1 2 3
chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi Reader
10/4/11 11:00 a.m.

Is this seriously still available?

CharlieFoxtrot
CharlieFoxtrot New Reader
10/4/11 3:43 p.m.

If so, it seriously won't be, 10 seconds after I get the word...

1slowcrx
1slowcrx HalfDork
10/5/11 12:34 a.m.

^^^ yup because I will have bought it 9 seconds sooner ;-)

CharlieFoxtrot
10/5/11 7:39 p.m.

Mine!

Thanks Josh and GRM! I guess I'm not going to watch the $2011 Challenge.

Josh, make sure you're thirsty Saturday night.

see ya

kevin

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero HalfDork
10/5/11 7:46 p.m.

Awesome score . . . from what Josh says, this will be a heck of a car!!

CharlieFoxtrot
10/5/11 7:52 p.m.

Maybe I'll keep it for myself and give the kid a rusted-out Dart.

With purchase price,trailer rental, fuel, and tranny build, I should have $3K in it.

1slowcrx
1slowcrx HalfDork
10/5/11 9:56 p.m.

Don't build the tranny... swap it!

CharlieFoxtrot
10/5/11 11:35 p.m.

Not gonna happen.

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit SuperDork
10/6/11 9:35 a.m.

In reply to CharlieFoxtrot:

Nice username by the way.

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi Reader
10/6/11 6:20 p.m.

I need the headlight lenses when the trans rebuild takes to long, just kidding. I love my E39

irish44j
irish44j Dork
10/9/11 8:35 p.m.
CharlieFoxtrot wrote: Mine! Thanks Josh and GRM! I guess I'm not going to watch the $2011 Challenge. Josh, make sure you're thirsty Saturday night. see ya kevin

happy you got it Kevin. Sorry I wasn't able to get out Saturday night, it's been a rough week of work, and didn't get your email until you were probably already heading home with the car/trailer. If you have this setup for the challenge, definitely link me to the build thread, I want to see what you are doing with it! Hope everything on the car is as you expected it to be - did my best to accurately portray it's condition without being able to drive it!

(on a side note, I also just picked up a sub-$1k BMW of my own, except I drove mine 70 miles home!)

CharlieFoxtrot
10/10/11 9:37 a.m.

Thanks Josh for the hookup (and thanks everyone for your support)!

The car has been painted, but it was so dirty I know you couldn't tell. Doesn't matter much, for a kid's car, or for the price paid. Everything else was as good or better than described.

Pretty sure the trans has leaked out all its fluid somewhere. I am harboring a tiny hope I can fix the leak, fill it up and put it on the road!

I had a pleasant ~35hr drive, with several of those hours in driving rain. Driving ~80mph in a diesel truck is not good for fuel economy. Neither is pulling a trailer. Interestingly, whether there is a car on the trailer or not doesn't seem to make much difference. I went a bit over budget on the trip...

The car was located in a gorgeous area, though the local roads made me glad I didn't have a dually truck. Couldn't back the trailer up the steep and winding driveway - I was just digging a hole in the road with my rear tires. The car drove well enough to get to the road and on the trailer without incident.

I'll post updates soon!

Thanks again!

kevin PS-- Josh, spill the beans about your new find!

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero HalfDork
10/10/11 2:19 p.m.

Awesome Kevin!! Hope the best for the trans!!

irish44j
irish44j Dork
10/10/11 9:01 p.m.
CharlieFoxtrot wrote: Thanks Josh for the hookup (and thanks everyone for your support)! The car has been painted, but it was so dirty I know you couldn't tell. Doesn't matter much, for a kid's car, or for the price paid. Everything else was as good or better than described. Pretty sure the trans has leaked out all its fluid somewhere. I am harboring a tiny hope I can fix the leak, fill it up and put it on the road! I had a pleasant ~35hr drive, with several of those hours in driving rain. Driving ~80mph in a diesel truck is not good for fuel economy. Neither is pulling a trailer. Interestingly, whether there is a car on the trailer or not doesn't seem to make much difference. I went a bit over budget on the trip... The car was located in a gorgeous area, though the local roads made me glad I didn't have a dually truck. Couldn't back the trailer up the steep and winding driveway - I was just digging a hole in the road with my rear tires. The car drove well enough to get to the road and on the trailer without incident. I'll post updates soon! Thanks again! kevin PS-- Josh, spill the beans about your new find!

yeah, Clifton is really nice range....the most expensive area of Fairfax county, which is a top-5 per capita in the country (no idea how I afford to live here on a civil servant salary!). There are about 100 miles of awesome hilly/twisty roads back there, I've driven them hundreds of times and still get lost on occastion....like a driver's oasis in the middle of a major suburban/metropolitan area for sure. The more you explore, the more you can find some sweet houses.

But the best part about that area and its money is the cars. Clifton isn't "nouveau riche" it's alot of old money, so you see alot of cool/rare older cars driving around there on nice weekends. They have a big classic car show in the small town of Clifton (a mile or two from where you were) ever year....mostly American muscle and hot rots, and old detroit steel, but I entered the GT6 this year just for fun - one of only 3 non-domestics in the show, lol. Clifton is where I aways go to cruise in the GT6 or test out new suspension setups on the WRX!

I actually see alot of duallies hauling horse trailers down those roads, believe it or not. There are quite a few horse farms and/or large personal estates with a few horses back in there!

I noticed the same about diesel trucks when I towed the GT6 to DC for 200 miles (in a borrowed GMC 3500 diesel, pulling a 20' landscaping trailer with the car on it)....didn't even feel the weight!

As to my pickup....I am doing a build thread of sorts http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/mein-e30-mein-sammlungkreuz-baugewinde-my-318i-rallycross-build-thread/40440/page1/

sorry about the paint thing....even clean I probably wouldn't have noticed....my cars (all black) all have lousy paint, so I try to ignore it!

CharlieFoxtrot
10/11/11 2:06 p.m.

Since I didn't really have a place to stow a non-moving car until my friend could get to the trans this weekend, I dropped it off at my local independent BMW shop (Dieter's Autohaus) for a post-PPI. He found no issues with the car except one: the trans cooler has a gusher of a leak. As long as the tranny has fluid, it drives fine.

I'm looking up DIY info on the cooler as we speak. It's independent from the radiator, but Dieter's price on installing a new cooler, servicing the trans, etc, was the same as my friend's guess on the price to build the whole trans. I'm not complaining about the price, a man's gotta make a living. But I don't pay people to do things I can do myself...

Woot!

irish44j
irish44j Dork
10/11/11 4:53 p.m.

nice!

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero HalfDork
10/12/11 2:41 p.m.

AWESOME!! This is looking to be a good . . . Crap, I should've bought it

44Dwarf
44Dwarf Dork
10/13/11 6:42 a.m.

http://www.jegs.com/i/B%26amp%3BM/130/70266/10002/-1

I've used this cooler allot! My 40ft school bus i hauled my drag car in was a stick from the factory but when i got it had no motor or trans but i had a 4 speed Allison auto. But no cooler in the rad so i ran just this cooler for 4 years no problems. When i got in to Dwarf car racing everyone ran oil cooled Suzuki's Again i used this cooler never an issue with heat. It had 1/2 pipe fittings I don't like hose barbs get adapters and run real (not AN lines) hydraulic hoses (JIC) don't build the hoses yourself get a shop to make them or buy from place like surplus center

http://www.surpluscenter.com/hydraulic.asp?catname=hydraulic

Real hydrolic hose will take the heat and presure. Build it yourself stuff is normaly one or the other but rarely both. I hate oiling down the street so buy premade.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair SuperDork
10/13/11 10:57 a.m.
CharlieFoxtrot wrote: I'm looking up DIY info on the cooler as we speak. It's independent from the radiator, but Dieter's price on installing a new cooler, servicing the trans, etc, was the same as my friend's guess on the price to build the whole trans. I'm not complaining about the price, a man's gotta make a living. But I don't pay people to do things I can do myself... Woot!

no doubt this situation calls for a complete DIY bypass of the OE system.

CharlieFoxtrot
11/6/11 9:46 a.m.

It's alive! I ended up installing a new factory cooler. It's sandwiched between the rad and the condenser, with convoluted plumbing and really slick bolt-together o-ringed fittings on the lines. Any attempt at re-engineering would have been more costly than staying original, or a hack job.

Here's a pic of the old one. It was leaking from the lower pipe. You can see how the area is packed with wet leaves...

So, ~$300 for the cooler (getbmwparts.com), a new filter, ATF, antifreeze, air in the tires, and it's done. Oh, I put a radiator in, just because I was there. $165 at performanceradiator.com

Other goodies: found a like-new Bentley manual, a Peake scan tool and a set of wiper inserts on Roadfly for ~$170 shipped.

The car runs, drives and shifts great. My kid loves it, my wife thinks I'm a genius, and I'm pretty happy too. BMWCCA Street Survival class next Sunday in Brooksville FL....

The trans undoubtedly had its lifespan shortened by this leak, but I'm still way ahead when it eventually goes Tango Uniform.

Thanks everyone! kevin

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi Reader
11/6/11 9:56 a.m.

Sweet!

irish44j
irish44j Dork
11/7/11 6:57 p.m.

excellent, nicely done.

CharlieFoxtrot
12/30/13 10:25 p.m.

I'm pretty sure this car now has a blown head gasket and some water-filled cylinders.

It also has 6-month-old Conti Contacts in 225-60-16 + all front control arms, month-old front brake pads (posi-quiet) and rotors, 2-day-old Spectra radiator, 4-month-old Napa waterpump & thermostat, year-old ignition switch and one window regulator. Plus NIB rear brakes, NIB passive fuel pump, and a few other things. Also 4 15" original alloy wheels, 3 extras & some tires.

Everything (besides the motor) works and it's been a great car, but I don't think I'm gonna put a motor in it.

$1200? In Palmetto FL 34221 941. six eight five, 75O4

MINIzguy
MINIzguy New Reader
12/31/13 1:00 a.m.

LSx swap candidate now?

Some GRM'er must do eetttt!

CharlieFoxtrot
1/14/14 5:56 p.m.

ehhh... I'm putting a motor in it. Just a stock one, it's my kid's car! No, not a stock LS6, a stock 2.8 There are several for sale locally for ~$700-$900, allegedly good, in allegedly running cars. So if it'll run for 30 minutes without getting hot, I'll take it.

As always, there's a few craigslist crackheads wanting ~$1800 for a motor with more miles than the guys asking half or less! GLWS!

Way back in the beginning of this thread, someone mentioned a 530 sport with automatic. I drove one the other day (135k, asking $6500) and I gotta say, as nice as a 528 is, the 530 with a 5sp auto and sport package is a whole nother thing. I'd totally drive one of those, stone stock, as long as it'd run. Didn't buy it, though...

Wish me luck... Kevin

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7L3KGC10PGxq7vbGaZBuLh6Rx82KBPrcM42TmaEF4Z8slG7DvAfWZNp3gupYCfY5