Flight Service
Flight Service UberDork
12/30/12 5:28 p.m.

Not mine, but man what find! Just east of Baton Rouge

this is not a kit car! true classic vehicle that , one day, will be looked back as one of the true classics. i have owned it for 20 years but let it go. i truly want someone to get it and restore it to it's true glory. this car needs alot of work but you'll truly have the most nique vehicle around! 351 windsor engine with only 26,000 miles. clear title. here's a link to more info... http://www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bricklin_SV-1 i have enclosed a photo of what it looks like and one of what it could look like. it has rims on it that cost over $800. here's a link with other photos...http://www.google.com/search?q=bricklin&hl=en&tbo=u&tbm=isch&source=univ&sa=X&ei=sjfPUMChM-jD2QXgqIHQBg&ved=0CEIQsAQ&biw=1366&bih=636

__additional info_ The Bricklin SV-1 was a gull-wing door sports car assembled in Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada. The body panels were manufactured in a separate plant in Minto, New Brunswick. Manufactured from 1974 until early 1976 for the U.S. market, the car was the creation of Malcolm Bricklin, an American millionaire who had previously founded Subaru of America. The car was designed by Herb Grasse.[1] Due to Bricklin's lack of experience in the auto industry, coupled with the funding problems,[2] the Bricklin factory was not able to produce vehicles fast enough to make a profit. As a result, only 2854 cars were built before the company went into receivership, owing the New Brunswick government $23 million.

The model name (SV-1), stood for "safety vehicle one". The original idea for the Bricklin SV-1 was a safe and economical sports car, but due to the added weight of the safety features, the car was inefficient and simply a safe sports car. The Bricklin was designed for safety with an integrated roll cage, 5 mph (8.0 km/h) bumpers, and side beams. The body was fibreglass with bonded acrylic in five "safety" colours: white, red, green, orange and suntan. The cars had no cigarette lighter or ashtray.[3] Non-smoker Malcolm Bricklin believed it was unsafe to smoke and drive. The Bricklin is the only production vehicle in automotive history to have powered gull-wing doors, that opened and closed at the touch of a button, as standard equipment. (The later DeLorean DMC-12's gull-wing doors must be operated manually.)

The first Bricklin concept car, latter dubbed Grey Ghost, was built by Bruce Meyers of Meyers Manx dune buggy fame in California. Its initial powerplant was a Valiant Slant Six.[4]

logdog
logdog HalfDork
12/30/12 5:35 p.m.

As far as Craigslist goes its not the worst ad, but why would you only post a single picture of the car that was apparently taken from a block away? Seller knows its rare and should know potential buyers would want more pics. Sigh.

Flight Service
Flight Service UberDork
12/30/12 8:18 p.m.

I am shocked this is all the response this has gotten...

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi Dork
12/30/12 8:42 p.m.

That photo doesn't show that the fiberglass has delaminated from the safety structure; I've looked at a couple because they actually look good to me but I doubt I would ever buy one. I know Of an orange one behind a gas station covered by a tarp, it is listed as "missing/salvage" on the briklin website.

corytate
corytate SuperDork
12/30/12 10:02 p.m.

WHY IS THAT ONLY $2K?!?!?!?!

cutter67
cutter67 Reader
12/31/12 4:49 a.m.
corytate wrote: WHY IS THAT ONLY $2K?!?!?!?!

because the top of the market is 12k you will see them for crazy numbers but they dont sell. most sell for around $8,000.00 or a lot less. they are just a glorified kit-car. the fit and finish sucks, the wiring is always a mess so many have been butchered over their lives.

ZOO
ZOO SuperDork
12/31/12 8:41 a.m.

I apologize, on behalf of all Canadians, for the visual monstrosity that is the Bricklin. Fortunately we do make better looking, Chevy-powered sports cars.

Spinout007
Spinout007 SuperDork
12/31/12 9:01 a.m.

In reply to ZOO:

What...is....that? Wow

andrave
andrave Dork
12/31/12 9:12 a.m.

the bricklin is cool but they were essentially kit cars... meyers manx continued to produce a similar body for a while.
"only" 2k because finding someone who can do good fiberglass work is hard and often expensive when you do. not to mention all the aforementioned wiring and plumbing headaches the car probably needs solved. And god help you if you need hardware for the gullwing doors. cant' imagine it uses off the shelf parts.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UltimaDork
12/31/12 9:15 a.m.
ZOO wrote: I apologize, on behalf of all Canadians, for the visual monstrosity that is the Bricklin. Fortunately we do make better looking, Chevy-powered sports cars.

Chevy's response to the GT?

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
12/31/12 9:56 a.m.
andrave wrote: the bricklin is cool but they were essentially kit cars... meyers manx continued to produce a similar body for a while. "only" 2k because finding someone who can do good fiberglass work is hard and often expensive when you do. not to mention all the aforementioned wiring and plumbing headaches the car probably needs solved. And god help you if you need hardware for the gullwing doors. cant' imagine it uses off the shelf parts.

You are thinking of the Meyers SR (the only thing they ever produced even close to a Bricklin) It predates the Bricklin and it is nothing like the bricklin, Meyers was out of business before the bricklin came on the scene. The Bricklin was a real car, not a kit, yes it used drivetrains from AMC and Ford but Studebaker used chevy motors toward the end, that doesnt make them a kit car.

