Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
6/27/11 7:13 p.m.

It is a '93 325is with 248k on a non-VANOS 2.5L. It runs strong. I drove it around a little... it pulls well and smoothly up to 6800. Suspension feels solid. Located in NE PA. Scranton area.

The good:

• H&R race springs, Bilsteins
  • A whole folder of receipts demonstrating that someone loved it once. (I know the P.O. pretty well. Had good mech care, just got beat to hell as a city car )
  • Good rubber
  • Runs strong
  • Clean title (NJ, still in the last guy's name, signed)
  • Shifts smoothly
  • LSD
  • Some kind of aftermarket radio that does not sound too bad.
  • new alternator
  • glass is good, motors all work

The Bad:

• It has some rust. It isn't a basket case and for a racecar project it's easily doable.
  • It got a pretty good tap in the left rear at some point and it was not repaired so much as "banged out" and painted. Nothing important got bent but if looks are important to you... keep looking. See pics.
  • The interior is restorable but has the usual delamination problems. Seats are solid and in decent shape though. Best to toss it all, sell what you can and put a cage in there ;)
  • battery wont keep a charge
  • No AC belt. I am making the assumption the reason is bigger than a belt.

My plan from the beginning was cage + spec suspension + refresh == BMWCCA SE36 but... I have a race car I just sunk a ton of cash into and it needs more still. I either have to sell it now for small money or clean/fix it more, put a cage in it and then sell it. I'm looking for the easy way out.

The disclaimer:

I drove this car exactly 8 miles. I washed it and poked around a little. I rev'd it up a little. I didn't go over it very well at all. $1400 gets me even on the purchase, the fuel to tow it home and the scotch/steak dinner I had to buy my 'ol man for letting me park it in his garage for the last 3 mos. If it ain't worth that to you... don't break my stones to sell it to you for $100. Come up with a trade too cool for me to walk away from. I do love motorcycles, lathes and interesting project cars... although too many of that last one is why this one is going so... it really has to be sweet.

Here are the rest of the pics: Photo album

Here it is running: Quick video

John Brown
John Brown SuperDork
6/27/11 11:21 p.m.

I am $1300 short this week. Too bad really, I like the looks of this!

6/28/11 12:45 a.m.
John Brown wrote: I am $1300 short this week. Too bad really, I like the looks of this!

Whaddya got to trade?

integraguy
integraguy SuperDork
6/28/11 7:44 a.m.

I am tempted to blame GRM for the fact that this model of BMW is getting harder to find in my area. Just about any other 3 series is easier to find (both "toolin'" around on the streets or for sale) as are all other models (5, 6, 7) of the BMW sedans.

corytate
corytate Reader
6/28/11 5:14 p.m.

damn, I'm 1200 short and have nothing that is tradeable except a cheap electric scooter and a $500 old sony camera. lol

SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy SuperDork
6/28/11 5:48 p.m.

I really wish this was closer. I'd buy it yesterday if it was in Milwaukee.

John Brown
John Brown SuperDork
6/28/11 7:06 p.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote:
John Brown wrote: I am $1300 short this week. Too bad really, I like the looks of this!
Whaddya got to trade?

Witty banter at the moment. I start the new job monday after next and those Unemployment checks you are paying me with are a little thin ;)

pigeon
pigeon Dork
6/28/11 8:28 p.m.

What warning light is the piece of black tape covering? Anyway, I'd be interested in trading my ugly but quick 944 Turbo once I finish putting the motor back together (burned valve) and fix the clutch hydraulics (unless you want to come pick it up next time you're at the Glen, I'm only 1.5 hours north; I just need to reinstall the cam tower and intake to get it back running). I'm into the 951 for about double what you're into the BMW for.

ansonivan
ansonivan Dork
6/28/11 8:40 p.m.

Looks like a whole bunch of fun.

Appears to have e36 m3 strut mounts also which means bonus caster.

6/30/11 8:04 p.m.
pigeon wrote: What warning light is the piece of black tape covering?

SRS Airbag. The other glowing light is the brake pad warning. I have a brand-spankin' new set of fronts sitting on my shelf so... of course it needs rears.

pigeon wrote: Anyway, I'd be interested in trading my ugly but quick 944 Turbo. I'm into the 951 for about double what you're into the BMW for.

If you are looking for an escape I can ask around to see if there is interest - guys I hang with are big fans of the 951 but am all done with the care & feeding of turbo cars. I tried to love them but they weren't kind to me.

6/30/11 8:09 p.m.
ansonivan wrote: Looks like a whole bunch of fun. Appears to have e36 m3 strut mounts also which means bonus caster.

Yes. It has M3 factory sways, Bilstein M3 struts/shocks and H&R race springs too. It handles well and feels pretty tight. I didn't get up under it to check the RTABs but it takes a set and hangs on in corners so they aren't completely shot.

6/30/11 8:15 p.m.
SlickDizzy wrote: I really wish this was closer. I'd buy it yesterday if it was in Milwaukee.

I think all it needs so far is a battery and rear pads but if you were serious I'd make an effort to check it over more carefully so you had some confidence you could drive it home.

The_Jed
The_Jed Reader
6/30/11 9:55 p.m.

DO FRIGGIN WANT!!!!!!!!

JtspellS
JtspellS Reader
6/30/11 10:09 p.m.

Will give you my MS3 with the new thermo i put in tomorrow in trade? lol

patgizz
patgizz SuperDork
7/2/11 6:05 p.m.

half tempted to offer one of the coolest projects ever.

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/reader-rides/371/

slefain
slefain SuperDork
7/5/11 2:11 p.m.

whoa, canoe time

7/5/11 3:28 p.m.

Sweet. Canoe bump! For once they are actually useful to me.

DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer SuperDork
7/6/11 7:40 a.m.

Would you like a ZAV?

7/6/11 8:34 a.m.
DukeOfUndersteer wrote: Would you like a ZAV?

Probably but it does not fit well in my grand scheme unless it is a Gladiator

DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer SuperDork
7/6/11 8:45 a.m.

In reply to Giant Purple Snorklewacker:

ARG! haha ok. Nobody really likes 85 Jeep Cherokees with 4 cylinders anyway

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
rJAF0KFHNHgZ1CwwgsRJLuftGgheJnW29zPkkDi7dR6ITRHtLXkMyIwHE9GT1DSg