GhiaMonster
GhiaMonster Reader
1/13/12 8:35 a.m.

1991 Audi 200 for sale. Currently licensed and insured, sometimes street driven with 283,xxx miles. Why sometimes? Well it seems to have some British heritage and doesn't like to start when wet. Definitely needs new plug wires and cap, checked other common issues and didn't see anything obvious.

It has been a great car to me since 2005 as a DD and sometimes set tire on Limerock and Watkins Glen for HPDE days. Also was an autocrosser for a few years, where the name Landbarge was given. I can't bring myself to scrap a running, driving car and would love to see it live on either in a cheap car challenge of your choice or parts for a project. Could also be a great winter beater for someone willing to tinker with it more than me in my cold driveway.

Basic rundown: 2.3l I-5 turbo 20V, 5 speed, AWD. 15 gallon fuel cell and external pump mounted in trunk due to stock fuel tank rust. (That much closer to being a race car) Will need LR caliper rebuilt. Did the RR this fall, never got around to the other side. Besides gas tank and exhaust surprisingly small amount of rust for a 21 year old northeast car. Basic electronics still work (lights, wipers, stereo, heated seats).

Currently using its rims/tires for winters on DD, so either supply your own or wait until spring. Current price: $900 OBO and willing to negotiate if crapcan racing is in the works. Located in western NY (Jamestown, NY) -Matt

SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy SuperDork
1/13/12 8:39 a.m.

I think all Audis have some British heritage. My 200 had a similar "wet start" issue sometimes, also the windows and windshield wipers had a mind of their own!

Pretty good deal. You can make a lot of power with the 20v, and they sound like sex. The body is galvanized, too, so the car will quit running completely long before the body shows signs of corrosion. GLWS, I loved mine - when it ran!

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy Dork
1/13/12 8:52 a.m.

OMG! Unintended acceleration for under $1000!

This is the year with the flared wheel arches, right?

SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy SuperDork
1/13/12 8:59 a.m.
Brett_Murphy wrote: This is the year with the flared wheel arches, right?

Yep, 1991 20V's have the flared arches.

Knurled
Knurled Dork
1/13/12 9:33 a.m.

My Quantum needs this drivetrain in the worst way.

GhiaMonster
GhiaMonster Reader
1/13/12 10:17 a.m.

I love this drive train which is why I bought a '93 S4 to replace it. I believe you need the automatic for true unintended acceleration, as well as being American to make it happen. Still love to drive it, when it runs.

EvanB
EvanB SuperDork
1/13/12 10:43 a.m.
Knurled wrote: My RX7 needs this drivetrain in the worst way.

Yes it does.

Billharrison
Billharrison
1/20/12 5:54 p.m.

Sill available? I am interested let me know!

GhiaMonster
GhiaMonster Reader
1/23/12 9:44 a.m.

It's still hanging around, collecting snow at this point.

GhiaMonster
GhiaMonster Reader
7/26/12 11:29 a.m.

Update: now with wheels and good snow tires included. Discount for any crapcan racing adventures.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy SuperDork
7/26/12 8:44 p.m.

Why do you tempt me so? I'm glad I don't live in NY any more.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy SuperDork
7/26/12 8:46 p.m.

I didn't see if it was a Quattro or not, but I think all of the 20v turbos were Quattro, right?

SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy UltraDork
7/27/12 7:01 a.m.
Brett_Murphy wrote: I didn't see if it was a Quattro or not, but I think all of the 20v turbos were Quattro, right?

Yes, that is correct. Audi never sold the 20v in a FWD car.

GhiaMonster
GhiaMonster Reader
7/27/12 9:56 a.m.

Yes, it is a Quattro. Don't worry Brett, I have no intention of driving it down to you in NC. You are safe for now.

stumpmj
stumpmj Dork
7/27/12 2:03 p.m.

How about Iowa? I could use a fifth car :)

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy SuperDork
7/28/12 1:02 a.m.
GhiaMonster wrote: Yes, it is a Quattro. Don't worry Brett, I have no intention of driving it down to you in NC. You are safe for now.

I appreciate that. With luck it will be gone before I go up North to visit my family again.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
OJQLMt0TEOi0tcnjU2ojmN4zRYS3AU5XSNuOYasUkW7GrrLrrY2cUtdouU9Fhcal