1 2
volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse SuperDork
12/12/16 8:44 a.m.

I almost feel like there should be a thread just for people to post Craigslist cheap 'Yatas.

NEW TOP, RED, 1990

RUNS LIKE NEW, ONE NATION!

NEW TOP, LOW MILES, RED RED RED!

cmcgregor
cmcgregor HalfDork
12/12/16 9:57 a.m.

Hm. 2 of those are cheaper than the one I'm selling. Mine is definitely better though.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
12/12/16 10:37 a.m.
cmcgregor wrote: Hm. 2 of those are cheaper than the one I'm selling. Mine is definitely better though.

It's funny how that works

cmcgregor
cmcgregor HalfDork
12/12/16 10:39 a.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner:

One would think that would be self-evident, but the sub-2k Miata market has cars that seem to be scattered randomly over the good deal to pile of crap spectrum. As you are quite aware I'm sure

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
12/12/16 11:50 a.m.

Actually, I don't deal with the sub-2k Miata market at all. That's not what our customers build from and it's not a market we pursue very aggressively. The "why does your part cost so much, I only paid $x for the car!" question gets old pretty quickly.

But that variation in value is the sort of thing you see with any vehicle below a certain price point. Any noise in the pricing becomes significant. On a $15k car, a $500 variation in pricing isn't that big of a deal. On a $1500 car, it is.

cmcgregor
cmcgregor HalfDork
12/12/16 12:12 p.m.

I'm one of your customers. I suppose an atypical one. I'm more surprised at the range of quality of cars at any given asking price - for 2k, you can find decent cars that are maybe not the most attractive, or rusty automatics with highly questionable "mods".

You're right that any price variation becomes much more significant when the price is low. Maybe there's a correlation between price point and general delusion of the seller.

Anyway, I guess I was just happy to see that I'm not completely crazy trying to get 2k for mine. Though now we've bumped this thread a bunch, while mine falls down the page!

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
12/12/16 12:23 p.m.

Oh, we have customers with $2k Miatas. They're just not a high proportion of our customers. And neither I nor FM buy cars in that price range, so that's why I'm not that familiar with the market for the cars themselves. That's what I meant when I said I didn't deal with the sub-$2k Miata market, I don't buy or sell those cars.

jackwagon
jackwagon New Reader
12/12/16 12:31 p.m.

There's something funky going on with that last ad. European fender side markers. European tags on the Miata and the Mercedes behind it, and the photo's background definitely doesn't look like Baltimore.

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
12/12/16 12:35 p.m.

In reply to jackwagon:

And the "+1" before the phone number makes me question where the seller is located. Probably not Baltimore, Md, USA.

paulmpetrun
paulmpetrun Reader
12/12/16 2:39 p.m.

And miata 2 & 3 have the same phone number... Might actually be interested in #2 if it's real. Gonna call just for S's & G's! Will report back.
Paul

Cooter
Cooter Reader
12/12/16 5:37 p.m.

I doubt the last two are real, from the wording, photos, and phone number.

patgizz
patgizz UltimaDork
12/12/16 9:04 p.m.
Cooter wrote: I doubt the last two are real, from the wording, photos, and phone number.

And the whole "looks and runs like new" because last time I checked red miatas came with flat black hoods when new

captdownshift
captdownshift PowerDork
12/12/16 9:27 p.m.

In reply to dculberson:

They could be in the importing and exporting business, you know because Baltimore

volvoclearinghouse
12/13/16 8:00 a.m.

1 is about 10 minutes from my house. I have driven by it and it appears tempting. The headlights are stuck in the popped up position, but the rust in the back he mentions in the ad doesn't appear very bad.

volvoclearinghouse
12/13/16 8:00 a.m.

Why did my text format like that?

penultimeta
penultimeta Reader
12/13/16 8:44 a.m.

The market seems to vary wildly for miatas at any price point. I've seen 5k NB2 one owner beauties listed alongside 5k poorly modded and rusted POSs all the time.

kazoospec
kazoospec SuperDork
12/13/16 11:34 a.m.
volvoclearinghouse wrote: #1 is about 10 minutes from my house. I have driven by it and it appears tempting. The headlights are stuck in the popped up position, but the rust in the back he mentions in the ad doesn't appear very bad.

If you can see it, its already too late.

volvoclearinghouse
12/13/16 12:37 p.m.
kazoospec wrote:
volvoclearinghouse wrote: #1 is about 10 minutes from my house. I have driven by it and it appears tempting. The headlights are stuck in the popped up position, but the rust in the back he mentions in the ad doesn't appear very bad.

For what? For the car to be saved? Sure, it'll never be a time capsule, but you could cut out the old material, patch in a new panel, and drive the car for another dozen or so years before anything else becomes a problem, assuming one avoids salt. That's a lot of cheap, fun motoring.

My daily driver has much, much worse rust on it. Like, visible holes in the bodywork.

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 Reader
12/13/16 1:10 p.m.

Dang, cheap miata is appealing seeing as how mine is falling apart on me. Have to wait till the truck is paid off though.

kazoospec
kazoospec SuperDork
12/13/16 8:17 p.m.
volvoclearinghouse wrote:
kazoospec wrote:
For what? For the car to be saved? Sure, it'll never be a time capsule, but you could cut out the old material, patch in a new panel, and drive the car for another dozen or so years before anything else becomes a problem, assuming one avoids salt. That's a lot of cheap, fun motoring. My daily driver has much, much worse rust on it. Like, visible holes in the bodywork.

Trust me, I know it CAN be saved. My 94 was way worse when I bought it. If I had it to do over again I'd spend the extra grand (or less) to get an equivalent clean example. My point is the rust goes inside out on Miata quarters, so if you can see it from the outside, it's pretty far advanced, that's all.

johndej
johndej Reader
12/15/16 1:07 p.m.

http://baltimore.craigslist.org/cto/5919520606.html $1600 with hardtop and rust included

cmcgregor
cmcgregor HalfDork
12/15/16 1:16 p.m.

In reply to johndej:

That's a deal

RedGT
RedGT HalfDork
12/15/16 2:00 p.m.

Yep that black one is a good one. if I didn't have my POS rallyx Miata already, I'd be on my way to buy it.

• Torsen
  • Hardtop
  • Rust still repairable
  • Paint still looks respectable and black makes that rust repair easier on the eyes.
AWSX1686
AWSX1686 Reader
12/16/16 8:05 a.m.

Yup. That black one is a very nice deal. Very nice. I really should go get it, or should I?

Furious_E
Furious_E Dork
12/16/16 8:40 a.m.

In reply to AWSX1686:

Do it so I'm not tempted . That thing is too close for comfort.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
L7o9NvhGacgPSJEw4QfWBNx9c8PK0dOoSGPAhhYJntuCb8omeiq1hfVNOT8g9i6U