Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy PowerDork
4/16/22 12:50 p.m.
frenchyd said:
gumby said:
frenchyd said:

PS if you're too generous I'll gladly sell it to you 

Nobody skipped reading anything

So far none of the offers have been too generous.    

What number do you need to have for the XKE rear suspension assembly?

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
4/16/22 12:57 p.m.
Robbie (Forum Supporter) said:

Frenchyd!

You backpedal louder than a schoolbus!

Frenchyd "These parts are junk junk they aren't worth anything, can everyone agree so my dream challenge build can be awesome?"

Multiple of the cheapest bastards on the internet "no wait if you think that's worthless I'm coming from a long way away to get it. I'll even pay you more than you say it's worth."

Frenchyd "Are you crazy I'm not selling for that little! I know what it is! Knowledge is power!"

Beeep beeep beeep beeep.

Is this the for sale site?  
    And if someone has a difference in the value. Again I'm going the undocumented route. 
  The whole  purpose of a  $2000 limit is to limit the money spent on go faster parts. Not to argue the value of tailites 

You know how cheap you can buy Jaguar parts when you buy a whole car. 

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
4/16/22 12:58 p.m.
Indy - Guy said:
frenchyd said:
gumby said:
frenchyd said:

Make me an offer. 

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy PowerDork
4/16/22 1:18 p.m.
frenchyd said:
Indy - Guy said:
frenchyd said:
gumby said:
frenchyd said:

Make me an offer. 

You're the guy who suggested using an XKE rear end in my TR4.  Do you remember posting this April 18th, 2020?

Here's a link to my build thread

Do you want to sell it or not ?

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
4/16/22 1:25 p.m.

Make me an offer I can't refuse. But before you get too generous  start looking for cheap  Jaguars on Craigslist and Facebook 

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
4/16/22 3:24 p.m.
frenchyd said:
SV reX said:

In reply to frenchyd :

The rules say if production frame rails are used it is legal. The car was a shortened P71 chassis (if I remember correctly). 

A full tube frame would be an exception. 

I refer to the 3rd paragraph of the eligibility rule. If tube frame is used Body must be substantially similar. 

Frenchyd, you may have won this round. 

I looked harder at that paragraph in the rules. I thought I was very familiar with it (and so did Stampie and others). After re-reading it several times, I think you are right. A fiberglass body on a tube frame appears to me to meet that rule completely. 

I would definitely double check and get approval from Tom before assuming. 

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy PowerDork
4/16/22 3:58 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

These are listed on e-Bay right now.  Use these for your fair market value:

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
4/16/22 4:16 p.m.

In reply to Indy - Guy :

Wow.  That is insane.  But if you want to pay me that much you can come right over, bring cash. 
    I'll use a sedan rear end. 

Oh and I'll repeat.  I'm entering non documented.  

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy PowerDork
4/16/22 4:25 p.m.
frenchyd said:

In reply to Indy - Guy :

Wow.  That is insane...  ... ...

Yes.

Your "these parts are just junk" is WAY out of line with reality.

They might've been just junk years ago, but now, they bring REAL money.  Way more than scrap.

I want you to use your left over parts to build the fiberglass body XKE, I really and truly do.

Are you still in contact with any of the guys you bought one of your " $300 parts Jags " from?  If you are, get a hold of them and have them sign a receipt for the car they sold you.  Boom you are legal to use the parts off that car for the claimed $300.  You can self trade equivalent parts so you should be good, if they are all similar.  So what you bought them 10 or 15 years ago, the Nelson (who you keep refering too) hold onto their good buys for that long too.

No matter what, just build the car.  Build it your way. 

As you already know, that will be a much better use of the parts than your heirs  TRULY selling them for scrap after you pass.

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
4/16/22 4:28 p.m.
SV reX said:
frenchyd said:
SV reX said:

In reply to frenchyd :

The rules say if production frame rails are used it is legal. The car was a shortened P71 chassis (if I remember correctly). 

A full tube frame would be an exception. 

I refer to the 3rd paragraph of the eligibility rule. If tube frame is used Body must be substantially similar. 

Frenchyd, you may have won this round. 

I looked harder at that paragraph in the rules. I thought I was very familiar with it (and so did Stampie and others). After re-reading it several times, I think you are right. A fiberglass body on a tube frame appears to me to meet that rule completely. 

I would definitely double check and get approval from Tom before assuming. 

Well if I had an actual XKE frame.  As the factory made it.  It's a tube frame.   ( and only weighs 22 pounds) 

Yep.  It's not welded. It's brazed.  Plus it's actual been crash tested to meet US safety rules. ( and yes it passed ). 

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
4/16/22 4:43 p.m.
Indy - Guy said:
frenchyd said:

In reply to Indy - Guy :

Wow.  That is insane...  ... ...

Yes.

Your "these parts are just junk" is WAY out of line with reality.

They might've been just junk years ago, but now, they bring REAL money.  Way more than scrap.

I want you to use your left over parts to build the fiberglass body XKE, I really and truly do.

Are you still in contact with any of the guys you bought one of your " $300 parts Jags " from?  If you are, get a hold of them and have them sign a receipt for the car they sold you.  Boom you are legal to use the parts off that car for the claimed $300.  You can self trade equivalent parts so you should be good, if they are all similar.  So what you bought them 10 or 15 years ago, the Nelson (who you keep refering too) hold onto their good buys for that long too.

No matter what, just build the car.  Build it your way. 

As you already know, that will be a much better use of the parts than your heirs  TRULY selling them for scrap after you pass.

Thanks I will build it. It's just going to be a fun thing. I can't believe people are asking ( and getting? ) those prices for stuff I thought was junk.  
 However to be fair that stuff is at least 30 years old.  

Let me ask a question.  If I use those parts and put on a set of wire wheels ( I've got a line on a used set the owner just wants to get rid of). Is that Ok or will I get grief if I show up to the Challenge? 

NY Nick
NY Nick Dork
4/16/22 4:46 p.m.

Do you think the Suddards look at threads like this and think I built utopia for you and this is how it's treated?

Just saying. 5 pages of total bull E36 M3. 

NOT A TA
NOT A TA UltraDork
4/16/22 5:10 p.m.

Frenchy, build the car you're working on. Don't get distracted and waste your time (and others) thinking about, and starting threads about, a fantasy future build. If you finish the current car and start vintage racing it, do you honestly think you'll have enough extra spare time and money to build a scratch built, tube frame car, with a custom fiberglass body AND go to the Challenge in FL? It'll cost almost a challenge budget each weekend you go race the car you're building.  And if you do end up with the time and money for the fantasy build, why on earth would you want to bother trying to build it as a challenge car?

yupididit
yupididit PowerDork
4/16/22 5:16 p.m.
Indy - Guy said:

In reply to frenchyd :

These are listed on e-Bay right now.  Use these for your fair market value:

Given the price of XKE's that look like they sat at the bottom of the ocean, looks right in line. 

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
4/16/22 5:19 p.m.

In reply to NOT A TA :

I've said this before many times.  I have all this stuff in the shop.  If I don't use it, it will go in the dumpster after my passing.  
   I like building.  It's cheaper by far than racing.   Not that I don't want to race.  
    Just so you understand.  I can build the frame and center part ( Monique ) of an XKE for a few hundred dollars.   Yes I go to the scrap metal places for material. But that's all. As for the fiberglass part. Well, I'll probably need some fresh resin, maybe a gallon.  I've got 5 gallons but it's pretty old and I'll save that for the molds.   Gel coat, maybe 2 pints or so. 
  See I've got rolls and rolls of fiberglass from my trailer building time. Plus lots of unopened other stuff ( PVA, Hardener, Gel coat. acetone, resin etc). 
plus I have all those mechanical bits in the pictures.   So cost?    Just time.  According to actuarial tables I've got 14 years. Maybe some more if I stay active and interested. 
    I plan things ahead.  My house?  I was dreaming of that when safely back aboard the ship during Vietnam.   I didn't get started until 1998 and I'm still working on it although the list is getting shorter. 
  I planned for over 5 years about this Jaguar  XJS ( read my progress reports.).   
I hope to be ready by October  and then it's all winter to work on the next one. 

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
4/16/22 6:35 p.m.

To clarify. The substantially similar rule has been defined by Tom to mean the original body not a fiberglass copy. For example on the Bradley GT some came from the factory turnkey. I argued that meant I could put a tube frame under the Bradley GT body. Tom ruled that I would have to prove that my exact body number was sold as a turn key.

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
4/16/22 6:43 p.m.

Ok rules quote.

Any four-wheeled, production-based vehicle that was originally sold as a passenger vehicle is allowed.

Vehicles may either retain production frame rails or equivalent unibody structures, or they may use a tubular frame provided they retain the production body.

If the vehicle uses a tubular frame, then modification of production exterior bodywork is only allowed provided the end result is substantially similar in general appearance to the original vehicle. Sweet box flares are specifically allowed.

Paragraph one is the fiberglass home made body originally sold as a production passenger vehicle.  No hard stop.

Paragraph two is the tube frame being built going to retain the production body? No hard stop.

Paragraph three is production exterior bodywork going to get a modification? Oh this gets tricky. Let's go to the dictionary.

modification

noun

uk /ˌmɒd.ɪ.fɪˈkeɪ.ʃən/ us /ˌmɑː.də.fəˈkeɪ.ʃən/

modification noun (CHANGE)

C1 [ C or U ]

a change to something, usually to improve it:

Is the production body only being changed or completely replaced?  No hard stop.

