bluescooby
bluescooby Reader
5/4/16 11:32 p.m.

Sold, thanks!

Klayfish
Klayfish UberDork
5/5/16 7:22 a.m.

You're only about 10 minutes from my office...I'm in Lawrenceville. If the wife wouldn't kill me...

bluescooby
bluescooby Reader
5/5/16 7:58 a.m.

Nope, I get it. Mine didn't kill me but she did threaten to roll it into the street and light it on fire on several occasions...

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UltimaDork
5/5/16 10:07 a.m.

What's the situation with the clutch? OK or need replacing?

crewperson
crewperson New Reader
5/5/16 10:36 a.m.

Do you think it would be okay for a fly and drive? Say 800 miles.

bluescooby
bluescooby Reader
5/5/16 11:09 a.m.

I was told by the PO that the clutch had been replaced a year or so prior to me purchasing it, but the PO had no records of it. I haven't had any issues, it holds well with no slip or chatter.

As for the fly and drive, I'm not 100% sure, just because I've not taken any road trips with it. It left me stranded once but it was a charging issue; I replaced the alternator and it's been good since. I also addressed a radiator leak that caused it to run hot when sitting in traffic. So in theory all the hiccups it's had that might prevent a road trip have been tended to, but I've not tested it out...

Stefan (Not Bruce)
Stefan (Not Bruce) MegaDork
5/5/16 11:19 a.m.
crewperson wrote: Do you think it would be okay for a fly and drive? Say 800 miles.

Only if you're planning on replacing the timing belt before you leave or if there is documentation of the belt being replaced recently.

They need to be replaced every three years or 30-40,000 miles, otherwise they'll launch valves into the pistons.

Klayfish
Klayfish UberDork
5/5/16 11:29 a.m.

Any idea when the timing belt was last done? Is it leaking, smoking? Suspension in good shape?

Imjosh
Imjosh New Reader
5/5/16 12:03 p.m.

"Other things that need some TLC: motor mounts are shot (have replacements), power steering is disconnected (have a replacement pump and seal kit), timing belt (have belts, water pump, and flywheel lock), and the front seats have covers (could stand to be reupholstered)."

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 Reader
5/5/16 12:10 p.m.

If you were't so far away I would definitely consider this. It looks pretty clean aside from the seats and front bumper.

Imjosh
Imjosh New Reader
5/5/16 3:27 p.m.

I sent you an email.... I'm working on permission.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UltimaDork
5/5/16 6:18 p.m.

In reply to Imjosh:

Easier to just ask for forgiveness

Stampie
Stampie HalfDork
5/5/16 6:42 p.m.

In reply to spitfirebill:

Just tell her that you bought it for her.

Cooper_Tired
Cooper_Tired Reader
5/5/16 7:05 p.m.

That's a killer deal.

So glad I'm forbidden to buy another car right now.

crewperson
crewperson New Reader
5/5/16 7:40 p.m.

Permission?? What is this permission stuff?

Stefan (Not Bruce)
Stefan (Not Bruce) MegaDork
5/5/16 8:38 p.m.
crewperson wrote: Permission?? What is this permission stuff?

It's something adults have to sometimes get from their significant others before making a large investment of either time or money.

A cheap Porsche falls into both categories.

Mine still hasn't forgiven me over the 924 I bought. In my case forgiveness hasn't happened.

bluescooby
bluescooby Reader
5/5/16 10:02 p.m.
Klayfish wrote: Any idea when the timing belt was last done? Is it leaking, smoking? Suspension in good shape?

Nope, the PO didn't do one and the car didn't have any service records. I've got belts and such but just haven't found time to hunker down and change them. Suspension feels fine. No smoking but it looks like it might be leaking a little from the front main seal... haven't been able to get in there to check it out. The oil level hasn't decreased noticeably since I changed it. Most of the crud on the engine and undercarriage is the power steering fluid that evacuated from the pump when the PO forgot to use the correct stuff...

And as far as asking forgiveness goes, that only works once or twice in my experience. My wife wised up pretty quickly. I've tried it with cars and guns, with limited success...

Cooper_Tired
Cooper_Tired Reader
5/6/16 7:40 p.m.
crewperson wrote: Permission?? What is this permission stuff?

Yeah I just brought a Miata home, and still haven't sold the car the Miata is replacing.

No way I'd survive bringing home a Porsche

Imjosh
Imjosh New Reader
5/11/16 7:34 p.m.

Asking permission turned to begging..... Begging worked.

Thanks Bluescooby

bluescooby
bluescooby Reader
5/11/16 7:56 p.m.

Ha ha! Enjoy it buddy, thanks!

paranoid_android74
paranoid_android74 SuperDork
5/11/16 9:41 p.m.

In reply to Imjosh:

Well played sir, well played!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners