DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
6/11/21 3:33 p.m.

It's a clothing rack. I purchased 5 of them over a decade ago for $5 each from my local Meijer store. We kept one for when my wife has a garage sale, but the other four were cut up for the steel tubing. I still have a few pieces of the steel left and could use it in building the firewall of the Challenge Corolla. I have no receipts for them . I was intending to prorate the $5 over the length of usable tubing, but is $5 a reasonable price point to start with, or not?

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
6/11/21 4:40 p.m.

I'm good with $5 cause that's something I could get free off the side of the road.

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
6/11/21 4:46 p.m.

I was going to say there's no real way to find a cost for something like this , but..........Marketplace - Hanging rack | Facebook

LOL.....Not exactly the same, but damned close.

May be an image of outdoors

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/11/21 5:50 p.m.

In reply to DeadSkunk (Warren) :

I'm ok with $5 also. 

temick
temick New Reader
6/11/21 11:18 p.m.

That combined with some sheet metal from appliances that are thrown away. You could rock a maytag badge under the hood.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
6/12/21 8:22 a.m.

I need some of the appliance sheet metal, short of driving around the neighborhood on trash day, how do you find this?

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
6/12/21 8:52 a.m.

In reply to Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) :

I've picked up filing cabinets on the side of the road twice so far, neither was a trash day. You can buy file cabinets all day for $10-15 and there's a lot of metal in one. Several years ago one Challenge team put an ad on Craigslist offering to haul away your dead fridge, then they took down the ad as soon as they had enough responses.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/12/21 9:15 a.m.

Measure up the total linear footage of the rack. Divide the amount you actually used by the total linear footage. 

Like if there is 5 linear feet in the rack, and your part is 1 foot long, you've used $1 of material.

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
6/12/21 10:01 a.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

That's what I intend to do. I just wanted some confirmation that $5 was an acceptable start. There's over 60 feet of tube in that rack, so it'll be cheap per linear foot.

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
6/14/21 5:49 p.m.

Surely someone else thinks this is worth $5.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UberDork
6/14/21 5:51 p.m.

I'd agree to $5.  Like you said, I've picked up similar on the side of the road for nothing.

Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter)
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/14/21 5:53 p.m.

Yeah, happy with $5

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
SVreX (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/14/21 7:44 p.m.

Number 5. 

But good lord are we all cheapasses!!  $5 prorated?? Haha!!

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
6/14/21 9:59 p.m.

I used up 3 feet of it today.....that's like 30 cents to my budget !  I'll have to measure accurately to figure out the real number later. It's likely a little less. smiley

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
SVreX (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/15/21 5:59 a.m.

Start with $5, divide it by 60, then divide it again by 12 to find cost per inch used. 

This hurts my brain. Haha!

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
6/15/21 8:46 a.m.

In reply to SVreX (Forum Supporter) :

As off this morning , I've used 87 inches (8.25 feet) @ $0.0833/foot = $0.6872.....give or take a smidgen.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/15/21 8:47 a.m.

I have a bunch of steel angle iron that I bought similarly. Local Menards had taken down a display and were selling off the pieces for $2 each. I bought about 42 linear feet of some very thick angle for $16. Sure it had some holes and was bent in one spot per piece, but I think I've used some on 4 challenge cars now? 3 at least. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LftZ32SSCgDc8UEk6yEb3NN051yXD6hCC7OOn8erbXVym9T7lgR702uOydKgrDWc