problemaddict
problemaddict Reader
5/30/11 1:39 a.m.

Been meaning to put this up here for a while. I'm in over my head with projects and have been for years I need to thin the herd. I've tried to get this GLH back to running condition before selling but have been unsuccessful. I've completely lost interest, so here ya go! A nearly complete Challenge package, minus combustion

Photobucket

1985 Dodge Omni GLH Turbo

Converted to '87 style ECU

2 pc intake

Big Isuzu NPR Intercooler

crude 5th injector setup

A555 transmission

Cable shifter

Lexan windows in the rear doors and hatch

Ebay coilovers

nearly new KYB GR2 struts up front

AGX adjustable shocks out back (from a DSM)

VW GTI front seats on custom rails

Toyo Proxes street rubber mounted on "pizza" wheels (good tread, but some dry-rot cracking)

Hoosier 205/50/15 race tires (not sure what model designation, see pix)

BFG Drag Radials (two, 225/50/15)

extra set of "snowflake" rims

Autometer Tach and Boost gauge

EGT gauge

Cyberdyne coolant temp gauge

NEW starter

NEW head gasket

spare timing belt included

Pretty rust free body. The pass. side floor was getting a bit rusty and had a couple small (1/4" or smaller) holes. I treated the floorpan with rust treatment and filled the holes w/ bondo

Ran a 14.0@97mph in the quarter on a shakedown pass with 14psi boost and an eyeball alignment. Then developed a miss and didn't run great at the '08 Challenge.

What's wrong with it, you ask? It won't start. After the Challenge it sat for many months. When I tried to revive it the starter motor would only spin the motor at quarter speed, "wuh-wuh-wuh", even while being jumped off a running vehicle. So I ordered a new starter. After many more months I finally got the new starter installed. And guess what? "wuh-wuh-wuh" it still only spins at quarter speed. It also doesn't seem to have spark. This is where I gave up.

I'd guess at the very least it needs new starter/battery cables. There didn't seem to be any corrosion on the starter's terminals or connectors, but maybe the wire is corroded/broken inside the insulation somewhere. I dunno. This car has been plagued by electrical gremlins since day one and I've done some hacky things to get it running. So I'd suggest it would need a new harness and computer and such to get going. I'd recommend a turbo minivan's harness and single underhood computer (check the turbo mopar forums for info on this) or a Megasquirt and you'll be good to go!

And it all can be yours for $800 Located in southeast PA: 19440

$2008 Challenge autocross:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AO4B7r5ADpc

$2008 Challenge drag passes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDY7G-_UhP0&feature=channel_video_title

Start Fail (new starter, freshly charged battery, holding 10v while starting)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMiI4QoxWj0&feature=channel_video_title

Pulled it out of the garage today and took a ton of pix. Check my photobucket for 71 pix I took today:

http://www.photobucket.com/omniglhforsale

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

SilverFleet
SilverFleet HalfDork
5/31/11 8:49 a.m.

That's a good deal, even if just for the parts alone!

tb
tb Reader
5/31/11 2:07 p.m.

Hey man, long time no see! I hope that you realize that I hold you personally responsible for getting me into the challenge with "pinky" so many years ago...

I am definitely interested, but I would need a few days to put all my ducks in a row...

refresh my memory if you could... The omni is an "L" body and a similar vintage Caravan would be a "G" ?("H"?) body with little very little or no interchangeability for suspension bits?

problemaddict
problemaddict Reader
5/31/11 4:43 p.m.

Hey!

Your thinking is correct, Omni is an L-body w/ little to no interchangeability that I know of...

Keep me posted,

Mike

fastasleep
fastasleep Reader
5/31/11 8:04 p.m.

Mike,

Feel like pulling it south?

-Les

Travis_K
Travis_K SuperDork
6/1/11 1:05 a.m.

The a-arms and front brake calipers/rotors from a van will fit the l-body, along with the engine, transmission, wiring harness, and a few other things. I have a whole piple of turbo dodge parts i will sell for very very cheap if someone wants them too.

problemaddict
problemaddict Reader
6/1/11 2:48 p.m.
fastasleep wrote: Mike, Feel like pulling it south? -Les

Hey Les, All my vacation time is already booked up, so I don't think that's in the cards. You'll just have to come up and visit, and drag the omni back home w/ you.

DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer SuperDork
6/1/11 3:05 p.m.

I tell ya what, if this is still for sale in mid-July, i will stop by and take it off your hands on our way back from Waterfest!

tb
tb Reader
6/5/11 7:10 p.m.

PM sent... might have to check your spam folder...

problemaddict
problemaddict Reader
6/13/11 12:09 a.m.

bump before it goes to ebay

problemaddict
problemaddict Reader
6/18/11 7:28 a.m.

On ebay now, reserve already met:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330578064233&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
layuCREPjGZ5VDRhCqh0hm41gB7D1ivg6lXS21hvEmnqucVqxG1ZXyXVZHNCgRdm