Toot
Toot New Reader
5/16/22 8:18 p.m.

Has anyone built and balanced a driveshaft before.  This is something I have always had done professionally.  I could use any advice or other options to keep cost low.

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
5/16/22 10:18 p.m.

I've done junkyard builds.  For example needing a 43 inch driveshaft I'll search Ebay for U:U to find the vehicle that has the correct length then add the yoke and flange I need for both ends.  Of course taking into account the yoke and flange length.  Make sense?

Toot
Toot New Reader
5/17/22 6:46 p.m.

Yes thank you

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
5/17/22 7:44 p.m.

In reply to Toot :

No problem.  I also use rock auto to make sure the U joint sizes line up.  On a 50% off day I can spend an hour and have a $15 custom driveshaft for the Challenge.

HotNotch
HotNotch New Reader
5/18/22 8:04 a.m.

Currently building a cheap-ish driveshaft for my LS Swapped T56 fox body

Probably only helpful to a few things but 2003 2wd Ford Rangers with the automatic and extended cab have a 4" diameter, .083 wall aluminum drive shaft with 1330 joints.  Pretty long too. 

As Stampie said, checking the U joint compatability via Rock Auto and looking at the yoke compatibility is pretty much the easiest way. 

Some salvage yards on Car-Part.com will list the length too.  Also, some models have new driveshafts listed on RockAuto with the length and other specs.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Lo8S1nzGslfwxkRZfSfInxtKtauMSFRWzhaKqLZKbGW5FT7ARD6IuSfCFTDNZiTu