2 3 4 5 6
captdownshift
captdownshift PowerDork
10/18/18 8:56 a.m.

In reply to ultraclyde :

the MX3 would be even better tbh.

regarding tires, I'd strongly recommend a minimum of a H speed rating to discourage anyone from coming out with a T rated squishy sidewalled rubber that can make for interesting things when lifting off throttle or trail braking while autocrossing, and whose speed rating would be exceeded would be exceeded in the drags.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
10/18/18 8:57 a.m.
wae said:

In reply to SVreX :

In following with the spirit of letting your daughter drive it 25,000 more miles to high school, maybe refine "street legal" to mean all original-style body panels, lights, glass, bumpers, etc.  Some sort of wording to prevent replacing the hood with a coffee can lid.

“Original style?” Meh. 

Any rule that would prohibit box flares on any vehicle is clearly from the devil. 

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem SuperDork
10/18/18 9:00 a.m.

captdownshift
captdownshift PowerDork
10/18/18 9:03 a.m.

In reply to Ovid_and_Flem :

and an inscription that states something along the lines "that all other snails trail"

wae
wae SuperDork
10/18/18 9:03 a.m.
SVreX said:
wae said:

In reply to SVreX :

In following with the spirit of letting your daughter drive it 25,000 more miles to high school, maybe refine "street legal" to mean all original-style body panels, lights, glass, bumpers, etc.  Some sort of wording to prevent replacing the hood with a coffee can lid.

“Original style?” Meh. 

Any rule that would prohibit box flares on any vehicle is clearly from the devil. 

Oh, yeah, you're absolutely right.  Better wording, then.  I assume we're trying to avoid the deathkart look.

Stampie
Stampie UberDork
10/18/18 9:33 a.m.

On the concours bonus points wouldn’t that violate the don’t add to the Challege rules?   You can make them more restrictive for a subclass but not less.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
10/18/18 9:38 a.m.

In reply to Stampie :

It’s more restrictive. 

Only 9 Execution points available, with an additional one if you drive it. wink

Cooter
Cooter Dork
10/18/18 9:44 a.m.

The extra point is going to be harder to get for some teams than the street legal requirement. 

Driving from Georgia, Alabama, or ...umm, Florida, will be a heck of a lot easier than from say, Oklahoma or Wyoming. 

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
10/18/18 9:44 a.m.

It will be super cool if there are enough cars in close competition that a bonus point for driving would make the difference. Driving to/from the event is certainly in the spirit of the class, but I don't want anyone broken down with no way home over 1 point. 

For our award only, let's add a point for a "driver" and let awarding that be up to the class members. If you drive it to work/school and can prove it, I think that should carry as much weight as driving to the event even if you choose to make the trip to Gainesville on a trailer/tow dolly for your own reasons.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
10/18/18 9:48 a.m.

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

Sounds good. 

I’d probably drive mine to the event, with a chase vehicle and empty trailer to take it home. 

But that won’t work for a 1 man team. 

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
10/18/18 9:52 a.m.
SVreX said:

In reply to Stampie :

It’s more restrictive. 

Only 9 Execution points available, with an additional one if you drive it. wink

I’m re-thinking this. My idea won’t work. 

Concours scoring method needs to be identical for all competitors, for the consistency for the judges. 

I agree with Seth. Just not sure how to fit it on a score sheet. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UberDork
10/18/18 9:55 a.m.

In reply to SVreX :

Are we overthinking this?  What if you just emphasize to the judges at the beginning of concours that for the gastroclass street drivability is a big deal and let them score accordingly?

sleepyhead
sleepyhead Dork
10/18/18 9:58 a.m.

how 'bout the Snail T-shirt is free if you can prove you drove-down or daily-drive, otherwise it's $25?

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
10/18/18 10:01 a.m.

