nocones
nocones UberDork
9/30/21 7:52 p.m.

I need a non structural transmission cover for the 2wd conversion.  It needs to be thicker then .063 aluminum which is the thickest I have.  It's expensive to buy a 6"*10" small chunk of ~1/8" aluminum and I have not cultivated a good relationship with my local scrap yard.  

You know what's not too expensive and ~1/8 thick.  Used worn out cast aluminum non stick pans.  

I happen to have one of those.  It's about 3 years old and was only $12 new.  It's a Farberware was real nice..  bought it at Target but it's now not non-sticking as good as it once did.  

I looked at Goodwill/Habitat and the going rate for serviceable pans of similar dimensions and quality was $1.99-$3.50.  They did not have any big enough so I'm planning to use mine and replace it.  

I'm asking for a FMV assessment of $2.50 for a worn 11X11 cast aluminum Griddle Pan.  It's also slightly warped in the middle.  

This may be the strangest FMV request ever.  This may of partially motivated my desire to use this over any other aluminum options.  

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
9/30/21 7:58 p.m.

$2 because wtf.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/30/21 8:06 p.m.
Ranger50 said:

$2 because wtf.

Also $2 because w.ant t.o f.ry

tb
tb Dork
9/30/21 8:25 p.m.

$2 sounds high just looking at that pic... but I will say whatever you decide works fine for me

Fwiw I just recently installed an old piece of Tupperware from my kitchen onto my challenge car and cannot be arsed to figure out if it actually has any real value.

Indy "Nub" Guy
Indy "Nub" Guy PowerDork
9/30/21 8:31 p.m.

In reply to nocones :

I have quite literally thrown worn out skillets like that in the trash.  I think $2 is too much.  I'd be ok with free.

matthewmcl
matthewmcl HalfDork
9/30/21 8:50 p.m.

I think you should make the handle into a hood ornament.

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
9/30/21 8:56 p.m.

$2

Or free if you use the handle as a hood ornament

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
9/30/21 9:03 p.m.

Scrap aluminum cost at worst. Looks like a stainless handle so I doubt you would even get full aluminum value out of it because of the mixed metals.

No Time
No Time SuperDork
9/30/21 9:06 p.m.
Antihero (Forum Supporter) said:

$2

Since the pan is going to be used as a transmission cover, maybe the handle should become a shifter?

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/30/21 9:14 p.m.
MrJoshua said:

Scrap aluminum cost at worst. Looks like a stainless handle so I doubt you would even get full aluminum value out of it because of the mixed metals.

I'm presuming scrap value is less than $2, which is what I feel it's worth, but I'll go along with $2 since that works for nocones. 

9/30/21 9:28 p.m.
No Time said:
Antihero (Forum Supporter) said:

$2

Since the pan is going to be used as a transmission cover, maybe the handle should become a shifter?

That sounds logical, but old broken frying pan FMV questions shouldn't involve logic.

Hood ornament is the only way

9/30/21 9:44 p.m.

Or.....or a dorsal fin on the roof.

It's the most ridiculous thing that's still PG that I can think of

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
9/30/21 9:47 p.m.

You have to use the handle, or the deal's off!

Not really, but it would be funny.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau UltraDork
10/1/21 6:41 a.m.

You could also just go buy one at Goodwill and use that reciept, because it would be hilarious to have a Goodwill receipt in your racecar budget.

That's free junk though. $2 is more than fair.

Patrick (Forum Supporter)
Patrick (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
10/1/21 6:52 a.m.

25 cents

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
10/1/21 7:16 a.m.

Having worked previously for habitat for humanity, I can tell you that if that was in the donation pile of central Maryland, it likely wouldn't have even gotten a $1 price tag and would've gone straight to the scrap bin (It's not that it wouldn't be useful It's that it's not worth the dollar to price it tag it put it on the floor and then eventually in 30 to 60 days remove it from the floor when it doesn't sell for a dollar) 

That being said, definitely use the handle for a shift knob as well. 

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
10/1/21 7:23 a.m.

Geez, why didn't you put this up last week? I could have given you a nice 12" Rachel Ray aluminum pan........a nice bright orange colour, too.

matthewmcl
matthewmcl HalfDork
10/1/21 7:25 a.m.

He already has an awesome shift handle that he made. Now, if there was a hand brake that needed a handle, that would go well, but this does not seem like the kind of car that will need a hand brake.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
10/1/21 7:34 a.m.

I'll trade you one for a taco bell beans and rice burrito. 

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
10/1/21 8:55 a.m.

Please replace it was a cast iron griddle. You'll cook so much better.

iansane
iansane HalfDork
10/1/21 9:46 a.m.

I'd be offended that you paid too much if you claimed that was $2.50.

bgkast
bgkast PowerDork
10/1/21 12:57 p.m.

$1 Bob

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XJCna9HbF0UohgGmkGnkO7gjH2sDlHVIK59v8tR3cWkXb15Kjrm1vd4WYzPPXPAn