3 4 5 6 7
pimpm3
pimpm3 UltraDork
10/29/19 9:23 a.m.
minivan_racer said:

"Radwood" is defined as 1980-1999 with consideration given to "continuation" models made last 99 that are the same as the 99 and eariler vehicle, and older models modified in a manner consistent with the period, so a Pro Street muscle car with crazy graphics could be considered radwood.

I really do think that the staff should reach out to the radwood guys and try and do a tie in. I would also consider only allowing "new" builds or builds that haven't completed for at least 2 years to be considered for the radwood sub class to try and dull the pointy end of the field some.

The pointy end of the spectrum are all running LS engines, 4.2 Atlas, or Infiniti engines which came out after the late 90's.  The period correct discussion precludes them already.

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
10/29/19 9:27 a.m.

In reply to pimpm3 :

I'm going for overall with none of those in a radwood era car 

Jordan Rimpela
Jordan Rimpela Digital Editor
10/29/19 10:07 a.m.

Allanté​​​​​​​ or Reatta. This is my dream. 

E_NinjA
E_NinjA
10/29/19 10:15 a.m.

Long time lurker here on GRM. It's far too long of a trip to take from SoCal to make the challenge each year but I have kept tabs for a while. We currently have a 92 Acura Legend in west coast mint condition sitting here in the shop that I'm pretty sure I can get from my customer with challenge money to spare. Any suggestions on a Radwood appropriate engine swap, as this thing stalls on a fairly regular basis, and well, because who doesn't want to try and make more power.

slowbird
slowbird HalfDork
10/29/19 10:27 a.m.
evildky said:

Are pop up headlights required or just a bonus?

Oh and if you bring a car with a digital dash, you should get special recognition of some sort.

minivan_racer
minivan_racer UberDork
10/29/19 10:28 a.m.

In reply to pimpm3 :

So the class is going to consider the entire build being period correct and not a period looking exterior with modern tech underneath?  I guess I should just wait for an official ruleset shouldn't I?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
10/29/19 10:29 a.m.

Given that the Spyder was released in 1999, does that make all three generations of MR2 legal for this class?  I'm having evil thoughts about taking a Spyder and removing everything, cutting stuff, and "retro-fying" it along these lines:

white_fly
white_fly HalfDork
10/29/19 10:36 a.m.
vwcorvette said:
n8 said:

Early C4 Corvettes are awfully unloved and squarely in Radwood territory. Just don’t forget some tacky period correct body accessories or billet wheels. 

Gotti rims FTW!

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/cto/d/dacula-corvette-1986/6994779412.html

Just saying...

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
10/29/19 10:40 a.m.
Jordan Rimpela said:

Allanté or Reatta. This is my dream. 

Let's not forget the Chrysler TC by Maserati as well! 

A perfect place to showcase all those old 2.2L turbo capabilities. 

slowbird
slowbird HalfDork
10/29/19 10:41 a.m.

In reply to minivan_racer :

"RADwood is a celebration of '80s and '90s automotive lifestyle. 

The car show that blends period correct dress with automotive awesomeness. A period correct event for cars, trucks, and bikes from 1980-1999 that captures the essence of a bodacious era."

I think if we're going to dress period-correctly, then we should have period-correct engines and other parts as well.

Crap, I'm going to have to start looking for vintage clothes to wear. laugh

white_fly
white_fly HalfDork
10/29/19 11:35 a.m.

I want to mention that Radwood doesn't just mean cars from some date to another. It's about celebrating an era and the peculiarities of it. We're not looking for the timeless, we're looking for the dated. I'd encourage anyone thinking about participating take a look at some Radwood coverage on Bring A Trailer or elsewhere and get a flavor for this stuff.

pimpm3
pimpm3 UltraDork
10/29/19 11:41 a.m.
minivan_racer said:

In reply to pimpm3 :

So the class is going to consider the entire build being period correct and not a period looking exterior with modern tech underneath?  I guess I should just wait for an official ruleset shouldn't I?

That's for us to decide on the forum.  Personally I think we should stay period correct across the board.  If we allow non period correct modifications we are going to get "normal" challenge cars with flashy paint and a bunch of costumed drivers.  That takes away from the special class.   

That's just my 2 cents 

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
10/29/19 11:52 a.m.
pimpm3 said:
minivan_racer said:

In reply to pimpm3 :

That's for us to decide on the forum.  Personally I think we should stay period correct across the board.  If we allow non period correct modifications we are going to get "normal" challenge cars with flashy paint and a bunch of costumed drivers.  That takes away from the special class.   