Re the drive point- I wonder how realistic that is. The same reason street registered cars aren't a requirement,  applies here. Myself and well...half the people that have responded to this class have a distinct advantage in that we only live a few hours from Gainesville. For me, that's an east free point. If someone like say, vigo participates, hes taking a much bigger risk over that one point. I'm all for bonus points, but only if we all have the same shot. 

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk PowerDork
10/18/18 10:03 a.m.

If this is an informal class can't the judges just judge as normal and then the competitors add the appropriate point for driven cars? Some regular competitors might not like being "passed" in the concourse by someone gaining bonus points and affecting the overall finishing order.

P3PPY
P3PPY Reader
10/18/18 10:09 a.m.

"If you're not the lead snail, the view never changes"

mazdeuce - Seth
10/18/18 10:27 a.m.

In reply to DeadSkunk :

Yes, this part has to happen outside the normal scoring and finishing order. It's an informal class, just the same as the Aristocrats were when they popped up. I helped John make the trophies for that. 

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett MegaDork
10/18/18 10:30 a.m.

“Look at that s-car go!”

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UberDork
10/18/18 10:32 a.m.

In reply to Pete Gossett :

S-Cargo?

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
10/18/18 11:02 a.m.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

In reply to SVreX :

Are we overthinking this?  What if you just emphasize to the judges at the beginning of concours that for the gastroclass street drivability is a big deal and let them score accordingly?

I think Seth is right. 

These cars are still competing in the overall. Telling the judges to use a different standard for this class would be unfair. 

It needs to remain informal within the class participants. 

spin_out
spin_out HalfDork
10/18/18 11:17 a.m.
SVreX said:

Let’s talk about tires for a minute...

I like the idea of including them in the budget for simplicity reasons. I also understand that it will lead to bad things. 

$400 is a big budget hit for $2000 cars with no recoup. Most of us don’t have 300tw tires laying around. 

This is gonna lead novice teams to run on crappy tires, possibly on the street. 

How can we strike a good balance?

We found a set of 280 tread wear tires mounted on the rims for $180 on FB marketplace.  They had a mid 2017 manufacture date, so we thought they would be a good emergency rain tire.  For those wanting new I think they cost $68.57 each at The Tire Rack.  Toyo Proxes T1R.   

My point is there are used tire deals out there.  Plus there are inexpensive 280 tread wear tires.    Maybe 300 TW sb 280 if you want cheap tires?

mazdeuce - Seth
10/18/18 11:26 a.m.

I'm fine with 280 if there are no complaints. Again, the big thing was to keep the class away from the current 200tw tire wars and all of the compromises that come with them. I know that it's very possible to find them used for not too much, but then you can find Hoosiers for not much and we're right where we started. Whatever number keeps us out of 200tw tires and makes is simple is good to me. 

glueguy
glueguy Dork
10/18/18 11:46 a.m.
Ovid_and_Flem said:

Middle one tagline:  "Aspiration to overachieve"

grover
grover HalfDork
10/18/18 11:52 a.m.

Just make the driving requirement only valid in Florida. Meaning that if you drive from Virginia, then you only have to drop it off the trailer at the state line. That could make for some interesting route choices.  If you’re in Florida already you drive, and yes I know it’s a long way from the keys to Gainesville. 

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
10/18/18 11:52 a.m.

Another tire question...

The Gpods also have to compete in the bigger event. 

What if a Gpod showed up with 2 sets of tires?  Same rules as the bigger event- only  4 “free” tires. 

Obviously, they’d have to run the 300tw tires for the Gpod class. Are we OK with them running a 2nd set for the overall?

I am.  Changing tires is part of racing.

Of course, the scoring is gonna get a little tricky.  The CAM class is gonna have the same problem.  But I think it could be solved with a big window sticker that said “Gpod”, and a volunteer checking at the start.

Thoughts?

2 3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
EFvZaQ6CUbujdaTdd41YK52CyNAxY8WHu8QCIDwYF5xo9SnfgP8AnEfDhSSrKMQ0