1 2
QuasiMofo (John Brown) GRM Plush
QuasiMofo (John Brown) GRM Plush MegaDork
4/6/21 1:56 p.m.

Over the last two weeks almost every Mustang, LS engine and most every bit of fun crap has escalated in price! $800 cars a week ago are listed for $1800 and up! 

Has anyone else noticed this happening?

16vCorey
16vCorey PowerDork
4/6/21 3:25 p.m.

Absolutely.  There was a guy that had a larger turbo that would fit my daily posted for the last two or three months at $750 on marketplace, and feeling that the time was right to lowball him I was about to send him a message and that day he reposted it for $900.  Uh... That's not how selling E36 M3 works, buddy.  Haha.

No Time
No Time SuperDork
4/6/21 3:36 p.m.

It definitely seems real, and not limited to projects. I'm thinking of using it to my advantage and selling my Elantra, rather than keeping it for a spare vehicle. 

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
4/6/21 3:39 p.m.

I mean.... we sold a broken VW Fox for $2025....

wae
wae UberDork
4/6/21 3:45 p.m.

I need to get the motorcycles up for sale.  And maybe I should sell the motorhome....

16vCorey
16vCorey PowerDork
4/6/21 3:47 p.m.

Oh, and I just sold a 250k mile E46 4dr 5 speed for $2k without ever posting it for sale.  While that's not really an example of stimmy-tax, it's definitely a sellers market.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
4/6/21 3:49 p.m.

What with the pandemic and all I never did close a deal on the GT selling for 9k Cnd. When it goes on the market this year it will be 10k. Based on the building trades and the housing market, pandemics make people flush with $$$ and desperate to spend it.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/6/21 4:05 p.m.

So I guess I was wrong to offer my Sonoma to a coworker for $2500?

RevRico
RevRico UltimaDork
4/6/21 4:17 p.m.

For the past year, prices have been crazy on everything except whatever I'm trying to sell at the time

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
4/6/21 4:19 p.m.

We saw a very significant sales spike when the checks landed. Two days of absolute monster sales. If pricing follows demand, well, the demand was there.

One thing to note: there's a fairly big increase in material costs starting to show up. Expect prices on products to rise, and the more material they use the more they will rise. Our roll bars, for example, will be going up 10% next month strictly due to the cost of steel.

Indy "Nub" Guy
Indy "Nub" Guy PowerDork
4/6/21 4:46 p.m.
wae said:

........  And maybe I should sell the motorhome....

Tell me more,  I'm all ears.

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/6/21 5:13 p.m.
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:

From what I saw of your posts on here about it I'd say it's a $4500 truck. 

QuasiMofo (John Brown) GRM Plush
QuasiMofo (John Brown) GRM Plush MegaDork
4/6/21 5:48 p.m.

I'm need to put a subframe in the broken Pieceofsh!tica then. It's got a new engine. 

Imma retire!

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
4/6/21 5:59 p.m.

STIMUTACS!!!

HnnGHHHhhhh StImUtAcS!!!

wae
wae UberDork
4/6/21 6:35 p.m.
Indy "Nub" Guy said:
wae said:

........  And maybe I should sell the motorhome....

Tell me more,  I'm all ears.

'92 Itasca Suncruiser on a Chevy P30 chassis with a 454 and 4l80e.  30amp service, both rooftop ACs work.  A little delam on the side where I think the cooktop vent cover might have leaked at some point.  As far as I can tell, it's all sealed up now.  There was a leak in the windshield but I packed it with butyl rubber tape and that solved that problem.  Rear queen, 4,500w generator, 100gal fresh water tank, front left jack has a slight hydraulic leak, rear frame extensions have been reinforced for better towing capability.  All the appliances work great.  Pretty clean inside, could use a scrub outside.  I have no idea what a rig like that would go for on the open market but if I thought that prices would dip back down in a year or two, it might make sense to sell this one and re-buy after the market corrects itself.  Although, the market doesn't seem have shown any indications of doing that recently....

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) UberDork
4/6/21 6:45 p.m.

There is a loooooootttt of $1400 cars for sale recently.

Most these cars are worth any combination of 3 of those numbers but not all 4

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UberDork
4/6/21 7:38 p.m.

There was a mini-mill I was watching on FB Marketplace.  Was $1700, on the site for 8 months, I was going to offer $1250 and try to meet at $1500ish.  It disappeared, came back a week later for $2500.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/6/21 8:59 p.m.
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) said:
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:

From what I saw of your posts on here about it I'd say it's a $4500 truck. 

Sold to high bidder Pete Gossett at $4500!  berkeley my coworker!

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/6/21 9:24 p.m.

I was just commenting to nocones that I thought the challenge just got harder. 

maschinenbau
maschinenbau UltraDork
4/7/21 6:39 a.m.

In reply to Robbie (Forum Supporter) :

On the flip side, scrap is up almost double from last year, so recoup is easier. 

Mr. Peabody
Mr. Peabody UltimaDork
4/7/21 6:58 a.m.

This didn't just happen. I started the same thread a year ago, and somebody else started another one a few months later. As soon as people had spare time and spare money things went nuts

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
4/7/21 7:06 a.m.
wae said:

I need to get the motorcycles up for sale.  And maybe I should sell the motorhome....

Man, I dont know if its lasted, but about 11 months ago was the GOLD time to sell that. Saw a lot of stuff getting snapped up that was unsellable before then as people wanted remote living quarters or to use as a "driveway office" to get away from the kids to work from home. 

Indy "Nub" Guy
Indy "Nub" Guy PowerDork
4/7/21 7:15 a.m.

In reply to wae :

Sending you a PM.

You must not have seen my post looking to buy an RV

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
4/7/21 11:40 a.m.

In reply to maschinenbau :

Scrap has gone up enough that I'm almost getting as much for my parts car as what I paid for it and that's after pulling the engine, transmission, axles, subframes, hubs, control arms, trailing arms, ecu, mirrors, radio and some switches. 

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/7/21 12:21 p.m.
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to maschinenbau :

Scrap has gone up enough that I'm almost getting as much for my parts car as what I paid for it and that's after pulling the engine, transmission, axles, subframes, hubs, control arms, trailing arms, ecu, mirrors, radio and some switches. 

But this only benefits builds 'already in progress' since you bought the cars when scrap was low and are now selling high. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Pjq8OEYwhhXgIkA3fRHW67tcfixU9nZHzLOFtLlkfXcNOXPN3zKMiSNbEHdr6lH0