wheels777
wheels777 SuperDork
6/20/19 12:03 p.m.

I just wanted to brag up Calvin‘s successful efforts to  obtain his NHRA license. He was able to finish all of his runs on Father’s Day, and I had the privilege to sign the paperwork. And I’m bubbling over with joy and pride in being able to share this exciting news.

Stampie
Stampie PowerDork
6/20/19 12:44 p.m.

Congrats. Call you explain the requirements and restrictions for those of us not as NHRA orientated?

wheels777
wheels777 SuperDork
6/20/19 1:09 p.m.

You can not legally run quicker than a 10.00 seconds in the quarter mile or 6.40 seconds in the 1/8 mile without a competition license.  

What makes this particularly exciting is the challenges that were hurdled to get it. Calvin had the fight thru some set backs and did it with determination!

wheels777
wheels777 SuperDork
6/20/19 1:09 p.m.

He has gone as quick as 9.59 at 143.77 so far

tackla
tackla New Reader
6/20/19 1:24 p.m.

Congrats!  

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo Mod Squad
6/21/19 12:54 a.m.

In reply to wheels777 :

Is there a timeframe you have to do it in, once you start?

Also, awesome job!  Congrats to Calvin!

wheels777
wheels777 SuperDork
6/21/19 3:55 a.m.

The process is relatively easy. Applicant has to make (2) half track runs, (2) 3/4 pass runs and (2) all out runs. The runs have to be witnessed by (2) licensed drivers and the track owner. Also there is a blindfold test and an exit test. Any errors will nullify the test. The greater challenge is the logistics; getting to a track where all parties are available and getting all the runs in. Unfortunately for us, we had part failures, rain outs and other hurdles along the way. We have been trying to get this done since the mid part of last year. We are pressed to get it done in this year because we are going to Drag Week. 

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman SuperDork
6/21/19 6:16 a.m.

Congratulations, turning into quite the fast family. 

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo Mod Squad
6/21/19 8:38 a.m.
wheels777 said:

The process is relatively easy. […] The {great} challenge is the logistics; getting to a track where all parties are available and getting all the runs in. Unfortunately for us, we had part failures, rain outs and other hurdles along the way. We have been trying to get this done since the mid part of last year. We are pressed to get it done in this year because we are going to Drag Week. 

Cool, thanks for that... actually gives some context for the wheelstand too, eh?

It’ll be enjoyable to have people to keep an eye on through the live-streams of DW next year.  Thanks for being a DragRacing ambassador of sorts on the forum.

Congrats again

wheels777
wheels777 SuperDork
6/22/19 3:41 a.m.
sleepyhead the buffalo said:
wheels777 said:

The process is relatively easy. […] The {great} challenge is the logistics; getting to a track where all parties are available and getting all the runs in. Unfortunately for us, we had part failures, rain outs and other hurdles along the way. We have been trying to get this done since the mid part of last year. We are pressed to get it done in this year because we are going to Drag Week. 

Cool, thanks for that... actually gives some context for the wheelstand too, eh?

It’ll be enjoyable to have people to keep an eye on through the live-streams of DW next year.  Thanks for being a DragRacing ambassador of sorts on the forum.

Congrats again

The wheel stand was yours truly. We had the No Prep setup and the Prep tune up on a sticky track. Fuzzy did all his testing in Crapmaro. 

There will be a bunch of GRM’ers at Drag week this year. I know Pat C., Rob, Matt, Calvin and I are running. I think there are a few more. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
6/23/19 7:42 p.m.

I looked up for myself and decided to share the schedule here for others too. 

Sadly, not coming to my neighborhood this year but I'll be sure to follow y'all online. Good luck and here's to a good time! 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
6/23/19 7:52 p.m.

Wow, Drag Week is really centered around your part of the country this year! 

​​​​​

wheels777
wheels777 SuperDork
6/24/19 5:55 a.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

Yes it is.  We originally planned to go to Drag Week in 2020.  But this is our back yard.  My Mom is 20 minutes from Cecil.  MMy brother is 25 minutes from MIR.  Matt offered to house us on Tuesday night near Atco.  Friends and family who have not had a chance to see us race plan to be at Cecil. 

Those from the board who are in DW include:

*  Rob McCall (Board regular)

*  Matt Wojtkowiak (GRM Challenger)

*  Pat Culkin (2 time Challenge winner)

*  Calvin and I (13 time Challenge participants)

If anyone knows any body who is going and not listed please let me know. 

wheels777
wheels777 SuperDork
6/24/19 5:59 a.m.
Andy Neuman said:

Congratulations, turning into quite the fast family. 

For those who are enjoying our inner family competition.  Calvin finished out 2018 with a lead in the fastest in the 1/4 - Calvin 142.66, Dear ole Dad 141.25.  In 2019 we are 143.77 for Fuzzy and yours truly is 144.30.  We should see 150's soon.   

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
JWmSLJgSypwopbKi6HoBmW3tGuzpGsjfoLqQbwiJIKDBjnSTeCesdItzyWzlrIxj