2 3 4 5
dherr
dherr Reader
2/13/18 11:18 a.m.

Do you know if the HP48 has a standard exhaust flange bolt pattern or is it proprietary? I will probably just cut off the v-band and weld on my 90 degree, but if it was somethiing standard that I can buy off the shelf, I won't cut this one and will order one to customize.

whiskey_business
whiskey_business Reader
2/13/18 11:34 a.m.

In reply to dherr :

It's proprietary. I've had good luck transferring the flange shape onto a plate, cutting the center out with hole saws, and ovaling a tube to fit the hole to get a better outlet adapter

bluej
bluej UltraDork
2/13/18 12:51 p.m.
whiskey_business said:

In reply to dherr :

It's proprietary. I've had good luck transferring the flange shape onto a plate, cutting the center out with hole saws, and ovaling a tube to fit the hole to get a better outlet adapter

Ooh, I like that idea, especially since i'm a bit worried about how much the wastegate will have to flow in my usage.

whiskey_business
whiskey_business Reader
2/13/18 1:03 p.m.

In reply to bluej :

I'll look for my pictures of the thing, it turned out pretty beautifully.

dherr
dherr Reader
2/13/18 1:12 p.m.

Thanks for confirming, I can definitely do that. 

whiskey_business
whiskey_business Reader
2/13/18 1:13 p.m.

Not sure how well you can see in this picture, but this is the hotside I built for a 10.3L V8. Below is it at full song.

dherr
dherr Reader
2/13/18 1:49 p.m.

Wow, that is impressive! Hope mine does not get quite that hot :-)

Any suggestions on the flange plate (thickness and material)? I would prefer to use Stainless if I can find it as the downpipe is all stainless 304.

whiskey_business
whiskey_business Reader
2/13/18 1:52 p.m.

In reply to dherr :

I'd use no thinner than 3/8, this was 1/2". We had mild steel on hand for this, plus it iis more resistant to cracking and less expensive. 304 or 409 are good stainless varieties for doing something like this as well.

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane Dork
2/13/18 3:05 p.m.

^ That's beautiful.  Brings a tear to me eye :)

I also hope mine doesn't get anywhere near that hot.  Thanks for the suggestions on the flange, too.. I was going to fab a new one as well based on previous discussions.

whiskey_business
whiskey_business Reader
2/13/18 3:28 p.m.

In reply to WonkoTheSane :

Always happy to help. And believe it or not, that turbo shown above ran like that for 500+ hours at a time. Continuously. 

dherr
dherr Reader
2/13/18 3:52 p.m.

Picked up a 304 3/8 plate for this, so will wait for my 90 to come in and will build my own in SS. Should have pictures next week.

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane Dork
2/14/18 8:22 p.m.

Dumb question, but do you remember what the thickness of the manifold tubing was that you used?  I'm planning on getting some els to make a manifold, and I'm torn between over and under doing it thickness-wise.

Thanks!

whiskey_business
whiskey_business Reader
2/14/18 9:15 p.m.

Used schedule 10 stainless butt weld elbows. They're in the ballpark of 1/8 inch thick. Always overshoot with them, better to be too heavy  than get a nasty header crack. 

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane Dork
2/15/18 12:13 a.m.

That sounds like what I was looking at using.  The next step up was ~.200" or so which seemed overkill.  I knew I didn't want anything less than .090", since I'd be worried about the weight of the assembly causing problems, if not the heat.

dherr
dherr Reader
2/15/18 11:20 a.m.

I ordered a 304 Stainless Steel Tube 3mm (11 Gauge) Thick 2.5" O.D. Elbow 90 Degree Pipe so it sounds like .12 so close enough. I get the plate this weekend, so will cut it out and should have my downpipe completed next week.

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane Dork
2/15/18 8:20 p.m.
dherr said:

I ordered a 304 Stainless Steel Tube 3mm (11 Gauge) Thick 2.5" O.D. Elbow 90 Degree Pipe so it sounds like .12 so close enough. I get the plate this weekend, so will cut it out and should have my downpipe completed next week.

Cool!  Where did you end up ordering from?

I'm still 6 months ito from starting my project.. I blame the two month old twins on my laziness.

whiskey_business
whiskey_business Reader
2/15/18 8:40 p.m.

It was for work, so everything was from McMaster. They're fast and convenient, but expensive.

Plumbing supply places are much cheaper.

dherr
dherr Reader
2/16/18 7:50 a.m.

I just ordered one from ebay

CX-304-Stainless-Steel-Tube-3mm-11-Gauge-Thick-2-5-O-D-Elbow-90-Degree-Pipe

Was exactly as described, just got it yesterday, so should be building my downpipe over the weekend

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane Dork
2/16/18 10:41 a.m.

Cool. I've had CXRacing bookmarked on this project, along with prlmotorsports for the miata header flange. 

I love McMaster, but you're right, they're not the cheapest.

dherr
dherr Reader
3/1/18 6:48 a.m.

Finished my downpipe and flange, I think it turned out pretty good.

malibuguy
malibuguy Reader
3/1/18 7:01 a.m.

I have a 1d 3" 409ss donut...would of been perfect for that downpipe

whiskey_business
whiskey_business Reader
3/1/18 7:12 a.m.

In reply to dherr :

Looking good!

dherr
dherr Reader
3/1/18 9:31 a.m.

It should flow much better than the original end plate, which was 2" , my exhaust is 2.5" from the turbo, down to 2" in the middle and splitting to two 2" pipes on each side of the diff to two mufflers. For this small turbo, it should help it to spool quickly and my boost goals are modest (10 psi) so looking forward to getting this fired up!

dherr
dherr Reader
3/1/18 9:35 a.m.

In reply to malibuguy :

Yes, that donut would have been okay except 3" is larger than my turbo exhaust flange plate!

gumby
gumby New Reader
3/5/18 10:30 p.m.

Incoming email thru the board.

2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
eKuQVKDS5NeXIQIDKjUHzCgaUlesTBH2R6BanBHbVQfqqyc9w3jQU7OtsO8Fnu5f