2 3 4 5 6
slowbird
slowbird HalfDork
10/28/19 10:17 a.m.
captdownshift said:

I also just want to see someone attempt to limp a 27 year old 7 bolt 4G63 through the weekend, hopefully swapped into a Mitsubishi Expo or Dodge Colt. 

I also want to see a duster turbo and AWD Tempo with a manual transmission. 

I'd totally love to bring either an AWD Tempo or a V6 Tempo (sadly the V6 and AWD were not available together)

I'm pretty sure any and all Probes are also Radwood-eligible, so I could bring that back next year laugh

Also hell to the yes on minitrucks, I was thinking about that yesterday on the drive home.

hobiercr
hobiercr SuperDork
10/28/19 10:18 a.m.

Would megasquirt be allowed for this class?

slowbird
slowbird HalfDork
10/28/19 10:21 a.m.

In reply to surfshibby07 :

2000 Mustang? Check the build date, it might be technically from 1999 laugh and looks the same as the 99 model.

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
10/28/19 10:32 a.m.
slowbird said:

Also hell to the yes on minitrucks, I was thinking about that yesterday on the drive home.

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
10/28/19 10:41 a.m.
hobiercr said:

Electromotive tec2 or tec3!

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo Mod Squad
10/28/19 10:46 a.m.
Ranger50 said:
hobiercr said:

Electromotive tec2 or tec3!

heh, I actually know where a tec2 is installed on a semi-running car

spacecadet
spacecadet Dork
10/28/19 11:39 a.m.

Radwood is about celebrating the cars and primarily how they looked IMHO. Technology got a LOT better after the fact. Period correct is neat, but radwood era Cars with any kind of modern mod is still Radwood in my book, it's just not best of show level Radwood generally. 

Thats my take on LS swaps and such. 

slowbird
slowbird HalfDork
10/28/19 11:46 a.m.
Ranger50 said:
slowbird said:

it's...beautiful...

Also: 80s-style pro street cars. but only of actual 80s cars, no 69 camaros.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
10/28/19 12:13 p.m.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
10/28/19 12:37 p.m.

dammit!!!

Y'all are NOT helping my project add....

Neon radwood, nader overall, and miata redemption?

Im gonna need some teammates. And money. 

maschinenbau
maschinenbau SuperDork
10/28/19 12:37 p.m.
John Welsh said:

In reply to pimpm3 :

Radwood, which seems to be a play on The GoodWood Festival of Speed and the '80's word Radical was started by a guy who was very active on GRM a long time ago.  

Bradley

Back from the day when he had a '92 Maroon Crown Vic... maroon92

https://www.radwood.co/

The office might consider if there is a cross opportunity here for a Radwood Gainesville Festival that could happen simultaneously.  I could envision more spectators at The Challenge if lets say there was a Radwood show that Saturday at the dragway in the sun while the Challenge cars were separately being shown under the pavilion 

I've always though a car show happening concurrently and adjacent to Concours would be an amazing thing for the Challenge.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
10/28/19 12:44 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

dammit!!!

Y'all are NOT helping my project add....

Neon radwood, nader overall, and miata redemption?

Im gonna need some teammates. And money. 

I'm rusty on turbo Mopar. What was the hot ticket before srt swaps?

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
10/28/19 12:49 p.m.

In reply to Mndsm :

They would turbo the DOHC 2.0. It worked, the only problem was during the entire 1G neon run you could make massively more power using massively less money with the older turbo cars. Then right about when those parts started to dry up the srt 2.4 came along and working with 1G motors became useless again. 

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
10/28/19 12:59 p.m.

It wont be boosted. Fully prepped na car with period parts (were not going to talk about the stash i have accumulated....). The plan for the neon is to build what a serious autocrossing neon dork would build in 1997 with a showroom fresh acr. Full rotisserie car, complete with replated hardware, paint dabs from inspection, etc is what i want to own. 

I have everything but the paints, replated hardware, and wear items to do it. Except for the engine re-ring kit for the numbers matching engine and a limited slip for the numbers matching trans. 

Its gonna be a RIOT.

minivan_racer
minivan_racer UberDork
10/28/19 1:16 p.m.

Damn.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
10/28/19 5:30 p.m.

I had a REALLY interesting thought. If I bought another AE101 corolla- I could do radwood, gastro, DD, and possibly even sub 1000$ class. All in one shot. 

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
10/28/19 5:57 p.m.

In reply to Mndsm :

You're going to need a teammate to help you carry the trophies. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
10/28/19 6:01 p.m.

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

I'm not turning down any help. Though I will freely admit this might be aborted just like EVERY SINGLE OTHER EFFORT IVE EVER MADE AT CHALLENGE- reality is we're looking at buying a house, and our lease is up challenge weekend next year. It's distinctly possible I could be moving when I'm supposed to be racing a corolla. 

On the other hand, I'd like another corolla. 

slowbird
slowbird HalfDork
10/28/19 6:02 p.m.

I'm trying to talk myself out of buying a second Probe and building them into a two-car team: one made for autocross, and the other one tubbed with drag slicks and a V8.

n8
n8 New Reader
10/28/19 8:30 p.m.

Early C4 Corvettes are awfully unloved and squarely in Radwood territory. Just don’t forget some tacky period correct body accessories or billet wheels. 

vwcorvette
vwcorvette UltraDork
10/28/19 8:48 p.m.
n8 said:

Early C4 Corvettes are awfully unloved and squarely in Radwood territory. Just don’t forget some tacky period correct body accessories or billet wheels. 

Gotti rims FTW!

minivan_racer
minivan_racer UberDork
10/29/19 8:34 a.m.

"Radwood" is defined as 1980-1999 with consideration given to "continuation" models made last 99 that are the same as the 99 and eariler vehicle, and older models modified in a manner consistent with the period, so a Pro Street muscle car with crazy graphics could be considered radwood.

I really do think that the staff should reach out to the radwood guys and try and do a tie in. I would also consider only allowing "new" builds or builds that haven't completed for at least 2 years to be considered for the radwood sub class to try and dull the pointy end of the field some.

evildky
evildky SuperDork
10/29/19 8:47 a.m.

Are pop up headlights required or just a bonus?

slowbird
slowbird HalfDork
10/29/19 8:53 a.m.

In reply to evildky :

+2 to concours score.

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
10/29/19 8:57 a.m.
minivan_racer said:

I would also consider only allowing "new" builds or builds that haven't completed for at least 2 years to be considered for the radwood sub class to try and dull the pointy end of the field some.

I like and dislike this rule at the same time. I like it because it's not last years recycle with a new coat of "polish" on it for the subclass. Plus it builds that magical "editorial content".

I dislike it though because some of us have "horrible" adulting responsibilities that preclude building yet another project vehicle. I'm going to try to finish my stillborn V8 Ranger project as a non challenge vehicle and do my "Radwood" subclass idea with my old challenge car....

2 3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0J2tRimXqlyIiiNX9QFRFTNT1iUqYRXo3WwKQ5ORz0k3qTt9S9yWwLFYOEMFbLVt