My two cents.

Edited to reflect the exact words used in the rules for the dictionary quote.

johndej
johndej Dork
4/16/22 7:02 p.m.

Forget about the challenge, just build this to go racing and get on with it. Don't waste the build if 90% of the goal is to run it on w2w racing. Document the cost and run exhibition if by the off chance someone drags it down to FL.

As for fair market value, ask a junkyard what they'd charge if you pulled the parts.

NOT A TA
NOT A TA UltraDork
4/16/22 7:24 p.m.
frenchyd said:

In reply to NOT A TA :

I've said this before many times.  I have all this stuff in the shop.  If I don't use it, it will go in the dumpster after my passing.  
   I like building.  It's cheaper by far than racing.   Not that I don't want to race.  

Sell the stuff, you're already past your prime with a big current project. We don't live forever and the older we get the less productive we are. We all want to see you finish the current car, go work on it! Spend your free time during the workweek listing your "Jaguar Junk" for sale to help fund the necessary stuff that you'll need to race the current car that's beyond the challenge budget scope.

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
4/16/22 8:12 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

Arguing this is completely unnecessary.  Let it go.

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
4/16/22 8:27 p.m.
Stampie said:

Ok rules quote.

Any four-wheeled, production-based vehicle that was originally sold as a passenger vehicle is allowed.

Vehicles may either retain production frame rails or equivalent unibody structures, or they may use a tubular frame provided they retain the production body.

If the vehicle uses a tubular frame, then modification of production exterior bodywork is only allowed provided the end result is substantially similar in general appearance to the original vehicle. Sweet box flares are specifically allowed.

Paragraph one is the fiberglass home made body originally sold as a production passenger vehicle.  No hard stop.

Paragraph two is the tube frame being built going to retain the production body? No hard stop.

Paragraph three is production exterior bodywork going to get a modification? Oh this gets tricky. Let's go to the dictionary.

modification

noun

uk /ˌmɒd.ɪ.fɪˈkeɪ.ʃən/ us /ˌmɑː.də.fəˈkeɪ.ʃən/

modification noun (CHANGE)

C1 [ C or U ]

a change to something, usually to improve it:

Is the production body only being changed or completely replaced?  No hard stop.

My two cents.

Edited to reflect the exact words used in the rules for the dictionary quote.

Well I'll build it.  Post progress. We'll see. 

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
4/16/22 8:30 p.m.
NOT A TA said:
frenchyd said:

In reply to NOT A TA :

Sell the stuff, you're already past your prime with a big current project. We don't live forever and the older we get the less productive we are. We all want to see you finish the current car, go work on it! Spend your free time during the workweek listing your "Jaguar Junk" for sale to help fund the necessary stuff that you'll need to race the current car that's beyond the challenge budget scope.

I've got 14 years according to the actuarial tables maybe more if I stay active and involved.  
I'm not  ready for a rock' in  chair.  Besides I like to build cars, I've been doing it much of my life. 

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
4/16/22 10:51 p.m.
johndej said:

Forget about the challenge, just build this to go racing and get on with it. Don't waste the build if 90% of the goal is to run it on w2w racing. Document the cost and run exhibition if by the off chance someone drags it down to FL.

As for fair market value, ask a junkyard what they'd charge if you pulled the parts.

I'll do that and post progress.  Don't care if it doesn't meet some set of rules. 

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle UltraDork
4/17/22 7:43 a.m.

It's a weird guilty pleasure reading Frenchy discussions. You can count on Lots of repetition - and rarely will somebody change his mind. Not much gets accomplished in these discussions. 

But I do like that more and more people over the years have decided to stop trolling and started encouraging. I really want to see a completed car that runs and drives at this point. Will it be a pile of E36 M3 or will it be amazing? Who knows but after all the layers of the onion are peeled back - and assisted significantly by frenchy figuring out how to post pictures - the story continues to get more and more compelling. He may be the most misunderstood guy in the history of this place.

I still contend the life and history of Frenchy would make a really fascinating story for the magazine(s). Same for a lot of other members of this discussion board.

Keep going, frustrated school bus driving jaguar loving junk collecting blackjack special racing retirement savings losing hardwood lumber milling pickup truck abusing lakefront property appreciating salesman from Minnesota. 

yupididit
yupididit PowerDork
4/17/22 8:15 a.m.

In reply to OHSCrifle :

Don't forget veteran. I believe Navy + Vietnam 

3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mlzn2wc5HbkOSZ6cD3PWY5UVENApVDiZINBw5Pk3xa4F6TjzoFMzZ82OYXtAARUi