dculberson
dculberson UltraDork
1/12/14 2:42 p.m.

This is mine. 1996 Volvo 850 Turbo, meaning it is a turbo but that's also the trim level. A little higher featured than the GLT models that had a turbo. $-- SOLD.

Unknown miles (odometer reads 131,872 but hasn't worked for years so it's undoubtedly much higher).

I bought this car from a friend, it was a bit neglected when I got it and I refurbished it to make it a nice daily driver. I've owned it for about 5 years.

The body is in excellent shape for the age and price. There are a couple small dents but no rust at all and no big dents. I spent some time replacing damaged bits like the etched tail lights and damaged/missing trim pieces. The paint is decent except for the roof which has peeling clearcoat. I always intended to paint a Swedish flag up there but never got around to it.

The interior is in nice shape. The driver's seat was torn up when I got it so I replaced the front seats with ones from a '99 that are in good shape. Some lines in the leather but no tears and they're quite presentable. The power driver's seat works great, the passenger side is manual, both seat heaters work great. Back seat is in good shape except where Volvo saw fit to have it hit the center console when it's folded up. There's a depression in the leather there. All power accessories work, the windows, locks, sunroof, mirrors, everything. Working A/C! Heat is good. Climate controls work. Stereo works, and I have the unlock code for when you disconnect power to work on it.

The engine runs well but uses some oil. I believe it's from the turbo seals. Since I've owned the car, I've replaced the PCV system, plugs, wires, turbo boots (used FCP silicone boots), and more that I'm sure I'm forgetting. It could probably use a timing belt, I have no idea how old the one on there is.

The suspension is great; I replaced basically everything in it since buying the car. That is, shock and strut mounts, spring seats, shocks (used Bilstein Touring shocks), control arms, ball joints, bushings, both front axles, front wheel bearings, all four brake rotors and pads, etc. The only thing I didn't get around to doing is the rear thrust bushings, and I have those on hand and they go with the car. The ride is great, a little firm but very controlled from the Bilsteins.

It does have the typical old Volvo rattles. There's just too much hard plastic and it's all been removed and reinstalled too many times. It's not bad but when you're used to Lexus level of rattles it seems comical at times. There were a lot of missing screws when I got it and I've replaced a bunch of them but I'm sure some are still missing.

The car needs tires badly. I've been keeping an eye out for a used set for a while now but just haven't found anything I liked and didn't plan on keeping the car long enough to justify new ones. The front tires are completely bald on the outside edges. One wheel is bent at the rim (holds air though) so you'll want to replace at least that one. Coupled with that you'll want an alignment so you don't wear out your new tires.

To sum up:
-great running and driving car
-reliable and looks good, not embarrassing to be seen in
-needs tires badly
-should do the timing belt
-could probably use a turbo or turbo rebuild

More pictures:

DoctorBlade
DoctorBlade UltraDork
1/12/14 3:23 p.m.

nice!

dculberson
dculberson UltraDork
1/12/14 3:28 p.m.

Thanks! I forgot to add: I have a set of brand new in the box IPD sway bars and mounts for this thing. I bought them when I was doing my initial batch of ordering, and once I had everything else installed found I didn't really need them. The car handles great as it is. If you want the bars they're available for sale. From IPD they're $395 plus shipping, I'll sell mine for $300 plus shipping. Again they're new in the original box with all hardware and paperwork. You do not need to buy the car to buy the sway bars.

DrBoost
DrBoost PowerDork
1/12/14 4:22 p.m.

Dang man. That's nice. Did those ever come with a third row seat?

Sine_Qua_Non
Sine_Qua_Non HalfDork
1/12/14 4:25 p.m.

Don't think I saw it mentioned. Does it have a title?

beans
beans Dork
1/12/14 4:30 p.m.

Boy, do I wish I had a grand sitting around.

logdog
logdog Dork
1/12/14 5:14 p.m.
DrBoost wrote: Dang man. That's nice. Did those ever come with a third row seat?

You've never had a Swedish car. You should but it.

Ian F
Ian F UltimaDork
1/12/14 5:25 p.m.
DrBoost wrote: Dang man. That's nice. Did those ever come with a third row seat?

My ex-g/f's '96 850 Turbo wagon does. However, I can personally attest they are not suitable for adults.

The front seats are the most comfortable seats ever installed in a car. Ever.

I'm almost tempted to send a link to her about it since she got re-ended in hers on Christmas Eve. Unfortunately, she is extremely picky about how cars 'look' vs. how well they run and/or were cared for and the crappy roof paint could be a deal-killer. If you had decided to sell this a couple of months ago before I bought my Caravan, I'd be tempted.

