stroker
stroker UberDork
7/29/20 7:43 a.m.

Has anyone ever competed at The Challenge with something diesel powered...?  

ckosacranoid
ckosacranoid SuperDork
8/18/20 3:55 p.m.

Not that I know of and I can remember some weird stuff that has been run.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
8/21/20 12:50 a.m.

I think years ago GRM did an article about someone that was getting north of 400ftlbs out of a VW of some sort. That could be fun. 

Wonder what you could make this do. 

https://providence.craigslist.org/cto/d/foster-2006-vw-jetta-tdi-5-speed/7166520654.html

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
8/22/20 6:22 p.m.

I'd say not likely.  I did a quick scan of my spreadsheet, and the most likely candidate was a Peugeot 505 in 2004. Checked the magazine, and mentions it had a turbo engine from a wagon.  I believe they did have a turbodiesel option, but based on the quarter mile time (in the 16's), I am guessing it was a gas engine.  There have been a bunch of Jettas entered, too, but they appear to have all been A2 and A3, which IIRC, was not a highwater mark for diesel VW sales in the US, if they were even available here then.

I would think an old Mercedes would be nice entry, especially if it is being driven to the event.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
9/4/20 1:09 p.m.

Good question but I cannot recall one. 

Catch22
Catch22 New Reader
9/7/20 1:28 p.m.
dean1484 said:

I think years ago GRM did an article about someone that was getting north of 400ftlbs out of a VW of some sort. That could be fun. 

Wonder what you could make this do. 

https://providence.craigslist.org/cto/d/foster-2006-vw-jetta-tdi-5-speed/7166520654.html

That was a TDI new beetle that was owned by a friend of mine, at that time.  Your torque number from memory is very close to exact.  It was a pretty quick auto-x car but, from memory, would get hot and go into limp mode after some hard runs.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
hrC1GCU53pFm2KxZ6i4OMr7jDDCmF9TyCg57IhAwJoo4GpvMuRweXmXfiWuZj3vm