1 2
Stampie
Stampie UltimaDork
11/29/19 8:02 a.m.
MrJoshua said:

The real question is can you put it together to build a competitive car for the overall? 

Put together is the hard part but compete for overall is always the goal.

In reply to SVreX :

You seem to be impling a half budget build can't beat all the $2000 builds.  I think it can.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
11/29/19 8:14 a.m.

In reply to Stampie :

No, I am saying that YOU have never won the overall with a half budget build, and I think I would be perfectly capable of beating you in both the $1000 build AND the overall with this build! cheeky

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy PowerDork
11/29/19 8:14 a.m.

In reply to SVreX :

You have a receipt for the car. If you use the car that is your budget hit.

FMV applies when there is No receipt.

That's my two pennies worth.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
11/29/19 8:19 a.m.

Guys, I appreciate the people who have tried to answer my question. 

The rules say FMV can be established by asking for input on the forum. 

I’m not here to debate the rules.  I am only seeking honest feedback for FMV. 

Stampie
Stampie UltimaDork
11/29/19 8:57 a.m.

In reply to SVreX :

I think some of us are saying FMV is what you paid two years ago. 

gumby
gumby Reader
11/29/19 9:12 a.m.
Indy-Guy said:

In reply to SVreX :

You have a receipt for the car. If you use the car that is your budget hit.

FMV applies when there is No receipt.

This^^^

If you are chasing the depreciation vs. what you paid for it, we need to hear what the purchase price was, how long ago, and condition then vs now. Some of this has been eluded to, but not laid out clearly for a reasonable judgement to be made.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
11/29/19 9:12 a.m.

In reply to Stampie :

Yep. Some have said that. 

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
11/29/19 9:13 a.m.

In reply to gumby :

I’m not chasing anything. It was a pretty straight forward question. Nothing hidden. 

...and all that info is in here. 

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
11/29/19 9:19 a.m.

FMV doesn’t really have anything to do with a previous purchase price. 

If the car is worth $2500, it’s worth $2500. If I paid $500 for it, I got a bargain. It’s still worth $2500. If I paid $6000 for it, I overpaid. It still is worth $2500. 

There don’t have to be any ulterior motives.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
11/29/19 10:45 a.m.
MrJoshua said:
Stampie said:

I have a problem with how FMV has been used lately.  While within the rules I think its become the easy way out. 

(lots of trading, using ebay pricing, and JY  pricing to zero out cars and parts)

Now I have the perfect $0 Challenge build with 30 minutes of Ebay reasearch.  Would you want to compete against that?

Respectfully,

Stampie

Yes-yes I would. You have masterfully used to rules to your advantage to give yourself a budget advantage over others who are not as good at it as you are. That is only one component. The real question is can you put it together to build a competitive car for the overall? 

Absolutely.  EDIT:  Absolutely to Stampie re wanting to compete against that.  Because (1) the current rules allow it and (2) I’m building MonZora to that same philosophy. 

Another edit:  when I FMV self-trade, I use the same source for both sides of the trade.  I don’t cherry-pick highest for what I’m taking out and lowest for what I’m putting in. If eBay, then completed auctions within 30-60 days, average of most similar items when possible.  If car-part.com, typically somewhere to the low side of the middle of the range because those are “asking” prices and don’t necessarily reflect selling prices. This rule *could be* abused, but until the staff tosses someone’s budget or upholds a protest, I respectfully ask that we keep the current self-trade rules as-is.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
11/29/19 11:07 a.m.

And back on topic:

SVreX, your Vibe gets worse every time you post. Not sure why you gave the KBB Good Condition as a reference. It’s got a bent rad support and front crash beam, it’s got E36 M3 paint, it needs tires, etc.  as it sits, that’s a car I’d offer $500 for and feel bad if my offer was accepted.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
11/29/19 12:03 p.m.

I think the FMV applies here because of the depreciation/appreciation clause. 

I see the FB marketplace Matrix as the ceiling at $800. The auto is a strike against it for us but likely a plus for the rest of the world. It has more dented panels, but it is shinier. It is a Toyota which is a HUGE plus for resale for it. I'm guessing if you showed up with $600 cash on the first day that Matrix hit the market you would get it. More like $500 if the rest of it is taken care of as well as the body.

I do have personal discomfort with some of the rules but I understand why they are the way they are. A big thing I tell myself is until a rule makes it impossible to compete unless you pigeonhole yourself into one particular style of build then I have no problem with the rule. The current rule set produces interesting varied winners and great content for the mag. I'd say they are pretty good.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
11/29/19 12:24 p.m.

BTW... 

My reason for asking is not a competitive one. It’s a marital one...

If I use the Vibe I own, my wife will be very happy to see me retire a vehicle it is time to part with.   If I buy ANOTHER donor car, we will officially have TWO cars in the yard that she doesn’t want there, and I will have to sleep in my truck!!  cheekycryingcheeky

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
JEfyG98fsUKFVwLeDJJgGNzrGc5NbNcpbQ1YsACKViJR4o6s4uxMOPPbiTs4177x