarket? Is it powered,or just a tilt up rear? How does the engien sound when revved to that 7000 rpm redline? Does it sound like it going to come apart,or is it singing?

Aftermarket roof, just a tilt up. It's one of the very few things on this car that isn't factory original. The engine sounds pretty good, although I'm sure it would sound (and be) better with a new 2.5" exhaust and an aftermarket cold air intake of some sort if you really wanted to change things up. Don't get me wrong, the exhaust isn't rusted out anywhere and the intake is in fine working condition, but being all stock stuff you know it's not "helping" the sound. This thing is a whole new animal at high RPMs...when those cams get to work at 5k+ rpm it completely transforms the car. I used to race a rustbucket SCX with a 2.5" exhaust that only had a resonator on it and a big filter right on the throttle body...that thing was a blast to drive and really sounded good when you pushed it.

pete240z wrote: nice car - i like it - but it is too "high".

I agree, it's tall and tempting to lower it...but I can't bring myself to do it to such an unmolested car with such a rare suspension package. I'll leave that to the next owner if they want to do it.

Bryce

Nashco
Nashco SuperDork
8/9/10 10:37 a.m.

Oh yeah, I should mention to you guys that would care that it has the stock '93 exhaust manifold on it, but I have a '92 manifold and flange that could go with the car if you want it. The manifold change is worth 5 hp, bringing it to the '92 specs (190 hp). Of course, if you go to a full 2.5" exhaust with high flow components, you'd expect to get more than just 5 hp.

Bryce

SilverFleet
SilverFleet Reader
8/9/10 12:44 p.m.

These are cool little cars. I remember going to pick up my cousin's regular 2-door 5-speed Achieva at the dealer, and they were trying to sell him one of those. They kept saying that the engine (Quad 4) was used in race cars and they had a little video in the showroom with some open wheeled race cars in it.

Nashco
Nashco SuperDork
8/11/10 12:50 p.m.

I forgot to mention it is EPA rated at 28 miles to the gallon on the highway! Like the ad states, this car is ready for a road trip.

Bryce

pinchvalve
pinchvalve SuperDork
8/11/10 1:17 p.m.

Man, that is a real steal at $2000. A real rare car, and a great DD or track toy to boot. Darn this large country of ours!

slefain
slefain Dork
8/11/10 1:58 p.m.

Friend of mine had one. We swapped the clutch in it, piece of cake. At the drag strip he had a metal rod that he bolted to the cylinder head that ran to the core support. Redneck solid motor mount! It was a beastly little car for what it was. Hope it goes to a good home.

Nashco
Nashco SuperDork
8/16/10 12:25 a.m.

Sold.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
bLbv7vAPYhfbGQxhjayOkT1GGAEDyEK8F0H9DjvAXUm6KtgqbwSgA8vor8Nsm2K2