1 2
Byrneon27
Byrneon27 Reader
1/12/23 9:16 a.m.

Was it free? Did YOU or any member of your team actively pull any strings to make it so?

I love y'all but you make this harder than it has to be too often

Toyman!
Toyman! MegaDork
1/12/23 9:33 a.m.

I'm not sure what's hard about this. All the information is posted above. It was free. I pulled no strings. But it wasn't a widely advertised item.

This is about not stepping on anyone's toes. This deal is probably borderline and I'm willing to let the group decide which side of the border it belongs and determine a fair market value per the rules.

All fair market values used must be proved in your build book with supporting documentation. Ways to prove fair market value include:

• Copies of corporate listings of similar items for sale.

• Copies of at least three comparable listings from a peer-to-peer selling website (eBay, Facebook Marketplace, Craigslist, etc.)

• A copy of a GRM message board thread where at least 5 users with more than 50 posts have agreed with a proposed fair market value for your item.

At present in this thread, we have 7 people who say free and 3 that say $265, which is what the junk yards offered. After this thread dies, I'll pick one and go from there. 

Byrneon27
Byrneon27 Reader
1/12/23 11:58 a.m.

Again many people make the challenge harder than it has to be... 

The car is free. You paid zero dollars. You influenced nothing. The car was legitimately free for the taking. You did the taking the car is free. People not knowing what they have, not being aware of the methods of which they can dispose of things they no longer want, and/or many people having lives well outside the GRMsphere and not really caring about $250 over an eyesore being in their yard/lacking the desire to deal with stuff does not warrant an FMV calculation, your being in the right place at the right time IS NOT a problem with the challenge rules but in fact what the event is based around. 

FMV rules are to stop people from for instance taking a K24A2 out of their pile and claiming it as free because there was zero direct cash outlay. 

Hell make a Mazda3 fast enough that anybody cares about your budget I'll give ya $265 

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
1/12/23 12:24 p.m.

In reply to Toyman! :

To be clear I'm good either way. So 7.5 for free and 2.5 for $265. 

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
1/12/23 12:37 p.m.

Free freee freeeee I say the car qualifies as free!

dyintorace
dyintorace PowerDork
1/12/23 5:31 p.m.

I have to once again reiterate my opinion that this is a free car. In no way is this an insider deal. And I say that as a multi-time Challenge competitor. 

classicJackets (FS)
classicJackets (FS) SuperDork
1/12/23 5:36 p.m.

Yeah, sounds free to me 

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte UltraDork
1/12/23 7:40 p.m.

Sounds like free to me,same thing as hauling off an unwanted sofa in my opinion.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gyrHTF6dhNPJgC4j4rzA1BYOU1vp2YCIqUdW5Ag2gzNqVV5O5Y7fJfPOCNIFN2uP