That's just my 2 cents 

This. Except for the tires. Purely because of price, availability, etc of the old sizes and compounds 

slowbird
slowbird HalfDork
10/29/19 12:03 p.m.
white_fly said:

I want to mention that Radwood doesn't just mean cars from some date to another. It's about celebrating an era and the peculiarities of it. We're not looking for the timeless, we're looking for the dated. I'd encourage anyone thinking about participating take a look at some Radwood coverage on Bring A Trailer or elsewhere and get a flavor for this stuff.

https://www.radwood.co/photo has a smorgasbord of the types of cars that fit the theme. Sadly in very small resolution though.

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2018/10/15/radwood-philadelphia-2018

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
10/29/19 12:21 p.m.

Should we start another thread for RadWood inspiration?  I'm looking though the Chicago Craigslist and I'm blanking out. The right car might be sitting there, and I don't even know it.

packrat
packrat New Reader
10/29/19 12:27 p.m.

My 92 Volvo 244 on 16” Voxx wheels would fit nicely, but it’s getting a 5.3/4l60 combo this year.  

pimpm3
pimpm3 UltraDork
10/29/19 12:34 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

Hoosiers and r1's are readily available and were the go to tires back in the day. 

We need to reach a consensus on 200tw tires. They revolutionized autocross in the 10's  but were definitely not available back in the day.

minivan_racer
minivan_racer UberDork
10/29/19 12:44 p.m.

I'm ok with that.  I don't like the idea of a 3rd gen Camaro or fox body with a modern engine winning the sub class.  I think for tires a modern tire is ok but no wheels larger than a 17" since bigger wheels were just coming around at the end of the "rad" era. Also I think ECU tech shouldn't be limited.

My idea is to try and bring my "race van" if I can resolve a starting budget.  It has a 2.4 swap but the engine is from a 98 stratus so I hope it would be allowed.

hobiercr
hobiercr SuperDork
10/29/19 12:46 p.m.

In reply to pimpm3 :

The Yokohama A008R was available back then. The new version ADVAN Neova AD08 R is listed as a 200tw.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
10/29/19 1:23 p.m.
hobiercr said:

In reply to pimpm3 :

The Yokohama A008R was available back then. The new version ADVAN Neova AD08 R is listed as a 200tw.

I just had this discussion elsewhere that in the old days of 1994 and first autox ing my 90 Miata I ran BFG R1s which requires a trailer and swapping tires at the track.  The new 200tw tires don't leave much on the table (if anything) compared to the old R1s but they sure are much more convenient 

I don't like limits but if you stay period correct you're likely to have to force people onto slicks like R1s given that 200tw didn't yet exist.  I think it is wise to just open it up to allow 200tw also.which therefore is no limits on tire selection 

evildky
evildky SuperDork
10/29/19 3:19 p.m.
slowbird said:
evildky said:

Are pop up headlights required or just a bonus?

Oh and if you bring a car with a digital dash, you should get special recognition of some sort.

Oh how about T tops? it's starting to sound like spec Z31

Jordan Rimpela
Jordan Rimpela Digital Editor
10/29/19 3:23 p.m.
John Welsh said:
Jordan Rimpela said:

Allanté or Reatta. This is my dream. 

Let's not forget the Chrysler TC by Maserati as well! 

A perfect place to showcase all those old 2.2L turbo capabilities. 

Oh, that might be the ticket! 

Robbie
Robbie MegaDork
10/29/19 3:25 p.m.

5 pages and no biturbo...

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
10/29/19 3:30 p.m.
minivan_racer said:

I'm ok with that.  I don't like the idea of a 3rd gen Camaro or fox body with a modern engine winning the sub class.  I think for tires a modern tire is ok but no wheels larger than a 17" since bigger wheels were just coming around at the end of the "rad" era. Also I think ECU tech shouldn't be limited.

My idea is to try and bring my "race van" if I can resolve a starting budget.  It has a 2.4 swap but the engine is from a 98 stratus so I hope it would be allowed.

Sounds legit so far. 

pimpm3
pimpm3 UltraDork
10/29/19 4:18 p.m.

I have no problem with open tire rules, it will make it easier on teams and ultimately safer.

I do think alot of great points have been made regarding the period.  Would a pro stock 1969 camaro with crazy paint and graphics scream 1980's?  I think so and I think it would be totally representative of the Radwood theme.  I guess the hard part is picking a set of rules that is broad enough to generate entries yet restrictive enough to prevent every single vehicle entered from qualifying for the class.

I think the 1980 to 1999 year range with period correct modifications does that quite well and is not hard to explain.

3 4 5 6 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7X5oFcEHMjCSiTxaMcIyWbIIurYBzXftCWqPObROpyoiM06OF2YEcUgZVM6aoYr9