Why are you selling? To be honest, it seems really cheap. It's actually depressing compared to what she paid for hers 2 years ago... (a LOT more...)

dculberson
dculberson UltraDork
1/12/14 7:36 p.m.

It does have a clear title, sorry I didn't mention that.

DrBoost: It doesn't have the third row, but I have seen that in the junkyard pretty often and could get it for you for cheap. But as Ian F says, they are very small and only suitable for young kids. I couldn't even remotely fit in there.

Ian F: I like the car but never really fell in love with it. If it was RWD or stick shift I would probably keep it forever. I've moved on for daily driving to the GS430 which is way faster and way more nicely appointed, but sadly it's not as comfy.

As far as price, they're pretty cheap around here and the bad tires and burning oil will turn off most buyers. Plus once I decide to get rid of a car I am motivated. I think it's a good deal sure but I got it for cheap and so I'm passing that along.. I'm asking for more on the local Craiglist just due to the hassle factor. GRM buyers tend to be low maintenance. :-)

Cooter
Cooter Reader
1/12/14 9:51 p.m.

Very interested. Asked a couple questions on the LeMons board.

patgizz
patgizz UberDork
1/12/14 10:08 p.m.

is this something one could shoot you a deposit for and pay balance upon pickup in a few weeks when i have time, or do you need car gone now?

very interested as well. looks like a perfect backup.

dculberson
dculberson UltraDork
1/13/14 6:48 a.m.

It would be nice for it to be gone sooner rather than later. Tell you what, give it a couple days and if it's not sold I'll gladly do the deposit / wait for you to pick up thing. The trip to Cleveland might be hairy on the tires that are on there, but everyone's comfort level is different. (Rears are good, fronts are completely bald on the outer edges with a bit of cord showing on one tire.)

Ian F
Ian F UltimaDork
1/13/14 10:01 a.m.

I actually removed the 3rd seats in the ex's wagon. They're just thin cushions screwed into the plywood (yes - plywood) cargo floors. Removing them allowed for a bit of a storage area for various in-car gear (jumper-cables, rags, etc.). The seats belts are still there as they're a tad more involved, but fortunately relatively out of the way.

Klayfish
Klayfish SuperDork
1/13/14 10:18 a.m.

I didn't realize you still had the 'ol girl. Brings back fond memories of mine. What's the thought behind selling it? Got something else up your sleeve?

dculberson
dculberson UltraDork
1/13/14 10:25 a.m.

Nothing in particular up my sleeve since the MR2 is still sitting ready for me to work on it. I just realized I barely drive it and the insurance on it is costing me more than the little use I'm getting out of it. Eventually I'm sure I'll pick something else up! I'm thinking RWD wagon, which narrows it down a lot.

westsidetalon
westsidetalon Reader
1/13/14 12:41 p.m.

Very tempting, these cars usually have broken AC, PVC systems, frt suspension and worn out driver seats for sure. The broken speedo is mandatory.. do the headlight wipers still work?

dculberson
dculberson UltraDork
1/13/14 1:00 p.m.

I actually don't know if the headlight wipers work. I think they do, one motor was broken physically when i got it and the wiper arm was missing and the trim piece behind it was broken. I replaced all that with good looking junkyard parts but never checked to see if they work. It never struck me as important, I guess! Out of curiosity now I'll check tonight when I get home.

DrBoost
DrBoost PowerDork
1/13/14 2:25 p.m.
logdog wrote:
You've never had a Swedish car. You should but it.

Yeah, I've had a sweedish car before. I've always liked these. Maybe I should sell the TDI.....

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
1/13/14 4:25 p.m.

Those headlight wipes are activated by washing the windshield.

trigun7469
trigun7469 Reader
1/13/14 6:56 p.m.

what kind of mpgs do you get?

dculberson
dculberson UltraDork
1/14/14 8:52 a.m.

I get around 27mpg on long trips and 19mpg or so in the city. My city commute is short (6-7 miles) so all cars get terrible gas mileage on it. (Even my 4-cyl Accord was cranking out 19mpg when it would do 25 city usually and 33mpg highway..)

This is probably sold. I have two guys coming today to look at it and failing that I believe Cooter will pick it up this weekend. I'll post here if it's not sold.

dculberson
dculberson UltraDork
1/14/14 3:13 p.m.

Cash in hand, car is sold. Guess I should have asked more. ;-)

westsidetalon
westsidetalon Reader
1/14/14 3:40 p.m.

I still have some 17" Volan wheels for this whip if anyone is interested

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
W6IIRBgWbwp9VHfHcz8lc2ZoSXxTBLzLUgjmBxupKwWGUJz7gTknZJeOwfpit7ws