1 2
EvanB
EvanB PowerDork
10/24/12 10:14 a.m.

http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/cto/3356498582.html

not mine, etc

seller said: I HAVE A 5SP CRX W/ 65K ON IT. PULLED IT OUT OF STORAGE SEVERAL MONTHS BACK. THOUGHT IT NEEDED A IGNITION MODULE, BUT LEARNED FRM A HONDA TECH THAT IT NEEDS A DISTRIBUTOR. THE DISTRIBUTOR IS SPECIAL AND WILL TAKE SOME SERIOUS SEARCHING TO FIND. ( I'VE GOT A LEAD ON IT) I'VE GOT 2 PROJECTS IN FRONT OF THIS ONE. HATE TO LET IT GO, BUT DONT WANT IT TO SIT ANY LONGER.BEST OFFER GETS IT. THANKS

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac MegaDork
10/24/12 10:17 a.m.

Sounds like it needs megasquirt and coil on plugs, is more like it.

PHeller
PHeller UltraDork
10/24/12 10:19 a.m.

Do they really have some sort of special distributor?

eastsidemav
eastsidemav HalfDork
10/24/12 10:24 a.m.

Any Clevelanders want to check this out and see how bad the rocker/floorpan/rear subframe rust is?

Woody
Woody MegaDork
10/24/12 10:25 a.m.

That's an HF.

dculberson
dculberson SuperDork
10/24/12 10:25 a.m.

What a great little car. Aww, man.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk Dork
10/24/12 10:39 a.m.

Can't be all that hard to swap in the entire drive train and electronics from a later Civic, can it? My wife wanted a CRX in that exact colour back in the day. She would want an automatic though.

eastsidemav
eastsidemav HalfDork
10/24/12 10:44 a.m.
DeadSkunk wrote: Can't be all that hard to swap in the entire drive train and electronics from a later Civic, can it? My wife wanted a CRX in that exact colour back in the day. She would want an automatic though.

86-89 Acura Integra swap is almost a drop in. Mix and match mounts, cut one of them a bit, use the Acura's wiring harness, and you're good to go. B-series swaps are doable, too, but more involved.

I'd like another one, our Integra-swapped rallycrosser was a beast.

EvanB
EvanB PowerDork
10/24/12 11:30 a.m.

I emailed him (again) to maybe take a look at it soon even though I probably shouldn't buy a non-running car. He said the underside was undercoated but didn't know what it looks like now.

eastsidemav
eastsidemav HalfDork
10/24/12 11:37 a.m.
EvanB wrote: I emailed him (again) to maybe take a look at it soon even though I probably shouldn't buy a non-running car. He said the underside was undercoated but didn't know what it looks like now.

If it looks pretty solid, and you pass, please let me know. It would be fun to renew the Beetle/CRX battles

EvanB
EvanB PowerDork
10/24/12 11:43 a.m.
eastsidemav wrote:
EvanB wrote: I emailed him (again) to maybe take a look at it soon even though I probably shouldn't buy a non-running car. He said the underside was undercoated but didn't know what it looks like now.
If it looks pretty solid, and you pass, please let me know. It would be fun to renew the Beetle/CRX battles

I ended up passing on the Beetle, his idea of solid floors/body is a bit different from mine. The engine is worth the price but the body isn't worth it for me to put the money in right now.

EvanB
EvanB PowerDork
10/24/12 11:45 a.m.

He is in zip 44110 near Euclid, anyone in that area who could check it out? It's about 1.5 hours from me.

poopshovel
poopshovel UltimaDork
10/24/12 1:16 p.m.

Tough to beat for the price, even to buy and flip. I definitely wouldn't buy the "needs new distributor" thing though. If you buy it, for the love of god, keep it stock, and enjoy your 40-50mpg hypermiler.

Check for rust around the panhard bar and torsion bars mounts. Best of luck. If that was here, I'd already own it. Oh, and I don't know whether or not there is an HF specific distributor. If it is specific to the HF, it will be a bitch to find, and expensive. The HF did have a lot of HF specific stuff; short bumpers, smaller drums, smaller rear axle, etc.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 PowerDork
10/24/12 1:18 p.m.

About 1.5 hours from me. Often I am up that way but no plans for that travel this week.

bravenrace
bravenrace PowerDork
10/24/12 1:19 p.m.
eastsidemav wrote:

You can't tell if a first gen CRX is solid or not from the outside. You have to look up from underneath, so you can see the torsion bar mounts and if it has any rocker left or not. They're covered by plastic cladding.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
10/24/12 1:31 p.m.

I always thought one of those plus a Civic VX motor would be a fun and still super efficient commuter.

Fletch1
Fletch1 HalfDork
10/24/12 1:37 p.m.

As a fellow Ohio mate, be careful of a Ohio 1st gen Crx. I've had several 89-91 Civic's/Crx's. They rust on the outside, these rust where you really don't want it to. It's already been said about torsion rust and floors. I looked at 2 a few years ago. The first didn't have hardly any floor left and the second had rusted torsion bar mounts so when you turned while driving, the whole body of the car swayed back and forth and the wheels rubbed on the inside of the wheel well. You never know though. It's worth a shot.

bravenrace
bravenrace PowerDork
10/24/12 1:48 p.m.

In reply to Fletch1:

I think that would be a rusted panhard bar mount that would cause that, no? In any case, what you say is very good advice. Having owned three first gen CRX's, I know this well. I'm currently looking for a high mpg commuter car, and I don't think I'll make the 1/2 hour drive to see this one. That should tell people something. But like you said, you never know.

Fletch1
Fletch1 HalfDork
10/24/12 2:11 p.m.

In reply to bravenrace:

Could be, you would know more than I would. I would be somewhat interested, but waiting until you sell me your black Crx Si.

stan
stan SuperDork
10/24/12 4:28 p.m.

If anyone looks and doesn't buy, please let me (us) know. I have two '87 HFs now and wouldn't mine one with that kind of mileage!

ss
ss New Reader
10/24/12 5:03 p.m.

Does anyone have a contact number? Euclid is one city north of me. Tried a couple of emails with no luck.

EvanB
EvanB PowerDork
10/24/12 5:14 p.m.

I've been in contact with him via email. I asked for a number and will PM it to you.

ss
ss New Reader
10/24/12 5:19 p.m.
EvanB wrote: I've been in contact with him via email. I asked for a number and will PM it to you.

Thanks Evan

ss
ss New Reader
10/27/12 8:11 a.m.

In reply to ss:

Well I saved this one from the yard. Very rusty underneath Clean oem fenders,tails,headlights ,hatch and interior. Had it running on ether but I assume the fuel pump on the dizzy is not working. My leader has dibs on all parts,hail to the hong

EvanB
EvanB PowerDork
10/27/12 10:42 a.m.

Good to hear, I never got a reply back from the seller so I wasn't sure what was going on.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
b3qf1hFkxQaRLiidUjiLhYecYZbqpHdwagP8RNZEcf6UOMZhHYvFDH1lvGJIk1iB