5/26/08 8:36 p.m.

Up for grabs is my 1998 ACR DOHC Coupe with about 150k miles. I am the original owner. It has never been on a track but has lived a hard life. I didn't race from light to light but this car was not treated with kid-gloves.

Except for the accidents described below I took good mechanical care of the car. It has had the Koni's, engine mounts, and other TSB related items replaced under warranty. I replaced the head gasket at about 60k and the timing belt at about 90k (water pump and all other belts at same time). Oil was changed either by me or quick lube every 3-4,000 miles. I always used a quality filter and Moble 1 is all that have ever been in the engine.

You can do a carfax if you would like, but it has been in 3 accidents. The first one I hit a deer which banged up the right front and in a vain attempt to miss what has to be one of the stupidest creatures on earth I slid into a guard rail and scratched up the left side. This was all fixed courtesy of my insurance company. The second accident wiped out the right front again. Some clown high school kid passed me in front of an elementary school (double yellow lines 25mph speed limit with a blind bend). He didn’t have enough room to finish the pass and I didn't expect it so I didn't see him until he was in my peripheral vision. In order to keep from hitting a van head on he cut me off. I should have just let the moron hit me but instinct made me swerve and I caught one of those country road telephone polls that sit about 6 inches off the road. The kid kept going and neither I nor the guy in the van got his plate. At least the van guy was a witness for the police report so my insurance company fixed it up once again.

Last accident happened because I enjoy the way this car corners (note to self: hard corner and black ice + guard rail = OUCH). I did not fix the car this time since it happened winter of 2007 (January or February) and I knew that it wasn't going to pass emissions inspection so I just tossed a new tail light in and drove it until December of 2007.

The saga continued in December when one of the 2 steel lines that run under the manifold to feed the heater core sprung a leak. As soon as the temp gauge climbed I pulled over and then using many gallons of water I milked the car home, driving a couple of miles then adding more fluid until it was home and parked.
I decided not to fix it because it would not pass inspection with the creased quarter panel. It also needed both O2 sensors and I think an EGR valve to pass inspection.

Needless to say it was just time to put the car to sleep, but I couldn’t put a bullet in Old Yella (well white in this case). So why on Earth would I want to part with this Gem?

I was going to run it in the 24 Hours of Lemons in Connecticut this August, but decided not to, so I hope that someone will be interested in it. If you are interested in the car remember that you have 2 ways of taking it home. On a hook or show up with the metal heater tubes that run under the manifold fix it and take it away.

I know this isn't worth much but hope that someone will want to put it on a track where it belongs. (2008 challenge maybe).

Flickr images of the sad sack here.

P71 New Reader
5/26/08 10:27 p.m.

Where are you/the car?

donalson SuperDork
5/26/08 11:23 p.m.

did i miss the asking price?... and ya where is the car?

5/27/08 7:02 a.m.

The car is in North West NJ.

Best reference is about 10 minutes from Stokes State Forest off route 206.

Asking price is best offer over $500 since if I donate the car to the American Cancer Society I can write it off for that much.

5/27/08 8:04 a.m.

gabbys, I'm kinda interested.

Drop me an email at, and let's talk.


gabbys New Reader
5/27/08 12:11 p.m.

I'll send you an email tonight


You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners