1 2 3 4 5
Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
10/2/19 1:53 p.m.

In reply to Lof8 :

Yes, provided slower than 13.49 and you're wearing a full-face helmet. 

wheels777
wheels777 SuperDork
10/2/19 2:00 p.m.
Lof8 said:
Bent-Valve said:

Looking over what I need to be legal / safe for the Challenge, in the FAQ's:

Q: Are window nets exempt from my budget as a safety equipment item?

A: No

Relevant facts:

1) The car has a roll cage with mount points for a window net.

2) It also has no drivers side window because the roll cage door bars extend into the door

3) Drag times are definitely on the slow side, -- FWD, 140ish hp, etc.

4) I'm sure I need a full face helmet for the drag race due to no window.

Question:

Do I need a window net?

I'd like to piggy-back on this one.  My MR2 Spyder has no top and I'm thinking of gutting the doors and removing the side windows.  It has no roll bar or cage.  Am I legal without a side window or net?

I do not agree with the FAQ answer to the Net question.  It is for driver restraint.  It adds no performance value.  Used ones are very easy to get for free in my area.  But if someone want to buy one, why does it need to hit the budget?  It's driver restraint equipment.

Tom Suddard
10/2/19 2:05 p.m.

I just re-read the safety exemptions section, and do agree that window nets should be changed to be exempt. Provided nobody screams bloody murder tonight, I'll make the change and send out the competitor notification tomorrow. 

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
10/2/19 3:00 p.m.

In reply to Tom Suddard :

I agree that window nets are a driver restraint and should be exempt as a safety item, for whatever my opinion is worth 

surfshibby07
surfshibby07 Reader
10/8/19 8:32 p.m.

Just so i am clear, and i use the last few hundred of my budget wisely, i would like to confirm my roll cage requirement. 

My understanding of the rules are i would only be required to have a cage if i am faster than 11.49 (I am a mustang coupe)

I also understand i should not need a back brace for the seat. i believe my car will run right on the verge of this time but id rather put money into improving the handling of the car rather than the power/speed. I am sorry if this question has already been answer or if i am beating a dead horse here. 

Tom Suddard
10/9/19 1:09 p.m.

That's correct–11.49.  You shouldn't need a back brace. 

surfshibby07
surfshibby07 Reader
10/9/19 1:27 p.m.

Awesome. Thanks again. Hopefully i can run 11.5 lol

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
10/16/19 9:25 a.m.
surfshibby07 said:

just be sure to sneak up on that number.  if you run 11.47 on your first pass, you will receive *no* drag time.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
10/16/19 9:28 a.m.

question re. grandfathering cars against future rules changes:

MonZora has been built (well, as built as she is) to the 2019 rules.  do i need to bring her down this year and get grandfathered to protect against rules changes that might render her ineligible for 2020?

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
10/16/19 9:40 a.m.

Thats a good question! Because ive already started the 2020 build based on the 19 rules....

surfshibby07
surfshibby07 Reader
10/16/19 10:02 a.m.
AngryCorvair said:
surfshibby07 said:

just be sure to sneak up on that number.  if you run 11.47 on your first pass, you will receive *no* drag time.

Just for that pass though right? not for the remainder of my runs?

stafford1500
stafford1500 Dork
10/16/19 10:21 a.m.

In reply to surfshibby07 :

If you exceed your safety equipment time, you are done for the event. I think that is how it goes...

maschinenbau
maschinenbau SuperDork
10/16/19 10:24 a.m.

If you run faster than your safety equipment, also known as a "banzai run", you won't be allowed to make any more runs. Enforcement varies from track to track, just like tech inspection strictness, so it's good to plan for the worst. The drags at the Challenge are known to be pretty "lax" on what they allow, but your competitors may cry foul.

surfshibby07
surfshibby07 Reader
10/16/19 10:30 a.m.

well hopefully no one poops on my parade if i make a mistake. i haven't run the car but from power/weight combos i have had in the past it should run somewhere around the mid 11 mark. 

Tom Suddard
10/16/19 10:40 a.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

Thats a good question! Because ive already started the 2020 build based on the 19 rules....

We're not anticipating any major rule changes for next year. 

Tom Suddard
10/16/19 10:40 a.m.
AngryCorvair said:

question re. grandfathering cars against future rules changes:

MonZora has been built (well, as built as she is) to the 2019 rules.  do i need to bring her down this year and get grandfathered to protect against rules changes that might render her ineligible for 2020?

Yes, a car isn't grandfathered in unless it's competed at an event. Challenge cars sitting in garages don't get any special protection.

Tom Suddard
10/16/19 10:42 a.m.
surfshibby07 said:

well hopefully no one poops on my parade if i make a mistake. i haven't run the car but from power/weight combos i have had in the past it should run somewhere around the mid 11 mark. 

Banzai runs won't be counted, and you'll be barred from making future passes at the track's discretion. As far as enforcement goes: It will be nighttime after a long day, and everybody on the track staff will be ready to go home. I wouldn't expect them to go out of their way to keep you running–I'd expect them to be looking for any opportunity to empty out the staging lanes and go to bed. 

surfshibby07
surfshibby07 Reader
10/16/19 10:46 a.m.

so as long as i make some solid passes before hand those would count? I am not intentionally trying to run faster than allowed. i am just attempting to get as close to the mark as i can. No telling if the car will act up and even run sub 12;s or not. 

slowbird
slowbird HalfDork
10/16/19 12:49 p.m.

The previous runs to that should still count. You'll probably want to sneak up on it, like lift before the line on run 1, see how close you are, and go from there. Kinda like bracket racing.

surfshibby07
surfshibby07 Reader
10/16/19 1:10 p.m.

In reply to slowbird :yea that's what im thinking. Ill start with the 100 shot and then go to 150 and start lifting. 

Tom Suddard
10/16/19 1:20 p.m.
surfshibby07 said:

so as long as i make some solid passes before hand those would count? I am not intentionally trying to run faster than allowed. i am just attempting to get as close to the mark as i can. No telling if the car will act up and even run sub 12;s or not. 

Correct.

CrustyRedXpress
CrustyRedXpress New Reader
10/16/19 3:55 p.m.

Question on the Burchett rule:

My car came with 4 practically new rotors on it, but it had been sitting long enough for them to rust. 

Does this rule allow me to get the rotors turned down with no budget hit, or do I have to actually buy 4 new rotors?

Tom Suddard
10/16/19 6:37 p.m.

In reply to CrustyRedXpress :

I'll allow it. 

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 SuperDork
10/17/19 7:45 a.m.
surfshibby07 said:

At least in previous years, official challenge scoring for drag times are determined by the time slip you submit. So if you run multiple times, keep all your slips and then you'll want to turn in your best one. (As in, you break the 11.5 and don't get a slip, you still should have your old slips.)

This is something I didn't really realize my first time, possibly due to not paying close enough attention, but fortunately? I only had one successful pass to submit...

surfshibby07
surfshibby07 Reader
10/17/19 12:17 p.m.

In reply to AWSX1686 :

good to know. thank you to everyone who has answer my ongoing questions. ill try not to be such a newb in person. 

1 2 3 4 5

This topic is locked. No further posts are being accepted.

Our Preferred Partners
0UQ2uVwuobEuuVfZVfVcujcEiZ5vjTRo7Gd2NAaI2UWjngDpw7ReqSmXg4WOn6iQ