Meyers SR

Matt B
Matt B Dork
12/31/12 10:00 a.m.

That Meyers SR looks like a Rollerskate's short fat-n-fun cousin.

cutter67
cutter67 Reader
12/31/12 12:14 p.m.
Datsun1500 wrote: In reply to JThw8: Meyers did build the Bricklin prototype. Now that I am looking at them..... how are they to have as a car? Fun or not worth it? Seems like you could have a pretty unusual car for $10K

i have a friend who has owned these cars since the early 80's and still has one. they are a hand built hodge podge of parts. fit and finish was lacking, overheating problems, wiring problems, ac and heat sucked, the interior wasnt great.

it always draws a crowd at the car shows yes you can get nice examples for under 10k and most likely you will have the only one at the local car show.

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
12/31/12 12:43 p.m.
Datsun1500 wrote: In reply to JThw8: Meyers did build the Bricklin prototype. Now that I am looking at them..... how are they to have as a car? Fun or not worth it? Seems like you could have a pretty unusual car for $10K

Bruce Meyers may have been involved with the prototype although I've never heard of it. But the Meyers company went under in 71 so they did not have anything to do with Bricklin production.

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
12/31/12 2:35 p.m.
Datsun1500 wrote:
cutter67 wrote: they are a hand built hodge podge of parts. fit and finish was lacking, overheating problems, wiring problems, ac and heat sucked, the interior wasnt great.
Other than that, nice? This site has Meyers involved in the prototype http://auto.howstuffworks.com/1974-1975-bricklin-sv11.htm

Yep, sorry I'm more familiar with my Meyers history than Bricklin and that's not a fact he seems to like to tout much in his bio ;) My original point still stands though, the Bricklin is not a kit car and was not continued to be produced by Meyers after the company went under as was suggested earlier.

ZOO
ZOO SuperDork
12/31/12 4:17 p.m.
Spinout007 wrote: In reply to ZOO: What...is....that? Wow

It is a HTT Plethore LC-750

Spinout007
Spinout007 SuperDork
12/31/12 4:34 p.m.

Love the design, (I got tired of waiting so I went and looked at your picture source) but the we're not tellin what it costs aspect let's me know I could win the lotto today and wouldn't look to buy one. I would go hunt down a Bugatti EB-110 first.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
1/1/13 10:00 a.m.

I pass two Bricklins on my way to work every day. They are similar to Biturbos in that every one seems to be in the same state of disrepair.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UberDork
1/1/13 12:20 p.m.

Used to have one.

Kinda miss it just for how unusual it was.

Never heard of myers involvement.. guy who did the prototype was Herb Gasse (or something similar)

Most certainly NOT a kit car

1974's AMC 360 v8, could be had with a manual trans.

1975's Ford 351w, only trans was a ford FMX 3 speed auto. (can do an AOD conversion) NO MANUAL OPTION

1976's were leftover 75's

The bodies were not just fiberglass. They were acrylic OVER fiberglass. Very strong, but aged funny. Color was not painted on, but was impregnated in the acrylic layer (which was >1/8th inch thick). Scratches could be buffed out. Rumor has it that the body could shrug off sledgehammer blows (wasn't about to test that). Painting them can be tricky. Repop panels are fiberglass ONLY. This leads to some of the body difficulty.

The bumpers are HEAVY, seriously heavy.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
1/1/13 2:36 p.m.
Apexcarver wrote: The bumpers are HEAVY, seriously heavy.

I think they were really playing up the safety thing when the cars came out.

Knurled
Knurled UltraDork
1/1/13 2:39 p.m.
cutter67 wrote: i have a friend who has owned these cars since the early 80's and still has one. they are a hand built hodge podge of parts. fit and finish was lacking, overheating problems, wiring problems, ac and heat sucked, the interior wasnt great.

So it's an Esprit for the common man?

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UberDork
1/1/13 2:53 p.m.
Woody wrote:
Apexcarver wrote: The bumpers are HEAVY, seriously heavy.
I think they were really playing up the safety thing when the cars came out.

They were!

Proper name of the car is Bricklin SV-1 for "safety vehicle 1" claimed the gullwings as a safety feature. (dubious as rollovers re bad news)

also, no cupholders or cig lighters as they were distractions

irish44j
irish44j UltraDork
1/1/13 6:18 p.m.

A guy I work with has one (among other rare or oddball cars like an FB RX-7 convertible). It was in excellent shape, he was kind of a detail freak. He drives it every once in a while to work. I got to drive it once and it struck me as being terribly un-fun. I mean, not like Versa un-fun, but less enjoyable to drive than any non-truck vehicle I've ever owned (and that includes an older Accord!).

The interior on his is in great condition, but it seems terribly cheap and cheesy.

IDK, it's kind of neat in a "don't see one often" kind of way, but I think it's a pretty unattractive car with few redeeming features, personally. And gullwings are lame, IMO :)

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gOh1uH3LBX2Xb5h9ESVkeGw3549FiZ0OW9lc8b4hzocl7NdrbN4EpNQwDLSkUiQH