AAZCD
AAZCD HalfDork
7/19/19 7:18 a.m.

After I trade the FMV of a bad part (to myself) for a cheaper working part, can I sell the 'bad' without regard to the Challenge budget?

I already have $1,000 figured for recoup.

...Edited, less detail is better I think

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
7/19/19 8:23 a.m.

So to clarify my hasty reply.  The way the rules are written, and i’m not going to find the word for word quote because i have stuff to do, is that you may trade stuff to your stash.  I have a colossal hoard of parts, which i’m sure you do too.  Some of this stuff was part of large deals years ago, leftovers from cars of a past life, crap i have had since before the challenge was a goal and I started getting receipts for everything.  

Herein lies the basis of the self trade clause.  You buy a car, car comes with X you don’t need, but don’t necessarily want to sell to recoup.  Or your deal was so great you maxed out recoup.  So you trade it for similarly valued Y on your shelf just like you would if joe blow said “i’ll Trade you x for y”

what happens when joe blow trades you for Y is akin to what happens after you trade yourself for Y.  It’s no longer part of the equation once it’s written off on your spreadsheet as traded for X.  Anything beyond that is an unrelated transaction 

In the end this is an editorial exercise for magazine content.  If you buy $5000 worth of car and parts for $1000, recoup it and trade a ton of stuff and bring an awesome car, it’s good for them to write about because you’re showing ingenuity and have a paper trail of the how and why it could possibly be replicated for around $2000.  

I personally never cared for the self trade clause, but the more i look at this as an event to generate interest in the GRM brand, the more ok I am with it and more willing I am to use it.

AAZCD
AAZCD HalfDork
7/19/19 9:54 a.m.

Thanks for the reply. That really makes clear sense of it.

frenchyd
frenchyd UberDork
7/19/19 11:07 a.m.

In reply to Patrick : Thank you too, that really explains things to me.  

Now I’ll be able to do a legitimate challenge car, except I won’t attend.   I’ll start a build sheet and try to put in pictures  to show that a legitimate wheel to wheel car can be put on the track for $2020 or $2021. 

I’m Sorry the transportation cost to Florida including fuel,  food, lodging etc would eat up my post assembly racing budget for several wheel to wheel events. Which frankly I prefer.  

Hopefully others will see that wheel to wheel doesn’t have to be such an unobtainable thing. 

GTXVette
GTXVette UltraDork
7/24/19 9:26 a.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

I truly understand the Transporttion/ lodging. I am but a 3rd. of the Distance.

Begin The Rattling of Sabers      Are there any 'Like' Minded Jaguar Members around.

Were I Not Building 2 Entries NOW I would Happily Buy a Tank of Gas ,, Just To Meet You and Hang Out

surfshibby07
surfshibby07 New Reader
7/30/19 10:01 a.m.

In reply to Patrick :

So to be clear, as long as you have similarly valued Parts on your shelf to something you got on a parts car, you can trade it even without having to list FMV for the new part? I only ask because i am but a few hundred away from my budget cap and i want to trade myself the wheels on the parts car i got for a set of wheels i have in the garage as they would work better. but the way i read the rules were that you had to list it at FMV if you traded parts. maybe that was just if you traded parts with a 3rd party and not yourself. 

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
7/30/19 10:08 a.m.

In reply to surfshibby07 :

You can trade them, if they are equal value. 

There’s  a wide range of value in wheels.  Including size. Wide wheels are usually worth more than stock skinnys 

surfshibby07
surfshibby07 New Reader
7/30/19 10:11 a.m.

In reply to SVreX :

yea the wheels on the parts car i got were staggered saleen wheels. 17x10.5 in the rear and the wheels i want to use and trade them for are 17x9.5 all around. i wanted a square set up vs staggered. 

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
7/30/19 10:37 a.m.

In reply to surfshibby07 :

Sounds fair

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yJVpCSUPBq9AiGGlZ08RlGU4zigC2L7pKGkM0TdFHkEZ6Z7RsWwwsokm4iAMk6uo