In reply to transsingle :

I wasn't but never say never.

CrustyRedXpress
CrustyRedXpress Reader
5/24/21 5:29 p.m.

CrustyRedXpress
CrustyRedXpress HalfDork
6/21/21 2:14 p.m.

More progress, lots of rebuilding and refurbishment these past few months.

Axle Rebuild:

The inner axle boots were both leaking so I took some time and rebuilt both of them. They were fine the last time I pulled the engine so I'm calling most of the ~$20 that I spent here maintenance on the build sheet. With how cheap axles are the Challenge is about the only place I'd recommend rebuilding them.

Turbo Rebuild:

The turbo setup that I bought for $300 is complete, but everything needs to be either rebuilt or modified. The turbocharger itself is a chinese copy of a Garret t04e and has seen probably a decade of hard use. The turbine blades had begun to machine themselves against the housing because the bearings were so worn, so all of it came apart. 

Self-machining turbine blades:

Bearings, cracked and worn:

Metal shavings in the oil inlet? Not today Satan, not today.

All back together:

No clue if it makes as much boost as when the unit was new, but it's not puking oil, making strange sounds and I hit the 9psi boost limit a couple of times on the test drive. So far so good I guess.

Upgrade to OBD1 Chipped ECU:

Forum member AAZCD posted some Honda parts for sale on the forum and I scooped them up. He was kind enough to include some extras in the incredibly well-packed box, and even included a rock-auto magnet! If I knew I was going to open something packed with such care I would have take pictures. AAZCD, if you're reading this everybody should know that you're a gentleman and a scholar.

I got two ECUs and some miscellaneous parts, so the plan is to refurbish both ECUs and sell one for recoup. So out came the soldering iron to replace the capacitors and drop a chip kit into both units. A couple of amazon jumper harnesses and a distributor later Crusty can run the latest and greatest tuning software (Honda Tuning Suite, it's free, so check them out if you are into Honda stuff).

Heating and cooling:

Crusty's engine bay has always been tight and the half radiator makes it difficult to keep temperatures down. Cutting holes in the front bumper and installing hood spacers definitely helped, but I have a feeling I'm going to end up cutting an extractor in the hood. I was kind of digging the sleeper look, but between an extractor, hood pins, and probably a hood exit exhaust. 

I'm getting away from the florida heat for a couple of months and I'll have a lot of work to do when I get back. Fingers crossed!

Current Status:

calteg
calteg Dork
7/29/21 2:53 p.m.

That CRX is gorgeous. I thought hood spacers were really only useful for the drift-kid crowd though? Don't they pressurize the engine bay at speed and make the radiator less efficient?

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
7/30/21 12:48 a.m.

In reply to calteg :

You're assuming the CRX is going to get up to a speed it'll actually make a difference.  Sorry Crusty I couldn't pass that one up.

CrustyRedXpress
CrustyRedXpress HalfDork
10/10/21 8:23 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

Ha! 

In reply to calteg:

I thought the same thing re: spacers, but this setup was reccomended by a CRX guy with a nearly identical turbo/half rad combo. 

CrustyRedXpress
CrustyRedXpress HalfDork
10/10/21 8:30 p.m.

Unfortunately, I'm going to miss the challenge again this year, so...

Crusty is for sale.

The price will be challenge friendly with many spares available seperately as one or two parts lot(s). I'll make an official post tomorrow evening or Tuesday AM, but everything in this thread will be included with the car or the spares-extra turbo setup, spare ECUs, sweet race seats and stiffer springs I scored this weekend, set of hoosier A7s mounted in 15s, rear sway bar, tuning laptop and cable, etc, etc. Preference will be given to somebody who can run the car at the challenge this year or the next. 

It would need to be street tuned before competing. Putting in a larger radiator or cutting a hole in the hood would solve the temp issue, but using a leaf blower between runs, or running w/out the hood would work as well.

I'm located near Fort Myers FL, 4 hours south of Gainesville. 

surfshibby07
surfshibby07 HalfDork
10/10/21 10:06 p.m.

In reply to CrustyRedXpress :

Very very tempting. Will be looking through the thread again now lol

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
10/10/21 10:19 p.m.

Dang!!

CrustyRedXpress
CrustyRedXpress HalfDork
10/12/21 7:20 a.m.
CrustyRedXpress
CrustyRedXpress HalfDork
10/23/21 11:32 a.m.

Giving this a bump for updated pricing-$1450 buys Crusty.

Would love to see a challenger buy this, but last price drop before I list it locally.

Byrneon27
Byrneon27 Reader
10/24/21 8:44 a.m.

Is it cleanish? We may be in the market for a clean new chassis

CrustyRedXpress
CrustyRedXpress HalfDork
10/24/21 4:30 p.m.

In reply to Byrneon27 :

Clean but sold! Hopefully we'll see it at the challenge next year.

CrustyRedXpress
CrustyRedXpress HalfDork
11/8/21 5:52 a.m.

Crusty is back on the market! 

Buyer had to cancel due to personal reasons. 

Still trying to get this to a GRM'er who can use it at the challenge. 

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/cars-sale/1991-honda-crx-turbocharged-challenge-car-1950/187195/page1/

CrustyRedXpress
CrustyRedXpress HalfDork
11/12/21 5:14 p.m.

Sold to a GRM'er and did the handoff today. Hope to see it at the challenge soon!

Indy "Nub" Guy
Indy "Nub" Guy PowerDork
11/12/21 5:20 p.m.

In reply to CrustyRedXpress :

Now that it's sold, are you going to have to change your screen name?

CrustyRedXpress
CrustyRedXpress HalfDork
11/12/21 5:47 p.m.

In reply to Indy "Nub" Guy :

Haha! No, I'll just make sure my next car is crusty, red, and fast.

Hasbro (Forum Supporter)
Hasbro (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
11/12/21 5:59 p.m.

Woohoo! Good News.

5 6 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
L9FmY3zefrnzUwdOp7rGA90clSutjdeBpnMgmMDQbSWsiJRErBqipAylRrmr1ais