Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
3/24/22 10:43 a.m.

In the tire rack mailer! Cool!

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
3/24/22 12:47 p.m.

Does money equal speed, or will one of the $2000 builds take top prize?

That kind of talk is what I was afraid of when the unlimited budget thing was announced. Unlimited budget cars can't be in concours to win over all so can't win top prize.

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
3/25/22 2:15 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

But should be judged. OK not for top Challenge prize but judged never the less. 
  Let's say  I show up with the latest Ferrari.   Since it's stock,  zero points for creativity.   

But let's say someone does a wonderful job fabricating a nice car but he's over the $2000 limit.  Why can't he win his class?  
    Several cars over the $2000 limit?  The winner is the person who does the best for the least. 

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
3/25/22 2:39 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

If you've followed the Challenge the last few years you'd know that judging time length is a major problem. I think Tom said some 45 cars is the limit. That's one reason I was surprised to see exhibition cars judged last year.

Captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
3/25/22 2:55 p.m.

There are literally any other concourse events or judged shows for the non $2000 class cars to be judged at. 

There's only one real way to judge a project car, how badly your significant other wants it gone. 

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
3/25/22 5:24 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

In a time crunch cars could be judged waiting for the drags and autocross.  

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
3/25/22 5:37 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

Ok I'll just defer to your superior knowledge of how the Challenge works. 

Captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
3/25/22 7:41 p.m.

I also feel like it's inception watching GRM being advertised in the TireRack flyer after decades of TireRack advertising in GRM. 

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
4/4/22 8:24 p.m.

Something tells me the challenge will be changed forever.  We will have to see if this makes it better; that would be good for the event. 

03Panther
03Panther UberDork
4/5/22 3:13 a.m.
frenchyd said:

In reply to Stampie :

But should be judged. OK not for top Challenge prize but judged never the less. 
  Let's say  I show up with the latest Ferrari.   Since it's stock,  zero points for creativity.   

But let's say someone does a wonderful job fabricating a nice car but he's over the $2000 limit.  Why can't he win his class?  
    Several cars over the $2000 limit?  The winner is the person who does the best for the least. 

100% missing the point of the challenge. 
over budget cars are there with the knowledge, that they are only there for the fun. No prize for that, so no need to be "judged" at all. 

03Panther
03Panther UberDork
4/5/22 3:16 a.m.
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) said:

Something tells me the challenge will be changed forever.  We will have to see if this makes it better; that would be good for the event. 

I'm sure it will bring more people. I am also pretty sure it will not be a great thing for the concept. But not my call, so alls good!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
tVE96pr3w5fULTGBg9pFGjHkCHQh88d7NLDuPnQKn4leriJKrWkbdvFph0OaICio