1 2
Somebeach (Forum Supporter)
Somebeach (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
2/7/21 8:45 p.m.

I was googling scca rollover ratio, unrelated to the challenge and came across  a old thread regarding a mini-van sub class on here. In the thread it never said what the ruling was if vans and minivans were allowed. 

What happened with that? We're vans allowed?

for future events are you good as long as your height is less than track width? 

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) MegaDork
2/7/21 8:48 p.m.

1:1 ratio.  I remember the soccer mom class working hard to get minivans to meet it.

slowbird
slowbird UltraDork
2/7/21 10:31 p.m.

vans plus really wide tires and box flares, sounds like a good idea to me! devil

barefootskater (Shaun)
barefootskater (Shaun) UberDork
2/8/21 10:57 a.m.

If I ever get to Florida again with a project other than the Funderbird, I'd like to do it in a dajiban. For reasons. 

2/8/21 11:35 a.m.

For some reason my mind went here: 

I am sure would be a great turning radius for autocross challenge. 

classicJackets (FS)
classicJackets (FS) Dork
2/8/21 11:42 a.m.
Somebeach (Forum Supporter) said:

For some reason my mind went here: 

I am sure would be a great turning radius for autocross challenge. 

Chop it down to 2-dopr tahoe size?? Take at least a few feet out of it, lol

03Panther
03Panther SuperDork
2/8/21 12:52 p.m.

Slightly dumb question, but is the height measured from the ground up, or center af axle up, or...

ie would a lowered Astro van fit in the radwood class?

i don’t have any measurements to start with, but I’m sure it’s been thought of here!!

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
2/8/21 1:45 p.m.

In reply to 03Panther :

I think it would fit the class. 

I also think the ratio is overall height (from ground, even including any roof racks and such) vs average TRACK WIDTH. Remember that track width is from center of tire to center of tire. Take the front measurement and average it with the rear measurement. 

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) MegaDork
2/8/21 2:47 p.m.

No cheating by having an open car either.  Tom told me that he would measure to the top of my head as the height on an open vehicle.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
2/8/21 3:30 p.m.

I think its SCCA style.  Height is from the ground.  Track width is center of wheel to center of wheel. 

Note that wider wheels do not necessarily mean more track width.

An Astro Van would take a lot of work (a miracle even?) to get to comply.

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) MegaDork
2/8/21 5:27 p.m.

Stock height 75 inches

Track 65.1 inches

Ride height 7.1 inches

That's a lot to make up.  Figure 4 inch drop.  Stock tire is 27.7 inches tall.  Go to 23 inch tires to gain 2.35 inches.  Put 2 inch spacers on each wheel for a final heighs of 68.65 and final track of 69.1.  That's damn close and if you do weight reduction you'll need to measure to make sure you don't raise too high.

barefootskater (Shaun)
2/9/21 11:07 a.m.
Stampie (FS) said:

Stock height 75 inches

Track 65.1 inches

Ride height 7.1 inches

That's a lot to make up.  Figure 4 inch drop.  Stock tire is 27.7 inches tall.  Go to 23 inch tires to gain 2.35 inches.  Put 2 inch spacers on each wheel for a final heighs of 68.65 and final track of 69.1.  That's damn close and if you do weight reduction you'll need to measure to make sure you don't raise too high.

Chop the roof. Chop top Astro would be rad. Bonus points if you can keep the sliding door functional.  350 bolts up easy-ish. Melt the spiders together and find some real gears... this is a fun distraction. 

*edit. MID ENGINE ASTRO!

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) MegaDork
2/9/21 12:46 p.m.

In reply to barefootskater (Shaun) :

Those are steps I avoided because they tend to lead to cool cars that never make the Challenge.  

barefootskater (Shaun)
2/9/21 1:01 p.m.

In reply to Stampie (FS) :

Stampie, that's a defeatist attitude. I believe in you. 

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) MegaDork
2/9/21 4:15 p.m.

In reply to barefootskater (Shaun) :

LOL I was just thinking today that I suck because I haven't been able to get my car to the Challenge the last two years.

03Panther
03Panther SuperDork
2/9/21 10:12 p.m.
Stampie (FS) said:

Stock height 75 inches

Track 65.1 inches

Ride height 7.1 inches

Not hapening on my (lack of) budget. But just bench racing, a 4'' suspension drop is not out of bounds for a astro. 1'' to 2'' wheel spacers on all 4 corners is easy as well, and I assume they do count for a wider track width? If anyone wanted to play with 'em, I do have an AWD and a RWD available. With no experence at all myself, would the AWD help in auto-X at all?

Kinda far afield form OP, but he did at least mentioned Vans! LOL.

03Panther
03Panther SuperDork
2/9/21 10:18 p.m.
barefootskater (Shaun) said:

Chop the roof. Chop top Astro would be rad. Bonus points if you can keep the sliding door functional.  350 bolts up easy-ish. Melt the spiders together and find some real gears... this is a fun distraction.

*edit. MID ENGINE ASTRO!

Bring me the Funderbird... we'll pull the driveline and you can drive the 99 RWD home, towing the AWD. I've got some other stuff I could throw in as well, just to see ya bring a chop top astro to the Challenge!.

Use the AWD van/engine to drive the front axle. Use the RWD engine to drive the rear.. TWIN engine Chop Top Astro!

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
2/11/21 8:23 a.m.

Wheel spacers are definitely your friends.  When I was planning on bringing a lowered S10, it looked like it would still need 2" wheel spacers all around, plus an antenna removal to fit the rules.  Admittedly, I suspect it looked right enough without them that I might have gotten by without it being questioned.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
2/11/21 3:21 p.m.
Somebeach (Forum Supporter) said:

I was googling scca rollover ratio, unrelated to the challenge and came across  a old thread regarding a mini-van sub class on here. In the thread it never said what the ruling was if vans and minivans were allowed. 

What happened with that? We're vans allowed?

for future events are you good as long as your height is less than track width? 

Very specifically, the week before the event, all of the minivans were contacted directly by the staff and had to supply an answer to the direct question of how we would achieve the 1:1.  

For me, 2" wheel spacers on all 4 wheels then race rubber that is 2.6" shorter diameter than stock dropping the car 1.3" made me legal by .7“

2/12/21 4:55 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

Nice, it actually looks kinda sporty. 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
2/12/21 5:07 p.m.
2/12/21 7:23 p.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

Wow. Interesting to read through that thread some too. What is the height vs track width on a fiesta? 

vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
2/14/21 1:15 p.m.

My Safari is dropped 4 inches in back, no roof rack, still need to drop front. Wheels are 17x 9.5 saw blades rear, 8.5 front with spacers (two inch I think. Can't remember). It was supposed to be in the soccer mom challenge sub class but never made it. I stopped counting funds. I'm probably over budget now. Oh yeah, SBC ftw! Would need sway bars I think.

vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
2/14/21 1:34 p.m.

Any wider and flares will be necessary. Does not hit right now.

noddaz
noddaz UltraDork
2/14/21 2:47 p.m.
ProDarwin said:

I think its SCCA style.  Height is from the ground.  Track width is center of wheel to center of wheel. 

Note that wider wheels do not necessarily mean more track width.

An Astro Van would take a lot of work (a miracle even?) to get to comply.

Who is going to accept this Challenge challenge?

And no, not me.  I do not have the talent for this Challenge challenge.  But I would like to be involved!

Scott

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xjquK73W9fo7lre9aXeYCRkFcgSYyoWMZKqKPQQNZRs5M6HwS0A3gKxTodjVmmxd